Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Old 02-17-09, 01:36 PM
  #201  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

i pre-ordered a K2.0 for myself... i'm tired turning pages on the Subway. I love hardcovers, but seriously, they're really taking up the space and damn hard to carry around. Never a fan of paperbacks (only borrow, never buy if there's a choice, unless it's instructional books).

The damn jacket for the Kindle is $30 Sorry, my Kindle just gonna be naked until there's a cheaper jacket (if it's on on back order that is).

Anybody know any cheap alternatives to Kindle jackets? It doesn't have to be pretty, good enough to cover up the Kindle so that it doesn't get banged up in the backpack.
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 01:39 PM
  #202  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
Although as someone else mentioned, with the Kindle, and others, it looks like you get what you pay for.

The $5 Complete Works collections get great reviews, as they are indexed and allow you to jump to a specific story. They have all sorts of other features.

Others that are free don't have that. You have to page by page go through the entire library.

Exactly... Complete Sherlock Holmes, carry that around with you all the time, priceless (not that people care, but just one example).
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 03:45 PM
  #203  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,330
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

I preordered a K2.0. I bring a ton of books anytime I go on vacation even a short one so hopefully this will have a positive impact on the weight of my luggage. Anyway, that's my excuse, but I also just want it.
Ginwen is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 05:14 PM
  #204  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
Although as someone else mentioned, with the Kindle, and others, it looks like you get what you pay for.

The $5 Complete Works collections get great reviews, as they are indexed and allow you to jump to a specific story. They have all sorts of other features.

Others that are free don't have that. You have to page by page go through the entire library.
Although I don't have a Kindle, I just downloaded "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" from www.freekindlebooks.org and opened it with Mobipocket Reader in Windows. This is a collection of short stories, and has an index that allows you to jump to a specific story. So depending on which free book you download, they can have indexes and possibly other features.

Also, I think a lot of the reviews for the "Complete Works" collections are cross-referenced from the print editions, as has happened with this Sherlock Holmes collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherl...dp/B0013XW2F4/

I will say, however, for Sherlock Holmes specifically, this Illustrated Kindle edition may be worth the $4, considering most of the the free versions won't include the original illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holme...dp/B0012D1CMY/
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-17-09, 05:27 PM
  #205  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Just browsing the Kindle Store on Amazon, I see that there's a number of free books offered via their service.

For one, you can likely find a free version of public domain books published by "Public Domain Books", like this version of Dracula:
http://www.amazon.com/Dracula/dp/B000JQUBRM/

However, if you check the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section, you'll see a number of non-public-domain books that are currently free, such as The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death by Laurie Notaro
http://www.amazon.com/Idiot-Girl-Fla...dp/B00125JO6I/

And The Foreign Correspondent by Alan Furst
http://www.amazon.com/The-Foreign-Co...dp/B000GCFW00/

There's also some romance novels floating around in there.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-18-09, 08:19 PM
  #206  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,229
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by moviezzz View Post
Although as someone else mentioned, with the Kindle, and others, it looks like you get what you pay for.

The $5 Complete Works collections get great reviews, as they are indexed and allow you to jump to a specific story. They have all sorts of other features.

Others that are free don't have that. You have to page by page go through the entire library.
Not true at all. Most of the free collections I have for my Reader are nicely formatted, with illustrations, a clickable table of contents (to go directly to different stories), etc. I have a bunch of these collections, like the Wizard of Oz books, Sherlock Holmes, a few Edgar Rice Burroughs series, etc. The mobileread site has many of these ebooks posted in their forums that have been formatted even more nicely by various contributors.
drmoze is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 09:51 AM
  #207  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 14,020
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Another question for any PRS-505 owners: do any of you use a storage card, and if so, how successful are you? I know that the specs say that it can handle a 16G card, so I tried mine in it. It takes forever to load anything. I probably only have 2 gigs of stuff on the card, and I've yet to see it load. It actually ran out of power at one point when I decided just to let it go until it loaded. What is the realistic limit that you should have on a card if you really want it to load?
movieking is offline  
Old 02-23-09, 06:24 PM
  #208  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,379
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Just ordered a Kindle 2 today and it should be here tomorrow (splurged for the $3.99 one-day shipping). I know its sounds odd, but as someone that reads quite a bit going to e-Books will be a huge change.
Cory02 is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 10:14 AM
  #209  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Although I don't have a Kindle, I just downloaded "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" from www.freekindlebooks.org and opened it with Mobipocket Reader in Windows. This is a collection of short stories, and has an index that allows you to jump to a specific story. So depending on which free book you download, they can have indexes and possibly other features.

