Reload this Page >

Amazon remotely deletes "1984" from Kindles

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon remotely deletes "1984" from Kindles

Old 12-21-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Amazon remotely deletes "1984" from Kindles

Amazon claims it was a technical issue, the user had been misinformed by customer service as to the reason of the issue, and that it has since been fixed:
http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...-blame-disney/
Amazon, however, wrote to Ars and Jackson himself. The company explained that Jackson had been “misinformed” by customer service.

“The problem you experienced was a temporary issue with some of our catalog data and it has been fixed,” Sally Fouts, an Amazon spokesperson, said via e-mail. “If you still have problems, please let us know. Customers should never lose access to their Amazon Instant Video purchases. If they have any issues accessing purchased videos, they should contact customer service.”

Jackson's purchase was restored after his story was covered by Boing Boing and The Guardian.
It sounds like Disney asked Amazon to temporarily remove the video in question from purchase, and Amazon accidentally removed it from viewing as well.
Old 12-21-13, 05:30 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It sounds like Disney asked Amazon to temporarily remove the video in question from purchase, and Amazon accidentally removed it from viewing as well.
I think that's exactly what happened. I own the same title at Vudu (Disney's Prep & Landing). It was removed from the service a couple weeks ago. They relisted the video earlier this week after it aired on ABC. But this whole time it's been available in my Vudu library. Amazon wasn't screwing customers, they just made a mistake.
Old 12-22-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep.. another reason I won't buy anything that I don't have a hard copy of.
Old 12-25-13, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Yep.. another reason I won't buy anything that I don't have a hard copy of.
You can always save a copy of any e-book from Amazon or other sources to your hard drive, or CD, or usb flash stick, so that it yours forever.

What they do in the “cloud” should never cause you to limit your options on many good ebooks.
Old 12-25-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird
You can always save a copy of any e-book from Amazon or other sources to your hard drive, or CD, or usb flash stick, so that it yours forever.
Not necessarily. Those copies will be DRM-locked, meaning you'll need their programs/devices to actually read it, and they can revoke authorization. Even if authorization isn't revoked, they may not authorize new devices, meaning that your files will be inaccessible once the originally authorized devices all stop working.

This happened with some DRM-ed WMA music files from a few stores, the biggest being MSN and Yahoo's music stores:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9998504-93.html
Old 12-25-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

iTunes DRMs the hell out of their stuff too. It's irritating, because they have some good stuff I'd like to put on a USB stick and won't be able to.