Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever read a whole book in one day?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 06-01-07, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If yes, what book(s) was it?

I read Of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby and The Devil Wears Prada, each in one day, for some examples.
Old 06-01-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read several of the Hard Case Crime books in one sitting, and when I was younger, I would read entire Edgar Rice Burroughs books in one day. These books are pretty easy reads, and if you have 3-5 hours to spare, you can make it through in one day.

I think the longest book I've read in one day was Stephen King's CARRIE.
Old 06-01-07, 09:19 AM

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts
Once, when I was thirteen. In 1992, I had read all of the Belgariad and Mallorean series of books by David Eddings, save the latest and last - The Seeress of Kell. I plunked down lots of cash to buy it in hardcover the day it came out at a B. Dalton in the mall I insisted my mother take me to while we were visiting her parents. I went into the spare bedroom and read it, cover to cover, in a day. I was accused of avoiding family.
Old 06-01-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts
I read Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors, in 1 sitting on a Sunday, with a Revenge of the Nerds marathon playing in the background. Had an exam the next day on it. Oh I miss college.

Last edited by stingermck; 06-01-07 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-01-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've read The Hunt for Red October in one day. I had a 12 hour layover in Nadi Airport in Fiji on my way back from Sydney to New York. I plan on reading the new HP book as quickly as I can.
Old 06-01-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nope. anyone who has the time to read a whole book has entirely too much time on their hands.
Old 06-01-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Many. I usually read Michael Connelly novels in a single day, but I am going through Overlook much slower.
Old 06-01-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many here as well. I was introduced to the Xanth books during my sophomore year of HS. One of the guys I ate lunch with let me borrow them. I would take one home and start reading stopping only to eat, etc, then finish before bed. Rinse, lather, repeat and I was pretty much current on the series in no time at all. I've gone to family functions and picked up some of my nieces and nephews books, ie A Wrinkle In Time, and read them while at their house, etc.
Old 06-01-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to sometimes, back when I had more free time and read faster than I do now. (One of the downsides to being a critic is that it changes the way you read, one of the consequences of which is that it takes longer to get through books.)
Old 06-01-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djmont
I used to sometimes, back when I had more free time and read faster than I do now. (One of the downsides to being a critic is that it changes the way you read, one of the consequences of which is that it takes longer to get through books.)
I agree that time is a factor, but one of the things I try to do when reading a book for review is to read it in as concentrated a time period as possible - within a day if possible. I find this sort of concentrated reading is the best way to evaluate a book, to keep it all in mind when considering its successes and failures.

Thankfully, I've been able to argue this convincingly to my wife, who now only shakes her head disparagingly (but understandingly!) when I set out into the front yard with fresh coffee, a new book and a cigar...
Old 06-01-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a bad way to read a book, but most novels take me 4-6 hours to finish and I never have that much uninterrupted time.

Of course, I have a 10-month old daughter, and she doesn't understand that when Daddy's reading, he's actually working!
Old 06-01-07, 02:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Silence of the Lambs. couldn't put it down.
Old 06-01-07, 03:02 PM

'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' and 'Letter to a Christian Nation' - quite different subject matter in each, though..
Old 06-01-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Years ago, I read Misery in one day. I think about all the extra free time I had back then and I cry.
Old 06-01-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 338 Likes on 242 Posts
Because I wanted to have discussions with a girl I was trying to woo... I read The Bridges of Madison County and Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend which were her favorites books. Needless to say, I felt like a douche.
Old 06-01-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Never.
My fastest reads were Sphere (2 or 3 days, can't remember) and Jurassic Park in 3 days.
Old 06-01-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lots of times. If I get into a book and I don't have anything to do I will keep reading till done. Also if I have a long flight since I can't really sleep on planes. Last one was Tuesday flying from Amsterdam to Seattle I read Poul Anderson The Shield of Time
Old 06-01-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by djmont
Not a bad way to read a book, but most novels take me 4-6 hours to finish and I never have that much uninterrupted time.

Of course, I have a 10-month old daughter, and she doesn't understand that when Daddy's reading, he's actually working!
It's all in the training!

My seven year-old son has grown up with me disappearing into the study (or the yard, for extended periods of time. The revision process on the novel was hellish - lots of weekends where I disappeared early Saturday and re-emerged late Sunday...
Old 06-01-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by neiname
I've read The Hunt for Red October in one day. I had a 12 hour layover in Nadi Airport in Fiji on my way back from Sydney to New York.
Which reminds me of the only book I've ever read through in one sitting: Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. Basically started reading it on a Sat. morning, pulled an all-nighter and finished it Sun. afternoon.
Old 06-01-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont think I ever finished a book in one day even with all the free time in world. Even early Harry Potter books were at least two days. I must not process as fast as most folks do, guess that is part of the LD. I also stop and take like ten minutes at times and try to picture and imagine what I am reading and what would be like in greater detail.
Old 06-01-07, 06:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I hate being a slow reader. I'm a good reader in that I remember everything, but I'm just slow.
Part of it is the Tourette's. I get stuck on a word and go nutso for a few moments or I have to re-reda a section over again.
Old 06-01-07, 10:52 PM

Received 682 Likes on 407 Posts
Oh, yeah, back in 2004, I read the entirety of Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live in the back seat of my broken-down Ford Explorer in the dead heat of summer sun on I-80 in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska waiting for a tow truck. No water, no shade, no cell phone signal, no Highway Patrol, a full four hours, and 656 pages of people hating Chevy Chase.
Old 06-01-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 444 Likes on 321 Posts
Back when I was a kid, I found the novelization of "The Empire Strikes Back" about a week before the film came out. Being the Star Wars nut I was, I couldn't help but buy it and read it cover to cover that same day, in one sitting. It was kind of cool knowing the story before my friends did, but it did ruin it a bit for me when I finally saw the film the next week There was no way I could have possibly waited a week to read it though, I couldn't resist.

Almost the same thing happened 3 years later with JEDI. This time, I got the comic adapation early (I think Marvel got into trouble from Lucas for releasing it early). Again I couldn't resist ruining the surprise. I never learn.
Old 06-02-07, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock
It was kind of cool knowing the story before my friends did
I read the last three Harry Potter books from the respective midnight openings till finish before daylight for this reason. Pretty lame, I know, but fun. Gotta love weekend releases...
Old 06-02-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Used to all the time.

Then along came DVD Talk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.