Also, I think a lot of the reviews for the "Complete Works" collections are cross-referenced from the print editions, as has happened with this Sherlock Holmes collection:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherl...dp/B0013XW2F4/

I will say, however, for Sherlock Holmes specifically, this Illustrated Kindle edition may be worth the $4, considering most of the the free versions won't include the original illustrations.
http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holme...dp/B0012D1CMY/
thanks for the free books link, got all of them
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 10:19 AM
  #210  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

For the Sherlock Holmes, i went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherl...=pd_sim_kinc_2

Simply b/c it got more rating than the Illustrated one.
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 10:19 AM
  #211  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Just ordered a Kindle 2 today and it should be here tomorrow (splurged for the $3.99 one-day shipping). I know its sounds odd, but as someone that reads quite a bit going to e-Books will be a huge change.
You can order eBooks while the Kindle is in transit
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 10:26 AM
  #212  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

IMO, the following free books should be added to your Kindle

A Dangerous Man: A Novel [Kindle Edition], Price: $0.00
Six Bad Things: A Novel [Kindle Edition], Price: $0.00
Caught Stealing [Kindle Edition], Price: $0.00
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 12:53 PM
  #213  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,379
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
You can order eBooks while the Kindle is in transit
One step ahead of you. Ordered a couple books yesterday after I ordered the Kindle.
Cory02 is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 08:05 PM
  #214  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,196
Received 382 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
For the Sherlock Holmes, i went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherl...=pd_sim_kinc_2

Simply b/c it got more rating than the Illustrated one.
Note that the majority of those ratings are for either the paperback or hardcover editions, so the fact that it has more ratings doesn't actually tell you much about the Kindle Edition specifically.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-24-09, 08:17 PM
  #215  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 920
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Gave in and just ordered myself a Kindle 2 w/ the leather cover. I love having the actual books but I travel 5 days a week all year long and I just figure this will be the best way for me to read books, news, etc.

I look forward to it getting here on Thursday. Also I second picking up those free books by Charlie Huston. Excellent books, excellent writer.
M Polo is offline  
Old 02-25-09, 08:41 AM
  #216  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,160
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Just ordered a Kindle 2 today and it should be here tomorrow (splurged for the $3.99 one-day shipping). I know its sounds odd, but as someone that reads quite a bit going to e-Books will be a huge change.
actually the convenience of it along with the clear crisp type has caused me to read more than I ever have
Deke Rivers is offline  
Old 02-25-09, 11:14 AM
  #217  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

i just loaded the thing with enough free books to last me an entire year... I don't think Host for $10 is a good deal. Just pay few more bucks and you can have the hardcover. Of course, few bucks is few bucks, still a better buy on the Kindle, just that lending your copy to a friend after you're done is tricky...
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-25-09, 11:15 AM
  #218  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Note that the majority of those ratings are for either the paperback or hardcover editions, so the fact that it has more ratings doesn't actually tell you much about the Kindle Edition specifically.
i know.. damn, bad impulse buy... shoulda went with the illustrated one
Ocelot is offline  
Old 02-25-09, 11:32 AM
  #219  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Cory02 View Post
Just ordered a Kindle 2 today and it should be here tomorrow (splurged for the $3.99 one-day shipping). I know its sounds odd, but as someone that reads quite a bit going to e-Books will be a huge change.
Originally Posted by Deke Rivers View Post
actually the convenience of it along with the clear crisp type has caused me to read more than I ever have
My first Kindle arrived yesterday, and e-books are such a huge change for me that I still have 3 paperbacks on order, out for delivery today.

