Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

One and Only Harry Potter final book speculation / discussion / news thread [merged]

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

One and Only Harry Potter final book speculation / discussion / news thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From her hints I think she might kill off Harry because she has commented about being scared of after she is dead her estate would try and make another Harry book for the money.
Old 07-11-06, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AudioWizard
From her hints I think she might kill off Harry because she has commented about being scared of after she is dead her estate would try and make another Harry book for the money.
In this regard, killing Harry wouldn't do Rowling any good whatsoever. Once she's gone, her estate can do anything they please. There really isn't anything an author can do (stipulations in a will, etc.) to prevent it from happening.

It hasn't stopped many author's estates from hiring or allowing other writers to resurrect a character and/or continue writing stories based on a deceased writer's works.

A few who come to mind are: Ian Fleming, Frank L. Baum, Robert E. Howard, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The prolific and succesful Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes at the height of his popularity. Later he had to resurrect Holmes himself, not because of money, but due to his readers demands.

Maybe something like Doyle's situation with Holmes "death" is what Rowling is concerned about and wants to avoid.

Last edited by Jon2; 07-11-06 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes I agree that killing Harry won't stop some future author from bringing him back.

In Star Wars, George Lucas has said that officially Boba Fett died in the Sarlacc Pit. However, in the EU novels, Boba blasted his way out of the Sarlacc and is still alive.

Lucas decided that the best way to prevent Darth Maul from ever returning was to show him being cut completely in half. However, in some crappy EU story a clone of Maul was brought in and we had a Maul vs Vader fight.

Killing Harry won't guarantee anything.
Old 07-11-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yes I agree that killing Harry won't stop some future author from bringing him back.

In Star Wars, George Lucas has said that officially Boba Fett died in the Sarlacc Pit. However, in the EU novels, Boba blasted his way out of the Sarlacc and is still alive.

Lucas decided that the best way to prevent Darth Maul from ever returning was to show him being cut completely in half. However, in some crappy EU story a clone of Maul was brought in and we had a Maul vs Vader fight.

Killing Harry won't guarantee anything.
I don't think Boba is a good example because it was never said within the movie that he did and therefore anything said out of the context of RotJ really had no bearing on the canon. The Sarlaac's burp was the closest thing to a final word on Boba's fate.

In HP, however, we have plenty of examples of dead people not moving on (house ghosts), persisting in other forms (Hogwart's Headmaster portraits), and staying gone (Lily & James, Sirius, etc...). If Harry bites it in the book, I expect he won't hang around as a ghost. He'll be gone, gone, gone. Not that that would stop the almighty dollar though. We just have to be strong enough to not read the follow-up drivel.
Old 07-11-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've read some pretty goofy SW EU stories, but I actually thought this one was pretty darned good, basically because of how
Spoiler:
Vader wins

I've always felt it was probably a mistake to kill Maul in the first place. GL managed to create a really cool character that could have been in all three prequels and might have softened the fans criticisms of the PT as a whole.

To tie this into the main topic, killing a character just because the author is tired of them is just as cheap as bringing them back to life via some deus ex machina. Rowling killing Sirius hurt Harry badly. That wasn't cheap. Killing Harry just to prevent future books would be cheap.
Old 07-29-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wouldnt it be a great twist if Harry and Co. are killed and he who must not me named wins and the world is evil! The way I see it is that harry and the big V are connected and if one of them dies they both die.
Old 08-02-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
"Don't kill Harry Potter, authors urge Rowling", including Stephen King

I saw this article at Yahoo here. I haven't read it yet since I haven't actually read the 6th book yet and I don't want to run across any spoilers.
Old 08-02-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, since

Spoiler:
she's claimed that two major characters will die, that Ron and Hermione aren't going to survive. Instead of Harry dying, it's going to be his two closest companions. Which probably makes for an even more tragic ending than Harry himself not surviving.

Also, I think JKR's been pulling the "Harry might not survive" card for several years now, which strikes me as a bit of misdirection. Everyone's going to go into Book Seven waiting for the ax to fall of Harry, but it'll fall on the other two instead.
Old 08-02-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Actually, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that, since

Spoiler:
she's claimed that two major characters will die, that Ron and Hermione aren't going to survive. Instead of Harry dying, it's going to be his two closest companions. Which probably makes for an even more tragic ending than Harry himself not surviving.

Also, I think JKR's been pulling the "Harry might not survive" card for several years now, which strikes me as a bit of misdirection. Everyone's going to go into Book Seven waiting for the ax to fall of Harry, but it'll fall on the other two instead.
Not sure if spoilers are necessary for speculation, but...
Spoiler:
I'd accept either Ron or Hermione, but not both. Someone else here in one of the other Book 7 threads suggested that Ron's Gambit in Wizard Chess at the end of SS could be foreshadowing for his end. I love that idea.

With regards to Harry dying and JKR's "misdirection", she may simply be preparing her younger fans (though how many of them are really still "young"?) for it. I'm not sure if the young would truly understand why she would do that.

I think the story calls for it and has been set up nicely between Books 5 & 6 with the introduction that maybe Harry isn't the one Trelawney's prophecy means but instead Neville and the concept of a Horcrux.

