Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Old 08-09-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She probably didnt want to admit to Vernon that she knew such a school existed (and even worse that she wanted in)
Old 08-09-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's what I figured.
Old 08-12-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Petunia never seemed not know about Hogwarts and Vernon also seemed to know about it all along. They knew about Harry's parents so no reason to not know that Lily went off to magic school. I think even in the first book, Petunia mentions that her parents were happy that Lily went to Hogwarts but she hated it. The Dursleys just always tried to pretend they didn't know about Hogwarts due to being scared of magic and especially if their neighbors found out about it. They were proud of being 'normal'
Old 08-12-07, 04:56 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by criptik28
Apparently Petunia knew about Hogwarts when she was a child...yet didn't she, along with Vernon Dursley, pretend not to know about it later when Harry was slated to go (in Book 1)?
Don't forget, in the first book, they were trying to act like magic/Hogwarts didn't exist in an attempt to keep Harry from getting involved in magic.
Old 08-26-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I laughed I cried what a wonderful ride. I'm tempted to reread all the books but I such a big backlog.

This was by no means my favorite but it was a good read. Of all the books this probably had the most useless pages in it. The length would have been ok if more interesting things were happening. I bet the fanfics will be filling in a bunch of stories for the other characters. Most likely filled with adult situations.

I think I like the movies less now. They seem to cause continuity problems. However, now that the last book is out maybe they will avoid any more future problems.
Old 08-30-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a question now that all 7 books are out. On disc 2 of the Prisoner Of Azkaban in the Divination section there is a featurette called Creating A Vision. At about the 6:45 mark Jo Rowling comments how Cuaron had inadvertently put in POA a couple of scenes that foreshadow things to come in the final 2 books (this was before they were written). She says that people will think they were put there intentionally as clues. I've just finished reading all 7 books for the first time and am now rewatching all the dvds & when I saw this I couldn't think of what she could be referring to. Does anybody know?
Old 08-31-07, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
I have a question...
I was thinking she was referring to the scene where Hermione grabs Ron hand during the first Care of Magical Creatures class. I dunno, though.
Old 08-31-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neocheddar02
I was thinking she was referring to the scene where Hermione grabs Ron hand during the first Care of Magical Creatures class. I dunno, though.
this is what i thought as well.

also I think when Snape puts the kids behind him as Lupin transforms into a werewolf
Old 09-02-07, 06:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the stuff that Cauron added was the stuff with Lupin and Harry on the bridge discussing Harry's resemblance to his parents.

Something like:
Lupin "You look so like your father, except."
Harry "My eyes. I know, everyone says I have my mother's eyes."

I think it is a direct reference to Snape looking at Harry's eyes as he is dying/Snape loving Harry's mother/staring into Harry's eyes so that his last image alive are the eye's of lily.
Old 09-02-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I think she was referring to Lupin's comments about Lily and how she had the knack of seeing the good in people even when they could not see it in themselves. I think has to do with Snape and Lily.

Last edited by sherm42; 09-03-07 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of interesting hypothesis about what couple of scenes she was referring to. It'd be nice to hear from her if she ever did another in depth interview like the Dateline with Meredith Vierra (or just answered questions from her fans in some other type of forum). What exactly was she referring to? If you're reading JK let us know.
Old 01-27-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
I have a question now that all 7 books are out. On disc 2 of the Prisoner Of Azkaban in the Divination section there is a featurette called Creating A Vision. At about the 6:45 mark Jo Rowling comments how Cuaron had inadvertently put in POA a couple of scenes that foreshadow things to come in the final 2 books (this was before they were written). She says that people will think they were put there intentionally as clues. I've just finished reading all 7 books for the first time and am now rewatching all the dvds & when I saw this I couldn't think of what she could be referring to. Does anybody know?
Thank you! I just finished reading the final book (got the set for Christmas and read them all in a month for the first time) and could not remember where I had heard that bit. I too had the same question.

FWIW, I agree with neocheddar and sherm42. Hermione grabbing Ron's hand is an obvious one that she was referencing (and obvious to the filmmakers, I'm sure, since the fourth book was out when they were making the third movie). I think the other one is Lupin's comment. In the script Lupin is apparently referring to himself, but it nicely applies to Snape as well.

Another nice moment in the third movie was when Sirius made the comment about the people we love never truly being gone, because they live on in our hearts. Subtly (and unintentionally) foreshadowing his own demise two years later.

(Apologies for the zombie bump.)

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 01-27-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: One & Only Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows thread [possible spoilers - duh!]

