Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The one and only electronic dictionary recommendation & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one and only electronic dictionary recommendation & discussion thread

saw some electronic dictionary's at borders and was wondering if anyone uses these things? not sure what kind I should get. don't need all the gadgets, just a dictionary. seem a lot more convenient when at a library, instead of having to open a book. i like to know the definitions of every word i see
Old 07-03-06, 04:29 AM

no one uses an electronic dictionary?
Old 07-12-06, 01:44 AM
Cool New Member

I use the Franklin SCD-1870 that has the complete Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, 11th Edition. I take it with me everywhere and it has proven to be very handy while working on my thesis.
Old 07-12-06, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use dictionary.com sometimes. Does that count?
Old 07-12-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
I purchased one for my PDA, a while back, and it works great!
I bought it for Scrabble "debates," but I can use it any time.
Old 07-12-06, 04:18 PM

hey aasimon, how do you like that dictionary? are the keys easy to push? have you ever not been able to find a word? how much you pay for it? might try to catch a deal on ebay for it.
Old 07-12-06, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

I like it a lot but I do have to admit that there has been the odd word here or there that it can't find. It doesn't bother me that much because it doesn't happen very often and it is the complete MW 11th Ed. The keys work fine for me but my hands aren't that big, so there is the possiblility of hitting more than one key if you have thick fingers. I paid $100 for it two years ago, but you could probably find it for much less these days. It looks like amazon has it going for $80.

One of my favorite features is the thesaurus. When I am writing and I start to get redundant with my choice of words, I just hit the thesaurus key and "voila", instant options. It also works great when you are reading an author who likes to flaunt their massive vocabulary. I always have it by my side when reading literary criticism or classic literature. Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-06, 01:20 AM

yes that does help, thanks. might go ahead and get that one. hopefully can get a good price on it. does it pronounce words for you? thanks!
Old 07-18-06, 02:54 PM
Cool New Member

It does pronounce words for you, but since it is in a "computer" voice it is not always clear.
Old 01-20-08, 01:34 PM

electronic dictionary: am i the only one?

Ok, so im hooked to my electronic dictionary. It's a Sharp PW-E550. Its a great thing to have when i dont know the definition of a word and the history function lets me go back and review words. Yes, im a nerd
Anywho, As im becoming more of a dictionary whore I have found out this electronic dictionary fails in certain ways:

No backlit screen (hard to see unless under a light). History function only goes about 20 words deep (hey, i like my words!) Wish there was a SAT prep type quizz(s) on the dictionary. And would prefer a built in encyclopedia for quick lookups.

So my question is: Am i the only one who is really anal about a good electronic dictionary? While i dont really need an enccylopedia attached to, i really wish there was a deeper history list of words and a backlit screen.

Can anyone recommend me a better electronic dictoinary that has some of these key features? I'm gonna guess there isn't a huge market for electronic dictionaires (considering reading isn't exactly a huge hit among many people)
Old 01-20-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Yes, my gf uses one but english isn't her first language
Old 01-27-08, 09:13 AM

When I read, I have my reference books nearby. I use 2 dictionaries (American Heritage and OED), a book about pre and suffixes, an atlas, a Spanish/English dictionary for when I'm reading in spanish, and a mythology book. It takes me forever to finish some books because I will look up anything unfamiliar to me. I'm thinking about getting a laptop so I can access all of the above references quickly. I am definitely a logophile.
Old 01-27-08, 10:15 AM

apple computers come with an electronic oxford english dictionary/thesaurus on it, and it's phenomenal.
Old 01-27-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Promethean
When I read, I have my reference books nearby. I use 2 dictionaries (American Heritage and OED), a book about pre and suffixes, an atlas, a Spanish/English dictionary for when I'm reading in spanish, and a mythology book. It takes me forever to finish some books because I will look up anything unfamiliar to me. I'm thinking about getting a laptop so I can access all of the above references quickly. I am definitely a logophile.
Wow, impressive...or insane!

I actually thought about getting one of these for a second. I'll be at work sometimes and all of the sudden I'll hear a word or think of a word, but then I'm not totally sure of it's definition. What I've started to do (or try to do) is just to write the word down and look it up when I'm near a computer. Dictionary.com is my addiction.
Old 01-28-08, 02:45 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Promethean
It takes me forever to finish some books because I will look up anything unfamiliar to me.
Ha, I'm kind of the same way. I'll look up any word I don't know, or if a book brings up an interesting subject I'll head to Wikipedia to read more about it.
Old 01-28-08, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Wow, impressive...or insane!
Hey boredsilly, I'll give you an example: today I was reading The Decameron and there was mention of a few notable doctors. Who they were was not at all important to the plot, but it was killing me that I did not know who they were, so I wrote their names down and looked them up.

And DRG, Wiki is also the first place I look online.
Old 01-28-08, 08:37 PM

dang, i just wish more time and effort went into making better electronic dictionaries and encyclopedias. Wish more people gave a shit about reading so there would be a demand for better ones.
Old 12-08-08, 10:45 PM

any electronic dictionaries with backlit displays?

i'm really looking for a good quality (Somewhat) compact electronic dictionary that has a backlit display so i dont have to read right under light to see the word. Does anyone know where these can be found? I currently own the Sharp PW-E550 which works well except for the fact it doesn't have a backlit display. Seems to be slim pickings when it comes to electronic dictionaries. I love the things! maybe im just a word whore
Old 03-25-09, 03:44 PM

Re: The one and only electronic dictionary recommendation & discussion thread

i am really looking for a good electronic dictionary also...