Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

book club edition v. regular book

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 04-29-07, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all, whats the difference between a "book club edition" book and a "book-book"? A person isnt getting short-changed is he when buys a bce? Why the different versions? Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-29-07, 07:44 PM

Hi, a book club edition is slightly smaller, the ISBN or UPC is different and the price isn't on the inside flap of the jacket. So if you're a collector and want a first edition a book club edition has little value other than the story inside. The content is the same it's just cheaper.
Old 04-29-07, 07:59 PM
Banned

Be careful buying books on Ebay, when you see real cheap prices you can be sure they are book club editions. If you just want to read they are fine, but true collectors avoid them at all costs...
Old 04-29-07, 11:01 PM

The biggest problem IMO is they have glued in binding. In some cases, book club editions don't last as long if you really read them.
Old 04-30-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are BC editions really slightly smaller? I have both in my library and BC editions look the same exact height.
Old 04-30-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the book, depends on the club. Some will use publisher's editions, others will print their own. There's no consistency, even within the club itself.
Old 04-30-07, 08:13 PM
Cool New Member

you have a very good chance of getting the bc edition if its a popular book. all harry potters, dark towers, and a song of ice and fire books I got were all book club edition. I end up re buying all of my favorites in retail hardcover. the paper they use in bc edition is cheap and very thin. also the print is tiny in some books. if you want a comparison to size then look at the retail hardcover and soft cover to the harry potter books. the bce hc is slightly larger then the size of the softcover.
the one thing I like about bookclubs is if you just want to read and not worry about collecting or re reading then the book clubs offer great value for some books. sometimes they combine 3 volumes into 1 hardcover like the star wars books.
Old 05-08-07, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Science Fiction Book Club editions have see-thru pages. The regular editions have opaque pages.