Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Loving "A song of fire and ice" series, will I love "the wheel of time" series?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 08-19-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Well? Will I?

George RR Martin is great. Can't wait for the next book, even though it should have been out in 2006. So while I wait, I am thinking about the series of "The Wheel of Time" by Jordan (?).

Anyone have experience with both?
Old 08-19-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something we can finally agree on.

I love this series, too - soared through it. Haven't read the other one. But you know what I have enjoyed, as much as I thought it would be a "chick series," is Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series - it sounds like some lame romance, but it is fascinating and a great read.

I think if you liked "Fire and Ice," you'll like "Outlander."
Old 08-20-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Martin's a vastly better writer, IMHO. Doesn't mean you won't like Jordan, just that they're not interchangable by any stretch.
Old 08-20-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read it yet, but it seems that the most recommended series for Martin fans is the Stephen Erikson Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Old 08-20-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

For the most part, I am getting these from Audible. So if it isn't on there, I probably won't mess with it.

I NEVER LEARNED TO READ!!!
Old 08-20-07, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I haven't read it yet, but it seems that the most recommended series for Martin fans is the Stephen Erikson Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
As a reader who loves Ice & Fire, I went to the Malazan book based on the many recommendations. Didn't even finish it.

Lots of folks seem to like it, but it's far from universal.
Old 08-20-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Well? Will I?

George RR Martin is great. Can't wait for the next book, even though it should have been out in 2006. So while I wait, I am thinking about the series of "The Wheel of Time" by Jordan (?).

I have read all the ASOIAF and WOT series, and ASOIAF is infinitely more enjoyable than WOT. The first 4/5 books of WOT was really good, then the last 6 just go on and on. Robert Jordan should have renamed this to Wheel of Wordiness. But even the best WOT book doesn't hold a candle to ASOIAF.

I have read the first 2 books of Steven Erikson's Tales of Malazan. They are very different, and Erikson is kinda hard to read at times but gets easier as you know the universe (magic = Warren, etc) and the characters. It is very good, but if you don't like it by the end of Garden of the Moons (Book 1), then you probably won't like the rest.

I would recommend Gene Wolfe's Book of The New Sun Tetraology. It is incredible.
Old 08-20-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Bah. It sucks when what I really want is just more Goerge RR Martin.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 08-20-07, 04:21 PM

Have you read the GRRM "Dunk & Egg" short stories? They take place in the same universe but are placed further back in time. They converted them into a graphic novel called "The Hedge Knight," but you can get the original stories in the "Legends" compilation books.

WoT is excellent for the first few novels, but as other people have said, they do start to drag. I have a hard time getting into the Erikson books. I've read most of them that have been published, but I can only read them when I'm completely without distractions on vacation.

I'd also recommend Robin Hobb if you haven't tried her yet. The Farseer trilogy is dark and excellent, and I really enjoyed the Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies as well. I haven't been able to get into her newest trilogy (Soldier Son I think?) although I've only read about half of the first book.
Old 08-21-07, 01:23 AM

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend reading the Wheel of Time books. Like the others have said, the first 4-5 books a good, but then each book afterwards gets progressively worse and take longer to release.

Barring death (a possibility with his health problems) and delays (likely), the twelfth and last book comes out in 2009. Jordan's saying it'll be 1500-2000+ pages.

I'd wait until the series is completed and reviews are in as to whether the ending is worth it.
Old 08-21-07, 01:34 AM

HTML Code:
I would recommend Gene Wolfe's Book of The New Sun Tetraology. It is incredible
Excellent suggestion.

I would like to add Colin Wilson's Spider World series. Nope, it is not George RR Martin, but Wilson is a fenomenal writer and his Spider World books are definitely worth reading.
Old 08-21-07, 08:01 PM

I would still read the Wheel of Time at least once, it's not a bad story, there are just too many characters and plot development going on at the same time.

I read Erikson's first book myself and didn't care for it, I much preferred Wheel of Time. Another issue with the Malazan books is he doesn't number them, I went to a bookstore and had no clue which book to buy!
Old 08-21-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok - my opinion

Martin >>>>>> Jordan

BUT - both of them suffer from long series-itis - as BOTH series progress, they diverge and wander and just sort of make you go "what happened" after a while.

So - both have great starts, and so far - no finishes - and lots of expansion beyond enjoyability.
Old 08-21-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

J.K. Rowling - for all I complain about her verbosity - at least she understands the market and draws series to a close.
Old 08-21-07, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by keyed
At the moment, I wouldn't recommend reading the Wheel of Time books. Like the others have said, the first 4-5 books a good, but then each book afterwards gets progressively worse and take longer to release.

