Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Old 07-22-07, 11:53 AM
  #76  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,884
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I definitely liked the book overall, but that epilogue was HORRIBLE. by far the worst chapter of any of the books.
Old 07-22-07, 11:56 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,884
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Spoiler:
The crying kid was the part of Voldie's soul that attached to Harry at Godric's Hollow. It's dead and would remain so whatever Harry decided to do, but its existence is what enabled Harry to return from the dead. However the main part of Voldie's soul is still in Voldie's body.
Spoiler:
the crying thing was indeed the piece of voldy's soul that's existed in him for years. however, that wasn't what allowed him to come back. the fact that part of harry still existed in voldy (from when voldy used harry's blood to bring himself back to life) is what allowed him to come back.
Old 07-22-07, 12:24 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 7,542
Received 210 Likes on 121 Posts
Loved it..got it Sat at 12:13am, read about 100 pages before I went to bed, woke up and kept going til I was done...terrific ending to the series...thought this was better than 5&6 and one of the best books in the series
Old 07-22-07, 12:43 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
namrfumot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,409
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved it! Now I'm sad that there will be no more
Old 07-22-07, 01:46 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jtrolltide
One question for those who have read it

Spoiler:
So when Harry is talking to Dumbledore in limboland, I assume that the kid crying is Voldemort?? Harry had a choice to either die or come back, and since he came back, Voldemort did too? If he would have chosen death, ole voldy would have died too?


That was the only part I was a little confused about.
Short answer: yes.
Old 07-22-07, 02:31 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,386
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I definitely liked the book overall, but that epilogue was HORRIBLE. by far the worst chapter of any of the books.
Oh, I loved the epilogue! A very satisfying conclusion.

Brilliant effort overall. Enjoyed it immensely.
Old 07-22-07, 02:54 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
FantasticVSDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: No longer trapped
Posts: 11,610
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a little worried there for a while about the ending, but overall I really enjoyed it. I am sad though its over, and I will probably not read any fan fiction stuff.
Old 07-22-07, 03:56 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,921
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished it and really enjoyed it. I was surprised at the amount of people who bit the dust
Spoiler:
even poor Colin Creevey wasn't spared
. I really enjoyed it and even though a few parts were jammed with too much exposition and the epilogue was a bit clumsy, I still think it was a fitting way to wrap it up... and I have to say that I loved the moment at the end
Spoiler:
where Harry explains to Albus about his middle name
. A decent ending to a great series.
Old 07-22-07, 04:03 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,720
Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
The only thing I didn't quite get in my rush to the end was
Spoiler:
how exactly is Draco the rightful master of the wand?



Shouldn't we also be at the point where spoilerizing these comments aren't necessary?
Old 07-22-07, 04:12 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Spoiler:
how exactly is Draco the rightful master of the wand?
Spoiler:
He "won" it off Dumbledore when he took it at the end of the previous book.
Old 07-22-07, 04:16 PM
  #86  
Mod Emeritus
 
benedict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Outside of the U.S.A.
Posts: 10,674
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Shouldn't we also be at the point where spoilerizing these comments aren't necessary?
Although my personal view is that anyone worried about spoiling the book for themselves shouldn't enter a thread of this title, I can imagine that some people would suggest that spoiler tags shouldn't be used about one micro-second after they'd finished the book in question - and not a moment sooner.
Old 07-22-07, 04:20 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 1,396
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I really enjoyed the book but was let down by the ending. Maybe thats because my prediction was wrong.


Spoiler:
It seemed to me that Rowling was following a bit of greek mythology. I believed that in the end the hero would die.

I also thought that it might be snape who would kill voldermort. I mean throughout the books Harry has never been a powerful wizard. Its kinda lame that Voldermort would be finished so easily.

Im also confused about the elder willow. It said Draco was the rightful owner and since Harry disarmed him, it went to him. But Harry never disarmed the elder willow wand in the 1st place. It just seemed to me that a disarming spell coming from harry wouldn't kill Voldermort.


Part way through the book Hermonie talked about horicruxes and said something along the lines that remorse was the only thing that could undo them. I though it would have fit better if harry used to the ring to bring back all the people that Voldermort has killed and that would cause him remorse and would let harry live. But im not the author so ah well.
Old 07-22-07, 04:48 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 4,086
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
I really enjoyed the book but was let down by the ending. Maybe thats because my prediction was wrong.


