DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Jane Austen's PRIDE & PREJUDICE mania (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/490742-jane-austens-pride-prejudice-mania.html)

DrRingDing 01-26-07 06:23 PM

Jane Austen's PRIDE & PREJUDICE mania

I saw the 2005 Keira Knightley version of Austen's <i>Pride & Prejudice</i> when it was in theatres and I loved it - being a deep romantic, it hit home.

I picked up the book a week ago and I finished reading it yesterday.

I immediately watched the 1995 BBC version, which I finished today - it's long.

I followed that up by rewatching the 2005 version and I was disappointed. Having loved it the first time, the corners they cut were significant and for the first time in my life, I was bothered by the changes between the media - I've never had book-to-film problems before.

Anyway, back to the book:

I can safely say, now, that <i>Pride & Prejudice</i> is my favorite book. Ever.

I had never read an Austen novel before. Since I had seen the 2005 film, I knew the plot and I was still so drawn in that I didn't want to stop reading it. I could feel Darcy and Lizzy's attraction almost immediately.

I loved the characters as well. Mr. Collins was so sycophantic and obnoxious and I frequently found his lines (and/or reactions to his lines) to be the funniest.

ANYWAY... I just wanted to rhapsodize a bit. I loved the book. LOVED it.
-ringding-

parrotheads4 02-25-07 05:41 PM

It's nice to hear such passion from a fellow reader. I want to hear more of that on this board!

DrRingDing 02-26-07 03:19 PM

Wow. Somebody responded to this thread? I'm shocked. "SHOCKED" I say! (And I'm not being sarcastic - this thread was dead in the water for a month!)

Here I thought DVDTalk would have a few Austen fans... But... if there were any others, I thought, they certainly didn't want to admit it!
-ringding-

pajerski 02-26-07 06:42 PM

What's funny is my girlfriend and her friend are watching this movie right now as I type.

I have my earplugs in.

djmont 02-27-07 07:56 AM

I read <I>Pride and Prejudice</I> years ago, but recall it being one of my favorites of the classics. Unlike so many of the books that one is supposed to read and appreciate, it was actually enjoyable for its own sake.

Amel 02-27-07 04:06 PM

I'm in the "bought the book after loving the movie" crowd. Saw the recent one (Keira Knightley) and liked it so much I went out and bought the book. Only, since I've seen the movie a few times, I put the book on the backburner to get through some other titles first.

Groucho 02-27-07 04:15 PM

AUSTENo3:16

Giantrobo 02-27-07 08:32 PM

I've been wanting to read Austen's stuff and this thread brings me a little closer to doing it.

wendersfan 02-28-07 08:43 AM

Jane Austen is one of my favorite writers. The precision of her prose, and the sly, evil humor are wonderful. She's like the Mozart of literature. You should check out <i>Sense and Sensibility</i> next, as you work your way up to her masterpiece, <i>Emma</i>.

Seeker 03-02-07 05:37 PM

My wife goes by lizzyb when she signs up for forums.