Zombie bumps are cool. At Christmas, my father and I both got Tales of Beedle the Bard and, since he only reads the paperback versions of the HP series, he hasn't yet read DH, obviously. I told him he couldn't read the Tales until I had read it to keep him spoiler-free.

Anyway, he brought out this book written by the mugglenet.com folks called "What will happen in HP7?" that he lent me. It's fascinating to read fans predictions based on snippets and quotes from JKR about what will happen.

One of the things that makes me is in the "Who Will Survive?" section is that the first entry is Dobby at 100:1. They were so positive he'd make it, he even beat Harry himself (4:1).

Anyway, it makes me want to go back and re-read DH. I probably will once the paperback hits myself and after I see HBP in July.
Old 01-28-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
...Anyway, it makes me want to go back and re-read DH. I probably will once the paperback hits myself and after I see HBP in July.
FWIW, a good way to "re-read" the books is to listen to the audio book versions. My library has most of them on CD so it was a simple matter to rip them and transfer them to my MP3 player. I find I enjoy audio books more if I have already read the book, makes the miles melt away. Good for long walks or long car trips. HP7 is about 20 hours, IIRC.

Towards the end of listening to HP7 it got so I couldn't wait for my next long walk because it was so hard to turn off!
Old 09-11-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never read the books. I am not a big reader and I wanted to enjoy the movies without being biased by the books. That being said after seeing HPB. I couldn't wait another year & a half to see what happens. So I listened to the Dale narrated audio book. Just finished it. Was shocked by the amount of deaths. I really thought Hagrid would die at the end...If the big 3 didn't. I also enjoyed the epilogue. A previous poster thought Harry might end up with Luna. I always assumed Luna would end up with Neville.

Good thing this book will be two movies.
Old 09-12-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Yes, when even poor Hedwig was killed right at the beginning, I was wondering if any character was safe (at the time, I was still uncertain whether Rowling would kill off Harry at the very end, although I considered it unlikely).

I assume that they will highlight the death of Hedwig and the apparent death of Hagrid in the first movie; it may shock some of those who haven't read the books. But, then, the death of Sirius Black in Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince were pretty shocking. Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire was one thing we barely knew him but Sirius and Dumbledore were the nearest thing to family that Harry had left!

I was really happy that they decided to make two movies. The Goblet of Fire movie abridged the book my favorite out of all recognition and turned it into the worst movie of the series, IMO. That book should also have been two movies. Of course, people are going to complain that WB is just trying to make more money with two movies for book 7. But that's fine with me!
Old 09-13-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like I have said before. They should have filmed the all the movies like Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings. Do regular theatrical versions. Then do special edition dvd's that added 1/2 hour to each of the movies.

Lizard, I agree. Not having read the books. I was shocked when Dumbledore died at the end of HBP. I always assumed it was he who died at the end of DH.
Old 09-16-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TOLEN
Like I have said before. They should have filmed the all the movies like Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings. Do regular theatrical versions. Then do special edition dvd's that added 1/2 hour to each of the movies.
While I would have liked that, remember that these movies were filmed with child actors who have rigid work rules in Great Britain. Filming significant amounts of extra material would have been difficult; it was tough enough to get each movie made in a timely fashion so that they could be made as the kids aged along with the characters they were playing. Also, the whole concept of "extended editions" planned from the get-go hadn't been shown to be so successful until Jackson did it.
Lizard, I agree. Not having read the books. I was shocked when Dumbledore died at the end of HBP. I always assumed it was he who died at the end of DH.
I was so surprised when I read that, I re-read it to see if I had missed something that suggested that Dumbledore wasn't "really" dead. But having read interviews with Rowling, I was aware that she doesn't like tricks like that. No overly dramatic death scenes for her: just "Avada Kedavra" and the character is toast.
Old 09-16-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
FWIW, a good way to "re-read" the books is to listen to the audio book versions. My library has most of them on CD so it was a simple matter to rip them and transfer them to my MP3 player. I find I enjoy audio books more if I have already read the book, makes the miles melt away. Good for long walks or long car trips. HP7 is about 20 hours, IIRC.

Towards the end of listening to HP7 it got so I couldn't wait for my next long walk because it was so hard to turn off!
That's a nice suggestion, lizard. I can see myself turning a 20-30 min. walk into an hour-long one with an audio book. Perhaps I'll try it out!
Old 09-17-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awil & Lizard,

I listened to the book on tape. And I agree my 30 minute workout while listening to it...Would get streched. Especially, if it was at an interesting part.