Spoiler:


Im also confused about the elder willow. It said Draco was the rightful owner and since Harry disarmed him, it went to him. But Harry never disarmed the elder willow wand in the 1st place. It just seemed to me that a disarming spell coming from harry wouldn't kill Voldermort.
Spoiler:
I didn't quite get the whole progression of the wand owner, either. I've also been kicking around the actual importance of the Deathly Hallows in the first place ... they seem more to demonstrate Dumbledore's weakness.

BTW, I think it makes perfect sense that Voldemort was killed by his own avada kedavra curse. I guess I'm not sure exactly why it bounced back this time, but I was pretty sure that Harry would not be casting the killing curse and it would have been totally wimpy to have Voldemort get killed by about any other method (except perhaps run through by Gryffindor's sword).
Old 07-22-07, 04:52 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
Spoiler:
Im also confused about the elder willow. It said Draco was the rightful owner and since Harry disarmed him, it went to him. But Harry never disarmed the elder willow wand in the 1st place. It just seemed to me that a disarming spell coming from harry wouldn't kill Voldermort.
Spoiler:
It works like this: Draco was the rightful owner of both the Elder Wand and his own wand. Harry won Draco's wand, which makes the Elder Wand his as well, because the Elder Wand knows that Harry disarmed Draco. Also, it isn't the disarming spell that kills Voldemort, it's Voldemort's own Avada Kedavra spell which rebounds when Voldemort tries to use the Elder Wand to attack Harry, the wand's owner.
Old 07-22-07, 05:28 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,267
Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts
I'm at the part where
Spoiler:
they find out it was Snape who cut off George's ear
and don't want to read the rest of the thread until I finish the book. Could someone send me an email message through here please with the answer to:

Spoiler:
Why was Stan Shunpike sent to Azkaban in the first place
? I won't be reading this thread for obvious reasons THANKS!
Old 07-22-07, 05:33 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 1,396
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Philip Reuben
Spoiler:
It works like this: Draco was the rightful owner of both the Elder Wand and his own wand. Harry won Draco's wand, which makes the Elder Wand his as well, because the Elder Wand knows that Harry disarmed Draco. Also, it isn't the disarming spell that kills Voldemort, it's Voldemort's own Avada Kedavra spell which rebounds when Voldemort tries to use the Elder Wand to attack Harry, the wand's owner.
Spoiler:
That makes scene, but the way I understood it that the wand you disarmed/stole would be your rightful wand. Harry had no actual contact with the Elder Wand. just seems like a little gap in the plot to me.

Also how was Snape able to deflect all Harry's curses at the end of the previous book and Voldermort couldn't. arrogance?
Old 07-22-07, 05:53 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dashed
Spoiler:
That makes scene, but the way I understood it that the wand you disarmed/stole would be your rightful wand. Harry had no actual contact with the Elder Wand. just seems like a little gap in the plot to me.
Spoiler:
It's not just that the wand you take becomes yours - the wand chooses its owner, remember. The Elder Wand knew that Draco had been disarmed of his other wand, and so became the property of Harry as well. The crucial point is that Harry won Draco's wand(s), not that he won the particular wand of Draco's that he took. I'm not saying it's entirely logical, but that's how it seems to be.


Spoiler:
Also how was Snape able to deflect all Harry's curses at the end of the previous book and Voldermort couldn't. arrogance?
Spoiler:
Do you just mean at the end, or at some earlier point in the book as well? At the end, Voldemort was using the Elder Wand, which was useless against the other wand Harry was using (Draco's original wand).
Old 07-22-07, 06:11 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
The only thing I didn't quite get in my rush to the end was
Spoiler:
how exactly is Draco the rightful master of the wand?



Shouldn't we also be at the point where spoilerizing these comments aren't necessary?
Spoiler:

He was the one who took Dumbledore's wand on the tower in Half Blood Prince.
Old 07-22-07, 06:45 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,624
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,074 Posts
Just finished it. One word: awesome.

Great pacing, complete unpredictability (you never knew who was going to go down next) and just an exciting read from the beginning to end.

The movie is going to have to be 4 hours long though - there are so many huge moments that are important to the story that it's basically going to have to be one long magic battle. I cannot wait!

I even teared up a little at the end - the epilogue was EXTREMELY satisfying and again, completely unexpected. It was nice to get that kind of conclusion to this story.

What a crazy ride this has been. It could not have had a more fitting end.
Old 07-22-07, 07:09 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
Just finished it. One word: awesome.

