DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Recommend a Neil Gaiman book (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/524835-recommend-neil-gaiman-book.html)

Boot 02-10-08 11:13 AM

Recommend a Neil Gaiman book

After watching and enjoying "Stardust," I decided to check out Neil Gaiman. So far, I have read "Anansi Boys" as it was the only one the used bookstore here had. I didn't love it, but it was quirky and enjoyable enough for me to be interested in trying another Gaiman book. So I know there are a lot of Gaiman fans out there. What would you recommend? Where should I go next?

Lastyear 02-10-08 02:48 PM

Try Fragile Things.It's a collection of his short stories.I prefer them to his novels.

Eric F 02-10-08 02:50 PM

I really enjoyed his first book co-written with Terry Pratchett:

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

pelenor 02-10-08 05:11 PM

I too recommend Good Omens. I haven't laughed so hard at a novel as I did with that one. But if you really want to read his best stuff, pick up Sandman from DC comics. It was a remarkable book and they are now collected in trades that you can pick up.

mhg83 02-10-08 06:52 PM

I really enjoyed American Gods. And Anansi boys is related to the American Gods book.

innocentfreak 02-10-08 09:40 PM

I didn't care for Good Omen. I made it about three quarters of the way through but got bored.

I also recommend American Gods. It was a good read. I never got to read Anansi Boys though

dvd182 02-11-08 08:42 AM

I'll recommend American Gods as well. It's very good.

Chew 02-11-08 08:58 AM

Another vote for Good Omens.

PalmerJoss 02-11-08 11:29 AM

Definitely American Gods, which Anansi Boys was a kind-of sequel to.

JiM T 02-11-08 03:52 PM

"The Eternals" was a good read last year, and now it's out as a nice hardcover book. "1602" was even better...

mugwump 02-11-08 07:20 PM

I've read most of his stuff -- books and graphic novels alike -- and while I find something to enjoy in each work the two that have stayed in my mind the longest are "Neverwhere" and "American Gods."

Jay G. 02-12-08 03:18 AM

Huge fan of his work, so it's hard for me to single out just one offering. However, if you liked the movie adaptation of Stardust, why not read the original illustrated novel?

On a related note, Neil Gaiman's going to distribute one of his books as a free download via his blog for a month, in celebration of the 7th anniversary of his blog. The link below takes you to where you can vote for which of his books will be given away, as well as viewing the current results.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/0...day-thing.html

At the moment, American Gods has the most votes, although Neverwhere isn't far behind. Good Omens isn't an option because it wasn't written by just him.

look4sheep 02-12-08 06:13 AM

Coraline and 1602 from Marvel Comics

Ozzy's Bat Head 02-14-08 12:46 AM

Another big vote for American Gods; truly original and engaging. I was sorely disappointed in the 'sequel' Anansi Boys, so if you did like that, I'm sure you love AG.

xmiyux 02-15-08 06:47 PM

Another vote for Good Omens. An incredibly funny novel.

celmendo 02-17-08 09:48 PM

Another Good Omens vote and Sandman collections even more so

chris_sc77 02-18-08 10:15 AM

The best: Stardust, Sandman (the complete collection of graphic novels is amazing); Anansi Boys, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders; Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions; M Is for Magic

Worst (couldn't even finish these books) : Good Omens (w/ Terry Pratchett) , INterworld (w/ Michael Reaves)'

Havn't read American Gods and Neverwhere yet.

Ginwen 02-18-08 11:53 PM

Neverwhere and the Sandman graphic novels are my favorites, but American Gods and Stardust aren't far behind. I just read the Eternals and that was really good too. Actually, most of what I've read by him (which is most of what he's written) is pretty good. Probably Good Omens and Anansi Boys were my least favorite but as you can see in this thread they have their fans too.

xmiyux 02-19-08 07:09 AM

I will admit to being a big Terry Pratchett fan as well, so my love for Good Omens was for both authors. Gaiman brought his dark kind of flavor and Pratchett brought his wit and silliness. It was great.

Fladnag 02-25-08 04:40 PM

Since all the Neil Gaiman books have been listed you might try The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue.

DRG 02-28-08 04:53 PM

I love Neverwhere.