Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do you get your books (library, purchase)?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Where do you get your books (library, purchase)?

Old 06-13-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Library for most, and if I want to buy: Chapters or occasionally Amazon.ca
Old 06-30-07, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never bought a brand new book in my life! I take full advantage of book sales at the library which come around twice a year. I stock up. Then after I read them I take them to a used book store that buys them and gives me credit for even more books! :-)
Old 07-01-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts
I've bought a lot of books in the last half-year, but most of them have been out of print for decades.

If a book's in the library, I'd rather read their copy. Books take up too much space if I'm never going to read them again.

I have a relative who has to buy books on the first street date. She'll order from amazon.uk if it's two weeks faster. She ends up with a hundred books a year that she'll never read again. She gives away books by the box-load.
Old 07-01-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Costco or Chapters.
Old 07-01-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazon mostly
Old 07-01-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to buy them, and did not read that much, but I discovered the library again and that is where all of mine come from. I just wish they had more, I have found a lot I want to read that they do not carry.
Old 07-01-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't use the library because I frankly forget often, plus I really like to lend books and sometimes I will buy a book and not have time to read it for weeks if not months.

I buy them all at Border's.
Old 07-01-07, 04:42 PM
Suspended

eBay.

E
Old 07-04-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always get good hardcovers/paperbacks from Amazon for a penny + 3.99 shipping, so the books are generally four dollars each.

I will check out some of these other suggestions, though.
Old 07-05-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I have a relative who has to buy books on the first street date. She'll order from amazon.uk if it's two weeks faster. She ends up with a hundred books a year that she'll never read again. She gives away books by the box-load.
Sounds like a good person to be friends with.
Old 07-05-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borders and Amazon pretty much. I really need to get back to the local library.
Old 07-05-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strand book store, online (Amazon, etc) and sometimes ebay.
Old 07-05-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another reason I don't mind reading books is because of the return on my investment. Since I'm a slow reader I spend a great deal of time with a book, so I don't mind plunking down some cash for them even if I'm only ever going to read it once.
Old 07-05-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strand in NYC from now on or via Amazon. Bastard library charges too much on late fees to make it not worth it anymore. $3 a day for late DVD's
Old 07-23-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts
My mother is a school librarian. She'll get books donated, or sent to her when other libraries are cleaning out. If she sees something I'll like, or something that she knows the kids won't read, she sends it to me before adding them to her library.

Otherwise, I borrow them from friends. Very rarely do I buy them from Goodwill or the clearance rack at a bookstore.
Old 07-23-07, 07:26 AM

I used to spend many hundreds of dollars a year on books. I'd pick up all my favorite authors on street date, then end up trading them in at a used book store (they used to love me there). About 4 years ago, I discovered my public library, and ours is a good one!! I pick up all those best sellers there now as well as audiobooks for the car. For books I want to keep, I buy from many sources, Costco, Amazon (the last Potter book), Abebooks, Ebay or one of the many used book stores in my area.

Phil
Old 07-23-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mostly the library for me. I do buy books when it is a series I want to have around to reread but shelf space is more of a limiting factor than cost.

The library can get most books I want via the Inter-Library Loan system. Sometimes the library director will buy the books I request, but I have an advantage in that I am a library trustee and played a major role in getting the new library built. One book they couldn't get I then purchased used from Half.com (it was a single edition OOP paperback recommended by someone here at DVD Talk!).

At times I will buy bargains and remainders and then donate them to the library for the on-going used book sale shelves: the "Friends of the Library" organization discovered some years ago that they make a lot more money by just putting a donation jar next to the used book shelves than they did by going to the trouble of trying to price them. People can take however many books they want and just drop some money into the jar. "Friends" takes in thousands of dollars a year this way and all the books are donated by community members.

One of the best things about the library is the "New Book Shelf". I often spot new books there that I would never have known about otherwise. And the library staff have been good about pointing me to books that I have enjoyed.
Old 07-23-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My high school library one year had Penguin (IIRC) come and give away a lot of books, all cut-outs and/or with defaced covers (but covers nonetheless). I think I got one of every book and there were dozens. It's how I discovered DeLillo and one of my favorite authors, T.C. Boyle.
Old 07-24-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mostly the library. Once in a while I'll pick up a book at a store or if I happen to be going by a yard sale.

And Santa Claus usually brings me one or two books every Christmas.
Old 01-15-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Where do you get your books (library, purchase)?

My local library has been having a book sale these past two weeks. I've been stocking up on a lot of stuff I've never heard of before. Even though i love my kindle there's something about going to the library/bookstore and being surrounded by hundreds of books that Kindle will never be able to do.
Old 01-15-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use the library a lot more now that I can download ebooks to my kindle. I still use, buy and trade physical books but usually don't borrow them.
Old 01-15-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a great used book chain here that I mostly buy from. I'm getting more for the Kindle now, though. I watch for deals on that and rarely pay over $5 for a book on it.
Old 01-15-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Library sales (I have a card but haven't borrowed in years as my collection, even the unread ones, is better than theirs for the genre I mainly read), bookstores (bargain racks, and used), book club (cycle accounts), the occasional used book store (typically out of town as the ones here are like the library - I pretty much own anything they have), and Amazon for hard to find titles.
Old 01-15-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I buy most of my books through Amazon, used bookstores, remainder sales at BN, and sometimes I buy from big box stores. I sometimes trade books with friends.
Old 01-17-12, 09:28 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

I buy books wherever I can find them cheap. Rarely ever buy from a bookstore unless it's a substantial percent off. Went to the library recently to get Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward, but don't usually go to the library. Thrift Stores, Flea Markets ($1 or $2 for a hard-bound), I have a nice collection at home that I don't mind re-reading. -kd5-

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.