Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

World War Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just now finished this book...LOVED IT. While I really enjoy the other zombie fiction that I've read (namely, Brian Keene's books), I find it refreshing that this book mostly strays from the horror aspects of the genre and plays out as a straight historical account. That adds a unique spin.

I'm anxiously awaiting the movie or mini-series.
Old 04-13-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have about 70 pages left and already bummed to be done with it. What is cool is that I am sure a sequel book can be written. He could just add more accounts from the war.

And this book needs to be a short mini-series..Not a 2hr movie.
Old 04-27-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Although it eventually got a tiny bit too repetitive, I still loved it. I plan on also getting to the Survival Guide, it sounds like fun.
Old 05-05-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5) is writing the script.
Old 05-07-07, 09:38 AM

I'm a huge zombie fan, but I just couldn't get into this. I gave up about halfway through.
Old 05-15-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Although it eventually got a tiny bit too repetitive, I still loved it. I plan on also getting to the Survival Guide, it sounds like fun.
Survival guide is really fun and well thought out!
Old 05-18-07, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Survival guide is really fun and well thought out!
There's a lot of stuff you could use in lots of situations. It's burned into my brain to turn on the bathtub first if anything happens.
But what it really helped me do was start accruing a survival kit including a zombie arsenal, which I got first. Sword and rock hammer. I still have to fix the rockhammer's grip.
Old 05-30-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kudama
There's a lot of stuff you could use in lots of situations. It's burned into my brain to turn on the bathtub first if anything happens.
But what it really helped me do was start accruing a survival kit including a zombie arsenal, which I got first. Sword and rock hammer. I still have to fix the rockhammer's grip.
The "Take out the Stairs" tip was such a common sense thing and yet something I've never thought about. Believe it or not, my friends and I have talked (AD NAUSIUM it sometimes seems) about how to handle a zombie outbreak, kind of a recurring joke. It always involved meeting up someplace reenforced. When I read that stairs bit (Zombies can't climb, retreat to the second floor and take out your stairs) it was so stupidly simple and yet so diabolically genius, that I basically had to rethink every one of our plans.

Doc
Old 05-31-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I always went with baseball bat as the best weapon, but the crowbar arguement won me over I think.
Old 11-10-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm about halfway through this book (and already sad that there are less and less pages to read that I'm actually rationing it out over the next few days). I have to say I love it, I am a HUGE zombie fan (my favorite sub-genre of my favorite genre -horror) but have never been able to get into zombie fiction. I tried Brian Keene's The Rising and thought the writing was too poor to continue the series (does it get any beter?). Other than that I don't know of any other good zombie books.

Does anyone know anymore news about a movie? Has anyone heard about a sequel, or at least another zombie book?
Old 11-11-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Saw this in Borders -- looks pretty cool, but I'm waiting for the paperback.
I couldn't even bother waiting for the PB. I just went ahead and ordered the HC cheap. Finished it last month. excellent!
Old 11-12-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw the paperback in Barnes the other day, so it's out for those of you on the fence.
Old 11-19-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I highly recommend the audio book, which is produced to sound more like a fake documentary than an audio book. It's abridged but what's there is excellent. Just reading this thread I found out Max is Mel's son, which explains all the celebrity talent in the audio book.
Old 11-19-07, 10:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The audio book is great, to be sure. But be aware that it's heavily abridged.
Old 11-27-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The book with it's chapters lends itself easily to abridgement.. but I was sad that the submarine chapter wasn't there.

My friend's on disc four, and doesn't seem too into it yet, so I'm not holding out much hope.
Old 03-14-08, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by travlr
I'm a huge zombie fan, but I just couldn't get into this. I gave up about halfway through.
I couldn't get into the book as well and did them same thing. This was my first Zombie book though.
Old 03-26-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
I couldn't get into the book as well and did them same thing. This was my first Zombie book though.

you need to get and read Day by Day Armageddon, fantastic zombie book. Probably my favorite.
Old 12-20-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: World War Z

Just finished this, awesome book. I really hope the rumors are true that this book has been adapted to a great screenplay.
Old 12-28-09, 02:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The best way to adapt this movie is to make it like a Ken Burns film. Interviews with the participants intercut with "documentary" footage. If they could stick to it without cheating, that would be superb.
Old 01-08-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If any of you care I have the second draft of the screenplay in my collection if any of you would like to read it.
Old 01-08-10, 11:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The best way to adapt this movie is to make it like a Ken Burns film. Interviews with the participants intercut with "documentary" footage. If they could stick to it without cheating, that would be superb.
kind of like 'Distict 9' but with of course multiple characters.
Old 01-01-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I had read this ... some years ago. I remembered it being one of my favorite books in a long time. I started re-reading it today ...

Holy shit does it ever have a different and frighteningly applicable context today.
Old 01-04-21, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I had read this ... some years ago. I remembered it being one of my favorite books in a long time. I started re-reading it today ...

Holy shit does it ever have a different and frighteningly applicable context today.
may need to re-read this one.