Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you like it when characters die in books?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I read mostly sci-fi and fantasy, and the books are usually part of a series, so you'll be with the same characters for umpteen million books - which I'm fine with, actually, but I must say that when one of those beloved characters is killed, I really start digging on the story.

Take, for example, the New Jedi Order books for Star Wars. There were many major, planet-destroying events in that book and only two characters of note died. I was pleased with those events, but I would have liked to have seen more characters fall in this intergalatic war.

The Song of Ice and Fire series from George R.R. Martin, however, has had some downright shocking deaths - where I've actually stopped reading just to take in the fact they killed such a major character. It makes the stories far more real to me, with actual consequences, where no one is safe.

Then you've got the Wheel of Time, where nearly every major character from the first book is still alive and those that aren't, well, it seems like they will be back. Completely unrealistic that they wouldn't lose some major people along the way.

As for the latest Harry Potter book
Spoiler:
I heard all about a "shocking" death but Dumbledore's death was the least shocking thing about the whole book. I think Ron should have been the one to die - that would have shaken things up something fierce.

Anyway, wondered what your thoughts were on major character death in books.
Old 06-29-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not opposed to it as long as it serves the plot. If the author just kills off a character because they ran out of ideas with them, or does it simply for shock value then I do have a problem. IMO, a creative author should always know why they killed off a character and should have a good reason for it.

Stephen King killing off
Spoiler:
Eddie and Jake
in the final volume of The Dark Tower was amazing and it served the plot 100%. I did have a problem with how he killed off
Spoiler:
Randall Flagg
in the same book, however. It seemed like he just ran out of ideas and couldn't figure out anything else to do with him and so he pretty much marginalized his death.

I agree with you 100% about what George R. R. Martin has done with the Fire and Ice books. Him killing off so many characters is just shocking and it enhances the story all that much more.
Old 06-30-06, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the deaths are logical and follows the plot, I am fine with it.