Reload this Page >

Weis & Hickman / Dragonlance fans' news / discussion thread [spoilers]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Weis & Hickman / Dragonlance fans' news / discussion thread [spoilers]

Old 06-22-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragonlance readers... Thoughts on DoVM *SPOILERS*

Well, the last book of the War of Souls is out and I am curious as to everyone's thoughts.

I personally really enjoyed it. I was a little surprised by some of the character deaths, and even the final resolution with the gods. However, I am glad they did not cop out and have everything go back to normal when Tas went back. I like the new world, although in turmoil, as it opens up many new doors, books and RPG ideas.

My wife also enjoyed it, but liked the ending a little less than I did, although she enjoyed it all.
Old 06-24-02, 09:25 AM

I enjoy Weis & Hickman books. Having said that this eft me kind of cold. Seemed more like a buildup for a new line of WoTC RPG books and material than of what was a decent trilogy. The first two books of the trilogy were pretty good, though Krynn became such a hopeless kind of place.
Old 06-25-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oooooh! Fellow Companions!

I too liked it but was also somewhat disappointed. I can't believe they let Silvan, that whiny brat get buried in the Tomb of Last Heroes. He practically flushed the Elven nations down the drain with his stupid obsession for that bitch Mina.

Tas' departure was somewhat hurried I think as with Palin's change of heart.

But yeah, I can see myself re-reading it again this week.

Gilthas rocked.
Old 06-25-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Oooooh! Fellow Companions!

I too liked it but was also somewhat disappointed. I can't believe they let Silvan, that whiny brat get buried in the Tomb of Last Heroes. He practically flushed the Elven nations down the drain with his stupid obsession for that bitch Mina.

Tas' departure was somewhat hurried I think as with Palin's change of heart.

But yeah, I can see myself re-reading it again this week.

Gilthas rocked.
For Silvan, although I hated him, I can understand. He did plunge the lance that killed Takhisis. Sure, he caused some trouble, but in the end, although not fully redeemed, he did help save the day before she could escape. Also, although he abandoned his people, he did originally bring them back from the edge.

I liked how Tas was handled. He has always been a quick, abrupt figure and he finally knew what had to be done. It was short and sweet. Palin was a shock though. Over the three books though, I can see them building to that.
Old 06-25-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just finished it and I thought it was great. I think Weis and Hickman did a good job of repairing the mess that was the 5th age. Anyone tried to read any of the Rabe books? Yuck! Anyway, I was please with this one.
Old 06-26-02, 10:05 AM

No, I stopped reading DL after Dragons of Summer Flame until the War of Souls began. It left me lost for a long while in the first and second books, I didn't know what the dragon overlords were, what happened to Riverwind, why there were suddenly psionics and stuff on Krynn and so on.
Kind of glad I did miss the 5th Age books.
Old 12-16-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone read ANNOTATED DRAGONLANCE?

I noticed that the DragonLance Chronicles has an Annotated version of the first six books (two different annotated books that combine each trilogy). I loved these books in high school and was considering reading them again.

But should I fork out the money for the annotated version? Is it worth the extra money (I have the books in paperback already).
Old 12-17-02, 09:01 AM

I haven't read the whole Annotated, but I've read the first book it it (Autumn). Its very interesting most of the time but i really didn't like reading a page, and then reading the annotations, or reading some text, reading the annotation, reading some more text. Its distracting, and it tends to interrupt the flow. To each thier own.
Old 12-17-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have it and I'm gonna say go for it if you're as much of a fan as I am. During a book signing from 2000, W&H hinted that an Annotated Legends Trilogy may be in the works. Wait, are you saying that the Legends one is out already????
Old 12-19-02, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go for it. I used to write to Weis alot when I was a kid. She always responded and went into great detail about lots of technical stuff that little boys are interested in. I actually have framed one letter she sent with a schematic from some lightsabre like device from one of her books.
Old 01-04-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I've never read any of the Dragonlance novels, usually more into SciFi, but I've seen this Annotated version at the bookstore, and I'm looking for some more fantasy stuff lately (LOTR inspired). Would this be a good blind buy?
Old 01-05-03, 07:21 AM

I've read that annotated Chronicles, and from the sounds of what the first poster said (all six books), it sounds like they've done an annotated Legends as well.