Great pacing, complete unpredictability (you never knew who was going to go down next) and just an exciting read from the beginning to end.

The movie is going to have to be 4 hours long though - there are so many huge moments that are important to the story that it's basically going to have to be one long magic battle. I cannot wait!

I even teared up a little at the end - the epilogue was EXTREMELY satisfying and again, completely unexpected. It was nice to get that kind of conclusion to this story.

What a crazy ride this has been. It could not have had a more fitting end.
Actually, there was quite a lot of waiting around doing nothing for about a third of the book, so the movie can condense that down to about a minute, no problem.

The action bits will be pretty fun once they're translated to screen.
Old 07-22-07, 07:13 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 43,624
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by mllefoo
Actually, there was quite a lot of waiting around doing nothing for about a third of the book, so the movie can condense that down to about a minute, no problem.

The action bits will be pretty fun once they're translated to screen.
I never felt there was a lot of down time - yeah, they were on the run but there was a lot of character stuff happening there as well as working on the central mystery.

I really appreciated the amount of time this book spent on the three main characters. Great to see the final book was mostly focused on them.
Old 07-22-07, 08:10 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that the aimless wandering had a point to it. This book, to me, seems so much more difficult to condense than any of those before it. I'd say Goblet of Fire was probably the hardest because it had the most action and most convoluted plot of any of the first six books. Order of the Phoenix was relatively easy because that had a LOT of stuff that was only meant to set the mood of the story. Half-Blood Prince is pretty straight forward and not overly long to begin with.

I think they'd probably want to cut most of the ramp-up to, and possibly the execution of, the raid on the Ministry.

But just think of all the high drama:
Spoiler:

Seven Harrys
Coup/wedding attack
Subsequent attempted capture
Raiding the ministry and narrow escape
"Bathilda Bagshot"
Discovering the sword
Mr. Lovegood
Capture/Malfoy Manor
Breaking into Gringotts
The tons of huge events that took place after Aberforth saved them...

I was around page 500 and I couldn't believe how much stuff was happening in this thing. It's not like the other books when Harry spends tons of time in classes, which the movies can so easily eliminate.

I can't see how they'd include the epilogue in the movie, but I imagine a lot of people would be glad to see that cut.


Perhaps the most surprising thing, for me, about this book was how sad I felt when
Spoiler:
Dobby died.
I didn't even like him. Of course, Rowling made a point of pumping the scene full of emotion.
Old 07-22-07, 08:10 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knowing how the movies are handled, for the most part, that part of the book will be edited to a minute. Five minutes tops. The other movies have already introduced us to the three main characters, so more character development onscreen would be a bit superfluous.

Though I suspect they will really play up the Ron and Hermione relationship a bit.

The movie will likely focus on the action at the end, and a bit of the action at the beginning, more than anything else.
Old 07-22-07, 08:13 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Ferment
Posts: 19,548
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the big train
The problem is that the aimless wandering had a point to it. This book, to me, seems so much more difficult to condense than any of those before it. I'd say Goblet of Fire was probably the hardest because it had the most action and most convoluted plot of any of the first six books. Order of the Phoenix was relatively easy because that had a LOT of stuff that was only meant to set the mood of the story. Half-Blood Prince is pretty straight forward and not overly long to begin with.

I think they'd probably want to cut most of the ramp-up to, and possibly the execution of, the raid on the Ministry.

But just think of all the high drama:
Spoiler:

Seven Harrys
Coup/wedding attack
Subsequent attempted capture
Raiding the ministry and narrow escape
"Bathilda Bagshot"
Discovering the sword
Mr. Lovegood
Capture/Malfoy Manor
Breaking into Gringotts
The tons of huge events that took place after Aberforth saved them...

I was around page 500 and I couldn't believe how much stuff was happening in this thing. It's not like the other books when Harry spends tons of time in classes, which the movies can so easily eliminate.

I can't see how they'd include the epilogue in the movie, but I imagine a lot of people would be glad to see that cut.


Perhaps the most surprising thing, for me, about this book was how sad I felt when
Spoiler:
Dobby died.
I didn't even like him. Of course, Rowling made a point of pumping the scene full of emotion.
The epilogue can be handled in the same way things were handled at the end of At World's End. Just a vignette after the credits. That kind of scene is really only a couple of minutes onscreen.
Old 07-22-07, 08:16 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just thinking it would be stupid to cast different actors for the main characters. Radcliffe, Grint, Watson and Wright could never pass for people in their mid-thirties.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.