And Deke is right about the benefits of the nice clear e-ink. I tend to read cheap paperbacks, and the print always looks fuzzy to me (yes, I've had my eyes checked.) The type on the Kindle is perfect, plus you can increase the font sized if the default size is too small for you.
meglet is offline  
Old 02-27-09, 04:20 PM
  #220  
Web
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 45
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

I got my kindle 2 yesterday. I wish it wasn't so wide. I thought it would be the size of a paperback but it's bigger. Not a big deal, just a wish. I'm finding it hard to get used to. What I like in a book is being able to see how much more I have to read or when the chapter ends. Can't really do that with this. It's kind of lifeless. And because all books look the same on here, it's like all one big book to me. Sometimes I like reading different editions of the same novel. The print is different, the feel is different, etc. But that would be pointless on this. And I don't like that. I don't get the same sense of accomplishment after reading that I do with books. But I'll keep trying.
Web is offline  
Old 02-28-09, 02:46 AM
  #221  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Ordering a Kindle as soon as my tax check gets here (probably Monday, shouldn't be later than Tuesday). I'm just hoping it's still in stock by then.
JimJ is offline  
Old 02-28-09, 04:31 PM
  #222  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Web View Post
I got my kindle 2 yesterday. I wish it wasn't so wide. I thought it would be the size of a paperback but it's bigger. Not a big deal, just a wish. I'm finding it hard to get used to. What I like in a book is being able to see how much more I have to read or when the chapter ends. Can't really do that with this. It's kind of lifeless. And because all books look the same on here, it's like all one big book to me. Sometimes I like reading different editions of the same novel. The print is different, the feel is different, etc. But that would be pointless on this. And I don't like that. I don't get the same sense of accomplishment after reading that I do with books. But I'll keep trying.
Can't help you with the chapter thing, but the bar across the bottom when you're reading a book is the indicator of how far along you are.

The little row of dots under each title in the home page is also an indicator, although I haven't quite figured out how to interpret that one yet. Something to do with how long Kindle thinks that book is compared to the other books, and then how far along in that book you are.

I have to admit, after 4 days I'm still not quite adjusted to reading on Kindle. I was able to change the font and line spacing to get more words on one page, which helps it look more familiar to me, since I'm used to paperbacks where 2 pages worth of words are visible at once. The width of Kindle doesn't bother me, but after a while I find it's too thin to hold comfortably in one hand and hit the page buttons with that thumb. I picked up the Amazon Kindle cover on a coworker's recommendation, and with the front flap folded back, it's now the perfect size for comfortable one-handed use.

My plan for this weekend is to spend as much time as possible reading my Kindle so I get very used to it. Sounds like a hardship, really.
meglet is offline  
Old 02-28-09, 06:02 PM
  #223  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,857
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
Exactly... Complete Sherlock Holmes, carry that around with you all the time, priceless (not that people care, but just one example).
I have the eReader version of this with me at all times. A must have for me. I've probably read it through a dozen times the past 10 years or so.
darkside is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 12:26 PM
  #224  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,330
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

It has taken me a few days, but I'm getting adjusted to mine and now I think it's pretty cool. Mobileread.com was a big help for things like library books (which require some tools to use on your kindle) and free books. I got a couple of "books" on Mobileread that basically consist of links to hundreds (or thousands maybe) of free books and stories you can get wirelessly on your kindle (including the complete sherlock holmes, with illustrations and well-formatted).
Ginwen is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 03:01 PM
  #225  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 339
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Kindle - ebooks & readers v "traditional"

The Kindle app for iPhone was released today. No Kindle required, you can send samples and Kindle books straight to the iPhone. (Currently you can't purchase directly from the iPhone app, unless you are buying from the end page of a sample.)

As a Kindle owner, I find this little app a great compliment to my Kindle. Thanks to Whispersync both devices remember my place in my book, and it's nice for the times I don't have my Kindle with me, such as when I was only supposed to be running some quick errands and then ended up stuck at the pharmacy for an hour without my Kindle.
meglet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.