Reload this Page >

New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

Old 09-15-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: New Dan Brown novel coming 9/15

Target's front display was pretty picked through.
Old 09-16-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just received an email confirmation that my library is holding a copy for me.
wOOt!
Old 09-17-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm enjoying this about 100+ pages in; while it's generally more of the same Dan Brown stuff, the setting is interesting as are the history behind DC and the Masons.
Old 09-17-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm enjoying this about 100+ pages in; while it's generally more of the same Dan Brown stuff, the setting is interesting as are the history behind DC and the Masons.
im about 200 pages in and gotta agree w/ u. His books are well written and detailed but the 'robert langdon series' all feel the same.
Old 09-17-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Drav3n
im about 200 pages in and gotta agree w/ u. His books are well written and detailed but the 'robert langdon series' all feel the same.
Yeah, I also find that i'm a lot more annoyed with the whole aspect of withholding information from the reader for the purpose of a big reveal a few chapters later now then I was before. I think i'm also spoiled by the Illustrated Editions of Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code, as I find myself stopping to Google some of the locations that he comes across to see what they look like.
Old 09-17-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am having a hard time in getting interested in this book. I am about 100 pages or so in, and it just seems like it is more of a chore to read than anything else. I'll definitely continue on to finish it since I want to see how it ends before I read any spoilers, but I gotta say at this point, it's pretty disappointing (plus it is basically the same as the other Langdon books, as noted before).
Old 09-18-09, 11:08 PM

Well, Im done w/ the book. This time the "twist" was kinda obvious (to me atleast it was). As detailed as the story was, it couldnt keep me as interested as I thought. I felt like it was a homework assignment to get it finished.

I think im just gonna return the book and get my money back..this isnt a book i feel worthy of having in my collection haha
Old 09-19-09, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished it as well, and was very underwhelmed. Actually, I disliked the book, and that doesn't happen frequently. As for the twist, if you didn't see it as soon as the groundwork was laid for it, I don't think that you were reading it close enough. This was the worst Robert Langdon book by far.
Old 09-19-09, 08:50 AM

^ ^ completely agreed.
Old 09-19-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't hate it but it was a bit of a slog to get through (especially the last bit), and the big surprise was really obvious and not surprising at all.
Old 09-20-09, 01:00 AM

I read this book a few years ago when it was called "The DaVinci Code".

That was the first Dan Brown i read, and then read "angels and demons" before that movie came out.

But this one is really the same as both those books...female tag-a-long, naked evil person.

This book also seemed a bit dumbed down for the new fans that will be buying his book at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-21-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finished this last night and still thought it was enjoyable. More of the same, but that's pretty much all I was looking for. Unfortunately the Masons just weren't as interesting a topic as the Illuminati or the Holy Grail, which made Langdon's journey a little less interesting to me, especially since there was less running around uncovering pieces of history at various locations.

I didn't see the twist coming, so maybe I was just oblivious. After the climax was kind of a bore though and just rehashed the same discussions made earlier in the book. Also, one of the reviews compared a character to Jar Jar Binks, which I didn't really see at all.
Old 09-21-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

OHHHHHHHHHHH

Is it another book where the hero runs away from people chasing him while solving puzzles?

Old 09-21-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
OHHHHHHHHHHH

Is it another book where the hero runs away from people chasing him while solving puzzles?

Are you new to Dan Brown?
Old 09-23-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just finished The Lost Symbol, and I enjoyed the journey, just not the destination. Unlike a lot of Brown-haters, I don't have any beefs with his style of writing or his characters, and as escapism it fits the bill neatly. It's not highbrow, but it's fun stuff.

The clues and locale were fine - as was the whole Freemason theme - but I found the final reveal a letdown, and two of the other big reveals seemed telegraphed rather loudly.
Old 09-25-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Just finished The Lost Symbol, and I enjoyed the journey, just not the destination. Unlike a lot of Brown-haters, I don't have any beefs with his style of writing or his characters, and as escapism it fits the bill neatly. It's not highbrow, but it's fun stuff.
I agree. After all, there are only so many ways an action/suspense/mystery book can go. So, after you've read a certain number of books, the only thing that CAN be done is to tell an interesting story. Brown slant on that is the 'hidden clues among us' angle where he finds interesting and (often) plausible tidbits and then builds a story around them. The problem with the Lost Symbol is that the 'secrets' aren't really interesting.

