Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Author Seeking Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Author Seeking Opinions

Hi everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hockley and I have just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. For openers, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? What draws us to decide to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book?

[removed link -X]
Old 05-14-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, "a compelling read" isn't based on the strength of the synopsis or cover, though certainly those are huge factors when it comes to deciding what to read. A compelling read has to be a good story. Crappy cover or not. A flashy cover or intriguing title will catch my eye, and at least get me to pick it up. After that it's a crap shoot based on my mood at the time.

Using your cover as an example, it looks like a standard issue fantasy, and I probably would just pass it over. Looks like it has a couple of "real world" characters who probably get drawn into some mythical world, there's likely a quest, a battle, etc. I've read too much badly written, conceptually repetitive fantasy to get excited about could end up being another longwinded Tolkien/Pullman wannabe trilogy-in-the-making, where the story never really ends because there's always another volume to string you along. And that opinion is simply based on the cover. No disrespect intended, and your book could be the greatest thing ever written. Just my initial opinion based on the cover.

However, based on the title it would catch my eye, and if the cover made it look like more of a standalone horror/thriller (ala Peter Straub, for example) I'd be more interested.

I did, however, go to Amazon to read the synopsis, and I will admit it sounds rather interesting. Enough to give it a shot if I come across it at the library. But that's based on this thread, because I wouldn't have made it past the cover, in all honesty.

My biggest source of potential reading material comes from word of mouth, such as this forum.

Congrats on the book, btw...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-14-07 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-14-07, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got any free samples for us to read? I will always give a debut novel a shot, just not sure if I would purchase it (rent it most likely or borrow from library)...
Old 05-14-07, 10:46 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I removed the unnecessary link to cover that makes this look like spam.

Hmm... it appears other forums you posted this exact same thing to had the same thought. You've been a busy spammer!