Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone here read "Nightwatch" by Sergei Lukyanenko?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I just saw the Russian fantasy/Horror film "Nightwatch" and I'm about to watch the sequel "Daywatch". So far I like the what I've seen and I'm now interested in reading the book series that the 2 films are based on. A third film is apparently being made in America.

Anyway, the book series features:

"Nightwatch"
"Daywatch"
"Twilight Watch"
"Last Watch" (7.7.08 release date)

So basically I'm looking for some thoughts on the books.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-13-08 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny you should mention this - I just watched Daywatch over the weekend and absolutely loved it! I own the 3 published books in the series and plan to get the fourth when it comes out. Now about the books - I really enjoyed them, more than I thought I would. The translations seem to be very good; the language isn't stilted or awkward and you could believe that they were originally written in english.

There is one thing you have to realize though - the first book is divided up into 3 separate parts, and the first 2 parts are what comprise the first and second movies, respectively. The only similarity between the book and movie versions of Daywatch is in the title. Otherwise the movie version is completely different from the book.

That being said, I still highly recommend the books. If you enjoyed the movie then definitely give this a read. The books expand a lot on the ideas and themes presented in the movies, and it was great getting more info about the Others and their history. I was considering rereading them after I've completed the book I'm currently reading.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-13-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Thanks, that's encouraging and I think I'll pick them up.

And yeah, I had read some info about the changes made between the books and films on Wiki so I was aware of differences. I guess the books also deal more with the moral struggle the Light faces in dealing with the Dark as far as using traps or something like that? I know the Nightwatch film dealt with that some but apparently it's a much larger part of the books.