Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot
For the time being, Alchemist is free for the Kindle, so get it while it's hot.
Awesome! I've been wanting to get this book. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 04-30-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ocelot
For the time being, Alchemist is free for the Kindle, so get it while it's hot.
Thanks. As a non-romance novel free book, I'll check it out (teen is fine, romance=no way). Hopefully it's not written by Michael Scott of the Michael Scott Paper company.

Here's a link, since The Alchemist shows up in a lot of Kindle titles: http://www.amazon.com/The-Alchemyst-...1115325&sr=1-1
Old 04-30-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Alchemist is an excellent Coelho novel imo.
Old 04-30-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is there a way to find a list of Kindle books as they add them or are we on are own?

The reason I ask is because I looked last week and didn't see any Phillip K. Dick novels. Yesterday I searched for "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" because I was going to click on the link to request it for Kindle and now it is available as are quite a few of his other novels.
Old 05-04-09, 10:11 AM
Vel
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might try some free-ware sites (not sure if the copyright is out on that book) - there are a few that post new books the day the copyright expires
Old 05-04-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardW
Is there a way to find a list of Kindle books as they add them or are we on are own?
Here's a link to Amazon's "Hot New Releases" list for Kindle items:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/new-release...r_digital-text

At the bottom of that page is a link for the RSS feed.

Here's a link to their free download page:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node...ink_83988291_1

As an aside, I found this site listing "Top 50 Kindle 2 Sites":
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/04/17/...le-2-websites/
Old 05-04-09, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Bigger Kindle coming Wednesday...screen is huge!
Old 05-06-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple of freebie SF books I came across today I don't remember seeing before. Neither shows up on the Amazon free page. Both are first of a series.

Elric Stealer of Souls by Michael Moorcock
http://www.amazon.com/Elric-Stealer-...1586728&sr=1-1

The Axis of Time: Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham
http://www.amazon.com/Axis-Time-Weap...1590808&sr=1-1

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-06-09 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-06-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info on the Elric book!
Old 05-06-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

If anyone cares, I discovered how to use the "notes" function on my iPod nano. You just copy the text into Notepad, then save to your iPod and read as a text. I am running into a filesize limitation per each file. Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 05-07-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Kindle DX is on the Amazon.com page. The Amazon DX screen is 2.5 times as large as the regular kindle. It's better for PDF files, and for reading newspapers and magazines and textbooks.

I'd have no interest precisely because it is so much bigger, but I can see it serving a market.
Old 05-07-09, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, i've heard that if you subscribe to the NY Times or something like that you get the Kindle DX for free?
Old 05-07-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not free, but at a discount maybe:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...new-kindle-dx/

"Three newspapers — The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Boston Globe — will offer a reduced price on the Kindle in exchange for a long-term subscription. The Times and Globe will be offered starting this summer in areas where home delivery is not available. No prices of that promotion were released."
Old 05-07-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
The Alchemist is an excellent Coelho novel imo.
I'm 30% in and already put money down for the Magician. Damn, i guess the free Alchemist (Book spelled Alchemyst) is not really free
Old 05-07-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
Not free, but at a discount maybe:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...new-kindle-dx/

"Three newspapers — The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Boston Globe — will offer a reduced price on the Kindle in exchange for a long-term subscription. The Times and Globe will be offered starting this summer in areas where home delivery is not available. No prices of that promotion were released."
Ah, thanks man, i wonder what the reduced price is... for people read those papers, i think it's all good. While I like the DX's bigger screen, but it's not very portable, especially on the crowded Subway trains. However, the DX is great if you're in your comfortable reading spot (but then so does any paper books, ).
Old 05-07-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just noticed that I apparently own 2 kindles according to Amazon... :/
Old 05-07-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Lee Child's Persuader is free for download until May 19th.

