Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Stephen King: Under The Dome

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 08:19 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Stephen King: Under The Dome

Finished it. Loved the ending; though it was anti-climactic, action-wise, none other could have fit the main theme. The secondary themes were surprisingly overtly political, though hazy enough to satisfy anyone's politics.

Great piece of writing; the 1000+ pages drifted by effortlessly.
Old 01-08-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Halfway through now and I officially love it. Everything is really pushing forward so well. I'm dying to know what's going to happen next. Really tempted to skip ahead, hard to resist.

No one writes villains like Stephen King.
Old 01-28-10, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Raced through this in less than a week - terrific read, one of the best "pop fiction" books I've ever read.

For me, the dome was like a Hitchcock "McGuffin" - a device to get to the real story. The book is not titled The Dome - it's Under The Dome - and it's King's perceptions about contemporary society and human nature that elevate this book to something more than a "scifi" novel.
Old 01-28-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

good book but very ridiculous ending..
Old 02-09-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
good book but very ridiculous ending..
I don't think the ending is ridiculous at all. If you are on with the concept of a mysterious dome suddenly appearing, the ending is not anymore out there. It's hinted at well before the ending, and nearly confirmed somewhere around 740.

Not to mention thematically it makes sense. There's the idea of microcosms in society. The idea of a big creature picking on little creatures. Jim Rennie being one of them, which is further reflected in the US government, and of course the very literal story of the magnifying glass and the ants. The Dome is very much so an ant farm, with all this hustle and bustle.

Not liking the ending is one thing, but to say it doesn't fit, well I think King very much so justified it.
Old 02-10-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

like everything we all have our own opinion...I understood the end and how it fit but it still didnt make it any less ridiculous to me..as much of a King fan as I am I always felt his weak point were his endings give or take a couple of books..this was one of the weakest

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 02-10-10 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 10:41 PM

I didn't like the ending, I thought it was very half-arsed. The story though, amazing, the characters were good except for the relentless heroic lines. Argh, not every one in a small town will have the same sarcastic sense of humour.

But yes. I felt kind of cheated at the end conclusion, I guess I was expecting way more intensity around the dome than what was recieved.

The dome, realistically, was the second main focus. The First was the Arsehole Jim Jennie.

Spoiler:
And WTF is with his death? He smashed someones head in with a golden baseball, broke someones neck then dressed them up like a fooking halloween dummy, and all he gets it's a heart attack? common!

I still really liked this book though, was money well spent because it was entertaining. SK never fails to make me happy.

Last edited by Mudo; 02-12-10 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-12-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well let's talk about what could be a better ending. Terrorists? Government experiment? Unexplained? Or maybe he could've just spent more time on the aliens?
Old 02-15-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought the ending was fine. Better than some of King's endings.

Spoiler:

Once you find out that the Dome IS an alien construct, playing on their sympathies made sense to me. If you can't destroy it, what are your other alternatives? Waiting until they get bored and turn it off after everyone dies would have been a crappier ending, IMO.

Also, I thought Rennie's demise was good too. Him getting out and getting a trial and all that would have justified his "big place" in things to him. This way, he's alone, he knows he has failed, and he also sees that Barbara and friends have lived. That had to eat at him in his last moments. Also, none of the main characters had to "dirty" themselves by ending him. That worked fine for me too.

Old 02-15-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I definitely agree playing to the sympathies was good idea. It was in contrast to how everything else was done in that book. Rennie was all about getting physical, and when the way to end it was just to ask, well it's kind of funny and a great contrast and in line with the themes.
Old 02-24-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
Not liking the ending is one thing, but to say it doesn't fit, well I think King very much so justified it.

In my opinion the ending wasn't bad, but it wasn't surprising either.
Spoiler:
Maybe I would have liked it more if the origin of the dome was not revealed and the group couldn't escape.
Old 02-26-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

Finished this the other day. Probably my favorite King book since the Green Mile or Bag of Bones (haven't read Lisey or Duma yet though). It kinda felt like a large scale version of the Mist.

He did an excellent job crafting Big Jim Rennie as one of the best villains in all his work. He's up there with Flagg and Pennywise, IMO. Although his demise was pretty weak. It's comparable to Flagg though, I guess. 'Not with a bang, but a wimper.' On the 'good guys' side of the coin, Barbie was very reminiscent of Stu Redman.

There seemed to be a lot of buildup of characters that really didn't matter in the end. Seemed like padding to me.

Originally Posted by Drop
Well let's talk about what could be a better ending. Terrorists? Government experiment? Unexplained? Or maybe he could've just spent more time on the aliens?
I was thinking it would/could have been Randall Flagg or Dark Tower thing. Anything could have been better. However I do agree with HeilHeiser about the climax up until the Dome reveal was some of the best shit King has ever written.