Spoiler:
I'm guessing something went wrong with his clues. Either he built the framework on something that was already in another book or fact checking ruined an idea. Again, just a guess but I find it hard to believe that he went down the C.I.A. route of hidden symbols just for a post-mortem. Nor do I think that he thought that there was enough excitement the secrets he did have to build a book around. Not even close.

I really didn't see the big reveal coming. Perhaps it's just me but the idea that someone listens in on the warden in a third world prison is so weak, it is sickening to even mention. Just awful. The other gag-gable thing was Miss CIA genius sending Langdon and the sister off with one dude on the pretense of making sure that the brother isn't questioned by the police - which could be taking place as they speak. Ever hear of a thing called a telephone? I mean I know they need to advance the plot but I shouldn't have to fight the hurl reflex as I read it.

The other thing was the mysterious word of enlightenment. You know it can't go anywhere as you're reading along but at least you can see or comprehend the treasure or see a hint of its power (a la Raiders of the Lost Ark). Here we know it can't go anywhere, don't see the treasure and see no hint of its power (other than what was revealed early with the sister's accomplishments). What did we get? The bible might have veiled or secret meanings. And if they are discovered, it still won't matter a hoot. What a letdown/bust.

Last edited by ctyankee; 09-25-09 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

i thought it was okay. i think i liked angels and demons the best out of the 3, though.
Old 09-28-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about a third of the way through, and I do agree that the Langdon formula is a little tired. I thought the mason stuff would be really interesting in Brown's hands, but so far I think I actually like what National Treasure did better. I LOVED Angels and Demons and Da Vinci, but those both felt more intricate than this does.

I have to say, I seriously would pay for an audiobook version of Robert Langdon classes. Some of the most interesting things in these books are the flashbacks to when Langdon is teaching. I wouldn't mind Brown writing little short lessons about topics he was interested in that wouldn't work in a story. But I'm sure that's just me.

I will finish it, because it's ok, just not worthy of it's print run.
Old 09-29-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LeeVing
This book also seemed a bit dumbed down for the new fans that will be buying his book at Wal-Mart.
How can something be more dumbed down than The Da Vinci Code?
Old 10-07-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Some of the most interesting things in these books are the flashbacks to when Langdon is teaching.
Except for the fact that no college students talk/act like that. Every time he has one of those lecture sections I just roll my eyes.
Old 10-16-09, 08:25 PM
FuQ

I'm pretty sure I've read this before. I can almost see the actors they will cast in the shitty Ron Howard movie coming our way.
Old 10-18-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Total Brownian deja vu. And the twists were even more predictable than his earlier books. The puzzles were pretty weak, and the "big secret" was totally lame. Not impressed at all. Glad I didn't buy this rag.
Old 10-19-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Except for the fact that no college students talk/act like that. Every time he has one of those lecture sections I just roll my eyes.
Well sure they don't, but that doesn't stop those scenes from being entertaining for me. It sort of like the scenes in Indiana Jones movies, where Indiana is in full Dr. Jones mode, working on a chalk board. I love that stuff. I don't care about the realism.
Old 10-29-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Well sure they don't, but that doesn't stop those scenes from being entertaining for me. It sort of like the scenes in Indiana Jones movies, where Indiana is in full Dr. Jones mode, working on a chalk board. I love that stuff. I don't care about the realism.
Except Dr. Jones's students don't "erupt in bewildered and thunderous applause" or make any number of unbelievably idiotic comments. The cheese was just too much for me. And did anyone notice that Brown used the verb "chuckle" like a thousand times? Every freakin' person was chuckling in this book. Glad I sold it quick...
Old 10-29-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but one of Dr. Jones' students did write a mash note on her eyelids.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.