New Wilbur Smith novel: The Quest

Old 01-12-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Wilbur Smith novel: The Quest

Originally Posted by www.wilbursmithbooks.com
The Quest

Part of the 'Egyptian' series

To be published in hardback by PanMacmillan on 6 April 2007.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the thrilling Egyptian series. Following on from River God, The Seventh Scroll and Warlock, The Quest continues the story of the Warlock, Taita, wise in the lore of the ancient gods and a master of magic and the supernatural.

Egypt is struck by a series of terrible plagues that cripple the kingdom, and then the ultimate disaster follows. The Nile fails. The waters that nourish and sustain the land dry up.

Something catastrophic is taking place in the distant and totally unexplored depths of Africa, from where the mighty river springs. In desperation the Pharoah sends for Taita, the only man who might be able to win through to the source of the Nile and discover the cause of all their woes.

None of them can have any idea of what a terrible enemy lies in ambush for the Warlock in those mysterious lands at the end of their world...

A new book from my favourite author! Can't wait! Any other fans on the board?
Old 01-17-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me!!! I liked this series and some of the early Courteney books - not the books that take place later, though.

I'll have to get my pre-order in.
Old 01-20-07, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the Egyptian series, and all the Courtney books that took place before the twentieth century. Looking forward to this one.
Old 01-20-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yuck. I really enjoyed the Courtney books but could not get through the first Egyptian book.
Old 01-20-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Yuck. I really enjoyed the Courtney books but could not get through the first Egyptian book.
Really? What didn't you like?
Old 01-21-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Really? What didn't you like?
It has been a while but as I recall it, the story was related from the p.o.v. of a whiny eunuch and I hated the character. Further, I found it uninteresting and deadly dull. I struggled through about 150 pages and could not bring myself to pick it up again. It was a disappointment because I had enjoyed some of his other books and praise for these had me convinced I would like them. I bought River God, Seventh Scroll and Warlock. Hated River God and never even looked at the others.
Old 01-21-07, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Wilbur Smith and any new novel by him is good news. He is over 70 and has said he will only write a book every two years, so who knows how many new works we will have by him in the future? Frankly, after the River God sequel Warlock, I'm not sure that there is all that much left to tell about Taita, but I have faith that Smith will give us something worthwhile.

Easy might want to give Seventh Scroll a chance. It is a very exciting sequel set in contemporary times that is more of an archaeological adventure. It doesn't have all that much to do with River God except in terms of what they're looking for. That said, it isn't unusual to like some of Smith's works and not others. I don't like his Ballantyne series myself.