Originally Posted by HeilHeiser
Best Stephen King ending in a while. I'm not talking about the...(spoilers)

Spoiler:
...aliens, but the climax of the novel with the propane atomic bomb. My god, what images I had in my head. So terrible. Just imagining the hell of it. What a dark ending for King. I mean I was expecting a few hundred casualties in the town, but all but 30-some! That was some of the saddest stuff King has written in some time, the last few hours of the survivors' (and the ones that didn't make it) lives before the dome was lifted. I was surprised as hell, usually he lets children survive, I was getting broken up about Aidan and Benny. And Ollie struggling to live after everything that happened. The comment about the atmosphere being like Venus was a good description, and made for great imagery.
Old 05-10-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Just an FYI: The $75 limited edition of DOME is on sale for 50% off at Barnes & Noble right now.
Old 05-11-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts

The Collector's Set? It's showing 32% for a $50 pricetag
Old 05-11-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Perhaps just brick-n-mortar stores? It's tagged 50% off at my two local stores. And yes, that's the one.
Old 06-09-10, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished it and really enjoyed it. I liked it better than Duma Key, which was the last SK book I read.

Loved the parts with Andy and The Chef and everything that happened with their situation and afterwards. The only bits that seemed questionable were
Spoiler:
the dog hearing dead people. Really? That seemed like a weak way to find the envelope under the couch.

and Carter turning the lights out with Rennie. He was supposed to be pretty smart, no? I guess not that smart after all. lol.

Small complaints though. Those two just stuck out for me.
Overall, it was a really good read.
Old 06-09-10, 12:58 PM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Paperback comes out July 6th:

Old 07-21-10, 05:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts

Bump!

I just finished the audio book. I also bought the limited edition shortly after initially starting the audio book, but only read a few pages here and there. As someone else mentioned, Raul Esparza is a fantastic narrator. He really gave each character their own distinct voice.

As for origin of the Dome, I didn't love it... but it did feel like an appropriate answer.

I think this would make for an excellent miniseries. Hell, it could even be a full season of a TV series (but no more than that.)
Old 07-21-10, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Bump!

I just finished the audio book. I also bought the limited edition shortly after initially starting the audio book, but only read a few pages here and there. As someone else mentioned, Raul Esparza is a fantastic narrator. He really gave each character their own distinct voice.

As for origin of the Dome, I didn't love it... but it did feel like an appropriate answer.

I think this would make for an excellent miniseries. Hell, it could even be a full season of a TV series (but no more than that.)

King said something about Under The Dome being on hbo.
Old 07-21-10, 05:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 846 Posts

Yeah, nothing new has been mentioned since November. I have a feeling that fell through.
Old 07-27-10, 05:45 PM
Banned

Read it a couple months ago, and it was pretty typical for King, which means not bad, except once again the characters were really one dimensional, especially Big Jim. He was Snidely Whiplash bad in terms of characterization and believability.
Old 11-30-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Picked this up over the summer, got halfway through and got hung up on too much bad stuff hitting all at once. Restarted about two weeks ago and finally finished last night. I thought the ending was spot on. It could have been all
Spoiler:
the alien's parents coming and releasing them, or demanding that the humans beg for release, but it was just one little girl deciding to let a tired, scared rat out of the maze.
Old 11-30-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts

I have under 100 pages to go. I literally just got to the part where the propane bomb goes off and while the first 300 pages or so were slow and character developing, after page 400 I was all in. I love how King develops a character and you never know if that person will turn out to be a hero or die the very next page
Old 01-23-11, 01:12 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I started reading it just over a month ago and I'm currently at page 759. It's an outstanding book - possibly the best I've ever read. It's hooked me and I can't wait to find out what happens next.

I'm going to avoid reading much of this thread, due to fear of spoilers.
Old 01-23-11, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm late to the party too! I just finished it a couple of days ago. I broke my Kindle cherry with it While I certainly wouldn't call it the best book I ever read - or even the best Stephen King book I ever read - I think it's one of his stronger efforts. Like King's best, it isn't so much the idea that's key (the whole "mysterious force cuts a town off from the rest of the world" has been done many times). It's how well King brings the characters to life, and makes you care about what happens to them. And he does a great job of that here. Big Jim Rennie and his thug police force are absolutely loathsome. And Barbie and his friends are easy to root for - not overbearingly cutesy or too perfect.

I didn't mind the ending. If anything, on the scale of Stephen King endings, this is on the higher end. Despite some worries I read earlier in this thread, King doesn't abandon the cause and creators of the dome. If you were expecting a more detailed scientific explanation ... well, if you're at all familiar with King I don't know why you'd expect that. It was pretty clear that the crux of the story was how the people trapped under the dome reacted - not some sci-fi adventure centered around the dome creators. I was a bit let-down by
Spoiler:
Jim Rennie's low-key death. After 1000+ pages of evil, I was hoping for something a little more satisfying. And the way in which the dome was eventually removed ... I can see how some wouldn't like that. But King had been setting that up throughout the book - with themes of bullying, morality, and innocence. With the dome being created by god-like child aliens on another world, I don't know how he could've ended it differently (without it being worse).

Originally Posted by Wick
I'm going to avoid reading much of this thread, due to fear of spoilers.
That is an excellent idea. Spoilers (even unhidden ones) abound!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.