I really enjoyed the annotated Chronicles, the annotations do spoil a few surprises. If you've never read the books before, read them first without the annotations.
Old 01-06-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oops, I made a mistake. There is no annotated LEGENDS. My bad.
Old 01-08-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bumpy question, I'm looking for more LOTR type stuff, is this book worth a shot?

thanks
Old 01-09-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bloom, I'm half way through the second book of the original trilogy (non annotated). It's great. I probably liked it more 12 years ago in high school, but it's still a good adventure/fantasy read.

My only problem is that there are about 7 characters in the group of adventurers, and at times, the authors don't use them all and certain characters get lost in the shuffle. Other than that, it's very worthy. Not high art, for sure, but a fun, quick read.
Old 01-09-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Read the 3 Chronicles books, and then the three Legends books for the best of the DragonLance novels, IMHO. The annotations are cool, but don't add a huge amount to the books, I felt. Still own the annotated version, though.

X
Old 05-10-04, 07:02 PM

a New Dragonlance book ??

At the book store today, I noticed a new DL book.
Copywrite date of May 2004.. paperback

"Dragon's of the Soul Wars" I think..

I can't find anything on amazon or the DL web site..

It is a group of short stories set aroung the dragons returning after the events of the Soul War series..

anyway it hase some regular Dl authurs but I wanted some reviews first..

thankz
Old 05-11-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It appears this is actually called "Search for Power: Dragons from the War of Souls".

Here is the Amazon page , although no reviews of it yet.

I couldn't find anything on WOtC's boards either, although it could just be too soon still.
Old 10-01-04, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

Are there any Dragon Lance fans here

i am a big tracy hickmen and marget weis fan. I try to read all there books and think dragon lance is the best fantasy series i have read.
Old 10-02-04, 06:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um, welcome to the forum beefcake101.

Your favourite authors engender mixed emotions among Book Talk regulars but here is a [merged] thread which is for the fans of their work to share news and reviews.

Benedict
Moderator, Book Talk
Old 10-02-04, 08:33 AM
Cool New Member

i read the three from war of souls

i read the 3 of war of souls,. What is the next set to read? i thought there was another book about Mina and her life . I read most of the books just missing the choas war books i think it was liek 6 right? I dont care for the short storyies but i have read some . I kind of like the new characters but the orginal chars. are a lot bettter. I enjoyed war of souls and need to find the next set that comes after it.
Old 10-03-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: i read the three from war of souls

Originally posted by beefcake101
i read the 3 of war of souls,. What is the next set to read? i thought there was another book about Mina and her life . I read most of the books just missing the choas war books i think it was liek 6 right? I dont care for the short storyies but i have read some . I kind of like the new characters but the orginal chars. are a lot bettter. I enjoyed war of souls and need to find the next set that comes after it.
I really haven't read outside the main trilogies, but I do know the book you are thinking of is "Amber and Ashes." I think it follows Mina, as well as some new characters. It just recently came out, so you can find the hardcover in stores.

As for what occurs after "War of Souls," I am not completely sure, but I think only a couple side stories like the above book. "War of Souls" is the most recent trilogy, the two major ones before being "Chronicles" and "Legends." If you've read those and missed "Dragons of Summer Flame," I'd suggest that, as that book ties in with the main story.
Old 10-04-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: i read the three from war of souls

Originally posted by outer-edge
If you've read those and missed "Dragons of Summer Flame," I'd suggest that, as that book ties in with the main story.
Don't forget "The Second Generation", a collection of short stories which would be helpful to read right before Summer Flame. I'd even venture to say it SHOULD be read right before.
Old 10-04-04, 01:13 AM
Cool New Member

yes. thanks. i read those, and i think dragons of summer flame was the best dragon lance book ever. I love the old generation and wich they can bring them back some kind of way like an unrealsed series or something. I have not read Amber and Ashes and will be looking for that one next. Thanks
Old 11-30-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I totally forgot I had asked about these books a few years back. Last summer I picked up the first Dragonlance trilogy (Autumn, Winter, Spring) and just finished the last book. While it certainly picked up in the second book, I'm still pretty unsatisfied. I just didn't feel it I guess. I suppose one of the things is why did
Spoiler:
Kitiara turn? I understood Raistlin being corrupted by the dark magics, but I never got an explanation for Kitiara going bad

I imagine I'll be posting these on half.com pretty soon unless someone can recommend further books in the series that really pick up.

thanks

added: also, I think some of it is because the titles mention dragons, but there just didn't seem to be enough of them for me. I guess I was expecting Pern levels of dragons.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.