Amazon.com Review
Jack Reacher, the taciturn ex-MP whose adventures in Lee Child's six previous solidly plotted, expertly paced thrillers have won a devoted fan base, returns in this explosive tale of an undercover operation set up by the FBI to rescue an agent investigating Zachary Beck, a reclusive tycoon believed to be a kingpin in the drug trade. The novel begins with a bang as Reacher rescues Beck's son from a staged kidnapping in order to get close to his father--and trace the connection between Beck and Quinn, a former army intelligence officer who tried to sell blueprints of a secret weapon to Iraq but was murdered before he could pull it off. Or so Reacher thinks, until he spots Quinn in the crowd at a concert in Boston. As usual, Child ratchets up the tension and keeps the reader in suspense until the last page, although his enigmatic hero hardly ever seems to break a sweat. In the tough guy tradition, Reacher and his creator are overdue for a breakout, and this muscular, well-written mystery might be the one. --Jane Adams
Old 05-07-09, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nth Power
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Lee Child's Persuader is free for download until May 19th.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 05-08-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So how far way are we from having color e-ink displays? This larger Kindle has very much piqued my interest and if they eventually move to one that will let me view magazines and comic books on it (a page at a time) in color just like they would be on paper.... I would be all over that thing.
Old 05-08-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
So how far way are we from having color e-ink displays?
Not until 2010 sometime.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/08/p...ny-reader-com/
Old 05-08-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the looks of the bigger Kindle, and I can see the native PDF support as a huge plus for a big group of people. Any word of if Amazon plans on moving that support to the smaller Kindle? I am actually moving towards getting some sort of e-book reader soon, as I think it would come in great on overnight or weekend hiking and kayaking trips I plan on making this summer. I may wait for color support or lower prices on B&W units though, I still think they're kind of expensive.
Old 05-11-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm looking to buy an iphone or ipod touch this summer and Amazon has a Kindle app for it. Rumor is that Apple is also coming out with a tablet this year and Amazon will probably port Kindle to it as well or they will just add a book section to the ITunes store.

No way that i'm paying $400 to $500 just for something that only can be used for books. and i've read opinions on the internet that Amazon doesn't really care about the Kindle hardware. they just want to jumpstart the software market, get their software on as many devices and will probably kill the hardware as soon as they can
Old 05-11-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy

No way that i'm paying $400 to $500 just for something that only can be used for books. and i've read opinions on the internet that Amazon doesn't really care about the Kindle hardware. they just want to jumpstart the software market, get their software on as many devices and will probably kill the hardware as soon as they can
I agree with the first part. The Ipod Touch/Iphone is actually great for reading books on. I don't find the screen too small at all since I can adjust the font to a comfortable level. Carrying that Kindle DX around with me is an insane idea and even the regular is bigger than I would want.

I disagree with the second part though. I think Amazon wants to dominate the ebook world in software and hardware. The Kindle is the perfect device for them because it steers all your purchases to them and since your books are in that format it encourages you to keep buying future Kindles. The average consumer is not going to figure out how to strip DRM or any of that other stuff. They will just keep buying Kindle books and Kindle hardware.
Old 05-11-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I broke down and bought a Kindle 2 and, I must say, I absolutely love it. I'm wondering, though, if there is a way to change the info for the author on the Kindle? I have some books where the author name will be in the form of "last name, first name" and I want to change that so the author name would read normally, with the first name appearing first. Is there a way to change that?
Old 05-11-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I agree with the first part. The Ipod Touch/Iphone is actually great for reading books on. I don't find the screen too small at all since I can adjust the font to a comfortable level. Carrying that Kindle DX around with me is an insane idea and even the regular is bigger than I would want.
It's not the screen size of an Iphone that's the problem, it's the display itself. I cannot stare into an LCD for hours on end like I can a piece of paper. The e-ink tech is like paper. That's what matters most. Iphone is a convenient portable, but it's not like Kindle 2 is a big inconvenience. I'm used to carrying books, I don't need them to fit in my pocket. Kindle 2 is a fine size, Kindle DX seems like something you'd use at home or in a hotel room only.

I'm glad their's a Kindle app for the Iphone, seems great as a supplement to catch a few pages when I'm out, like when the GFs in the dressing room. As the main reading device, it fails for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.