Barring death (a possibility with his health problems) and delays (likely), the twelfth and last book comes out in 2009. Jordan's saying it'll be 1500-2000+ pages.

I'd wait until the series is completed and reviews are in as to whether the ending is worth it.
This giant turd didn't end yet? I gave it up after four books when it became clear the series was nothing more than a cash cow to Jordan... and that was more than ten years ago.
Old 08-23-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I felt the same about the "Left Behind" series. I think I read 4 of them, and when I found out there would be 8 more, I thought, "You really only need about 30 pages, so I think I'll skip."
Old 08-26-07, 01:00 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I felt the same about the "Left Behind" series. I think I read 4 of them, and when I found out there would be 8 more, I thought, "You really only need about 30 pages, so I think I'll skip."
They're still milking that series with prequels and sequels. I saw one the other day that looked like it takes place at the end of Christ's 1000 year reign on Earth.
Old 08-26-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
They're still milking that series with prequels and sequels. I saw one the other day that looked like it takes place at the end of Christ's 1000 year reign on Earth.
That's the only "Left Behind" book I've actually read.

The writing was godawful (pun intended) and it read like a juvenile novel, but the whole thing was just so fucking surreal that I couldn't put it down. It's like you know it's awful, but you just can't put it down because you want to know how bad it's going to get. Like the Nic Cage Wicker Man remake.
Old 08-26-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mgbfan
As a reader who loves Ice & Fire, I went to the Malazan book based on the many recommendations. Didn't even finish it.

Lots of folks seem to like it, but it's far from universal.
That's too bad. I don't have my hopes up too high, but will still give them a shot. One thing that always worries me on the internet is when people like things because they are "dark or adult". I hope that's not the case with the Malazan books, it takes more than some incest and murder to make a good book (luckily Martin had more).
Old 08-26-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well? Will I?

I've posted countless times in this forum that Martin's books are my favorite fantasy series I've ever read (& I've read a lot). I cannot stress enough how much The Wheels of Time series sucks. After reading Martin, it essentially just feels like a high school student who only read Lord of the Rings trying to write fantasy. It is cliched, the first book especially is almsot exactly like LOTR story-wise, the characters are all 1 dimensional, paper thing cliches. It's just bad writing IMO. I know Jordan has he die-hard fans, but WOT is really just bromide, redundant, paint-by-the-numbers fantasy.

The only fantasy series that has not let me down, after reading Martin's is Steve Erickson's Moons of Malazan books. Intelligent, dark, & he tries & succeeds in breaking the fanstasy mold, the way Martin does. However it still isn't nearly as good as Martin.

Last edited by Sessa17; 08-26-07 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-27-07, 12:11 AM

Maybe we should discuss that series for awhile ....
Old 08-29-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I've posted countless times in this forum that Martin's books are my favorite fantasy series I've ever read (& I've read a lot). I cannot stress enough how much The Wheels of Time series sucks. After reading Martin, it essentially just feels like a high school student who only read Lord of the Rings trying to write fantasy. It is cliched, the first book especially is almsot exactly like LOTR story-wise, the characters are all 1 dimensional, paper thing cliches. It's just bad writing IMO. I know Jordan has he die-hard fans, but WOT is really just bromide, redundant, paint-by-the-numbers fantasy.

I love GRR Martin's books. If Ice and Fire pans out it will be my 2nd favorite author/series (after Robin Hobb).

I cannot stand the Jordan books. At all. I don't get why people think they are any good. This coming from a guy that's probably absorbed a thousand fantasy/sci-fi books over the past 15 years or so.

I'm no fantasy elitist. I like Margaret Weis's Dragonlance books, and Salvatore's Dark Elf books. But Jordan's books go on and on and don't seem to go anywhere meaningful, either story or character wise.
Old 08-30-07, 12:28 PM

I have greatly enjoyed both series and I am currently loving Erickson's books as well. I'm surprised Jordan isn't getting more pump here; while his series has ebbed and flowed, I still find them a great success and pinacle of fantasy. I think Jordan's unique working of magic and humor is amazing. True, Wheel of Time is not nearly on the intellectual scale of GRRM, has gone on far too long, and the middle books were a bit of slog, but the series is definitely on the upswing.

GRRM & Jordan each released their last books around the same time and Jordan's was far superior IMHO.
Old 08-30-07, 12:46 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I always have thought that the first 6 of Jordan's books were excellent fantasy. From books 7 to the one before the latest (10?), they've been plodding, boring, and wordy. The last one was a step back in the right direction, IMO. I think he has a good destination in mind, but got lost along the way telling the story. And the journey is just as important (if not MORE important) than the destination to me.
Old 08-30-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sold my Jordan books on ebay - got a few bucks. Best thing I ever did.

I'm worried Martin is headed the same way.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.