Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

question for Stephen King fans

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

question for Stephen King fans

Old 10-13-07, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For 1000 plus pages King, I like It over The Stand. The Dark Tower is a must, there's a lot for everyone to love about that series (and hate depending on your tastes).

Don't forget the Bachman books, The Long Walk and Running Man.
Old 10-13-07, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
A King newbie really shouldn't start out with The Dark Tower.

The DT series doesn't really stand on its own, as it ties in with a number of King's other books. It's not a good introduction at all.

(Readers will find that pretty much all of King's novels and short stories occur within the same universe -- or multiverse, as it were. Astute readers will pick up on all kinds of little details that tie various stories together.)
Old 10-17-07, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Eyes of the Dragon is a bit different than normal King though.

Oh, and stay far away from The Tommyknockers. Just read the short story "The Revelations of 'Becka Paulson" instead. Far better.
Old 10-17-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A King newbie really shouldn't start out with The Dark Tower.

The DT series doesn't really stand on its own, as it ties in with a number of King's other books. It's not a good introduction at all.

(Readers will find that pretty much all of King's novels and short stories occur within the same universe -- or multiverse, as it were. Astute readers will pick up on all kinds of little details that tie various stories together.)
I have to disagree. While there's a lot of tie-in, I think The Dark Tower stands by itself pretty well. I know multiple people who read it having read no previous King and they enjoyed it enough to cause them to check out more of his work.
Old 10-17-07, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahlers
Eyes of the Dragon is a bit different than normal King though.

Oh, and stay far away from The Tommyknockers. Just read the short story "The Revelations of 'Becka Paulson" instead. Far better.
I agree. Tommyknockers was the only SK book I forced myself to finish.
Old 10-17-07, 12:52 PM
Suspended

I really loved IT and The Shining. I'd also recommend The Long Walk, The Night Shift (which has a lot of tales that were made into movies like Children of the Corn and Trucks) and Pet Sematary.

Also, what's wrong with Gerald's Game? I'm reading it now, I'm about 100 pages in and it seems pretty good to me.
Old 10-17-07, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by neosmith20
Also, what's wrong with Gerald's Game? I'm reading it now, I'm about 100 pages in and it seems pretty good to me.
I hated it. I thought it was the most boring thing I've ever read. I got what he was trying to do but I just don't think he did it. I think he fell well short.
Old 10-17-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked Different Seasons... of course that was a compilation of novellas as opposed to short stories. The only story in there that I am not particularly fond of is Apt Pupil, but 3 of the 4 stories were made into movies.
Old 10-17-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
For 1000 plus pages King, I like It over The Stand. The Dark Tower is a must, there's a lot for everyone to love about that series (and hate depending on your tastes).

Don't forget the Bachman books, The Long Walk and Running Man.
BIG fan of The Long Walk.
Old 10-17-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I like a lot of those mentioned. My favorite that hasn't been mentioned (maybe because he has a co-author on it, or maybe because the sequel wasn't as good) is The Talisman. The Talisman, the Stand, the Shining, and It are probably my favorite Stephen King books, with 'Salems Lot, the Long Walk and some (but not all) of the Dark Tower books close behind.

Edit: Just noticed the Talisman is due to be out as a miniseries approximately summer 2008.

Edit again: Oops I guess it's off again

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-17-07 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing I really remember about reading The Talisman was that it was torture to read the first 200 pages, literally took me 6 weeks. I read the remaining 600 something (I think) pages in a day-and-a-half. Once it got going it was almost impossible for me to put down.
Old 10-17-07, 09:07 PM
Suspended

What does everyone here think of Desperation? I know a lot of people like that book but I haven't seen anyone suggest this one yet on here. I was thinking of reading it myself.
Old 10-17-07, 09:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mlemmond
I hated it. I thought it was the most boring thing I've ever read. I got what he was trying to do but I just don't think he did it. I think he fell well short.
Ah I see. Well so far I haven't been bored with it, is there a part of the book where it just becomes dull, or did you find the whole thing boring from the get go?
Old 10-18-07, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by neosmith20
Ah I see. Well so far I haven't been bored with it, is there a part of the book where it just becomes dull, or did you find the whole thing boring from the get go?
No I was actually into it for awile but at some point I don't remember where it just came off the track for me and no matter how much I tried to keep reading I hated it.
Old 10-30-07, 04:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd second Misery or Pet Sematary for a novel.
Old 10-31-07, 12:45 AM
Suspended

Well I finished Gerald's Game this past Friday and I have to say it wasn't nearly as bad as what everyone says. Sure it wasn't his best, but it was far from his worst.

On another note; I decided to read Misery right after I finished the last book. I'm really enjoying it so far, I see why this one is considered one of his all time best.
Old 11-01-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Desperation (and "The Regulators") was just downright weird. I have no idea what King was thinking when he wrote those two books. I just wish he hadn't bothered.

"Blaze" was an out-and-out good story. It was a quick read for me (3 days or so). "Dolores Claiborne" was excellent, too.
Old 11-02-07, 06:55 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
Desperation (and "The Regulators") was just downright weird. I have no idea what King was thinking when he wrote those two books. I just wish he hadn't bothered.

"Blaze" was an out-and-out good story. It was a quick read for me (3 days or so). "Dolores Claiborne" was excellent, too.
I can understand your "weird" position on The Regulators, but not its companion piece, Desperation. That was a fantastic story IMO.
Old 11-02-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For first reads I would start with:

Night Shift (the first King I read, even the mediocre stories deliver)
The Shining
Cujo
Pet Sematary
Misery

His earlier stuff is far superior to anything after about 1993 is hit or miss in my opinion (except maybe The Green Mile). I like pretty much everything in the 80's, but I'm just not crazy about the Dark Tower, which cuts out quite a bit of his 90's and 00's work.
Old 11-02-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The first 4 books of the Dark Tower are great. Just finished 5 and halfway through 6 and I must say, they are so-so at best.
Old 11-03-07, 05:47 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I prefer his short stories to his novels. Hardcovers of Everything's Eventual is all over the bargain shelves, so it's a good, cheap way to begin.
Old 11-03-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
The first 4 books of the Dark Tower are great. Just finished 5 and halfway through 6 and I must say, they are so-so at best.
The last one is my favorite of the series, but you'll probably still think it's so-so. I think they're all great, really well done series.
Old 11-03-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Green Mile is one of my favorite stephen king books of all time. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-08-07, 10:52 AM

I agree that The Dark Tower series works on its own but I also agree that I wouldn't recommend someone to start with that series. It does make many references to his other works and will be a richer experience reading it after reading his other novels.

My recommendation is to start with the first and most well known. They are well known for a reason: The Shining, Firestarter, Carrie, Christine, Salem's Lot, etc.

The later ones are excellent and my favorite is the Stand.

No one has mentioned Rose Madder or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Not the most popular but good ones.
Old 11-09-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 510 Likes on 352 Posts
Another for Skeleton Crew as a King introduction. Follow up with Misery, Salem's Lot, and The Stand. By then you'll definitely know whether you want to continue. I prefer early King myself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.