I'm still going with Harry and/or his scar being the final Horcrux that must be destroyed to even let Voldemort be mortal. Then let big N step up and fulfill the prophecy. Whether or not Ron dies along the way isn't important to me.
Old 08-02-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Spoiler:
Correct me if I'm on the wrong path but it seemed pretty clear to me in book 6 that Rowling made great effort to point out that the prophecy was -not- about Neville.

There was a lengthy discussion between Harry & Dumbledore on it if I remember correctly. Also, I'm going on memory here, but the prophecy was not about 2 people...it said Voldemort would mark his equal and that neither could live while the other survives. Given that, if Harry was not -the one- he would have been killed.

While I think Neville may have a bigger part to play in book 7 I do not see him as the one that brings down Voldemort.

What Ron said in book one could be foreshadowing but this next time it could be Harry saying it. He may very well use it on them to show that he has to sacrifice himself for the good of all.

Last edited by Nefarious; 08-02-06 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-02-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please kill him and end this travesty.
Old 08-02-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mgbfan
Please kill him and end this travesty.
No need to come in here and thread-crap.
Old 08-02-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
I wish that harry and voldermort died. It would fit the prophecy and it would be a tragic but great ending to the story. Perhaps him finding his parents in the afterlife at the end, or hinting at it. I would love for the final chapter to be ron and hermoine, together, graduating from Hogwarts and the school reflecting on their classes time together. For me that would be the best, it makes Harry more than a hero, more than a kid that just fought a hard fight.
Old 08-03-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still think Dumbledore lives.
Old 08-03-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd182
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:8917
Old 08-03-06, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd182
Spoiler:
Before Snape kills Dumbledore, it really sounds like he is begging for his life. I really think Snape did kill him, and it wasn't some elaborate plan they arranged to make everyone think Dumbledore was dead.

Also, there is one common theme in books, movies, comics, etc where a "dead" person comes back: the body is never found. Dumbledore's body was never missing. When Snape blasted him off the top of the tower, the students gathered around his mangled dead body at the bottom of the tower. Dumbledore was buried at the end of the book, so even if he does somehow come back to life, he is still buried 6 feet under.
Old 08-03-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well if anybody comes back I hope it's
Spoiler:
Sirus, as they never did recover his body so there is hope but probably not.
Old 08-06-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone dies, I would expect it to be Ginny Weasley and possibly Ron. Neville may be in the running for a grisly death, but I doubt he'll die since this character is all about having weird luck. Hagrid won't die. Rowling loves the character too much. He'll get pretty messed up and may wind up in St. Mungo's. Draco is also safe. He's just a little cowardly twit who got in way over his head. He isn't evil and he really doesn't have it in him to kill anyone.

According to the way this kind of story plays out in literary history, Harry must lose the people he cares about, and he must fight the bad guy alone.

The people who died will not come back. They're dead and gone. I don't even see them coming back as ghosts.
Old 09-01-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Spoiler:

I'd like to take the idea of the Wizard's Chess a slight step further. I think that Harry will sacrifice himself and that Ron individually will destroy Voldemort.

Rowling has actually spent more time letting us slowly watch Ron develop into a stronger person, while Harry has never really developed in fortitude. He has basically stayed constant in his strengths. So much time has been spent building the idea that the Weasley's are looked down upon as lesser wizards. Why? Perhaps to watch them ultimately prevail.

I've also run over this really lame idea, but for me it works. Voldemort is represented by the serpent. Who is the natural enemy of the snake??
The Weasel.

Comments??
Old 09-01-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by beavis69
I wish that harry and voldermort died. It would fit the prophecy and it would be a tragic but great ending to the story. Perhaps him finding his parents in the afterlife at the end, or hinting at it. I would love for the final chapter to be ron and hermoine, together, graduating from Hogwarts and the school reflecting on their classes time together. For me that would be the best, it makes Harry more than a hero, more than a kid that just fought a hard fight.

Remember the end of CS Lewis' The Last Battle where the kids were reunited with their parents in heaven? I expect something similar for the end of the Harry Potter saga. I'm guessing the last piece of Voldemort's soul is placed WITHIN Harry (that's why his scar burns) and Harry will discover that the only way to destroy Voldemort forever is to sacrifice himself in the process. The lesson of self-sacrifice (the "no greater love has a man than this: that he'll lay down his life for his friends" from the New Testament) is a great lesson for children and a GREAT way to end this series.
Old 09-01-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Before Snape kills Dumbledore, it really sounds like he is begging for his life.
Spoiler:
I'd say he sounds much more like he's begging Snape to kill him and knows that Snape doesn't want to. Prove me wrong, yarrrr!!!
Old 09-01-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Book 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I still cannot believe that anyone who read book 6 actually thinks that Snape is either playing both sides or with Voldemort. It just boggles my mind.
Old 09-01-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Spoiler:
I'd say he sounds much more like he's begging Snape to kill him and knows that Snape doesn't want to. Prove me wrong, yarrrr!!!
Spoiler:
Bingo. Dumbledore knew that Snape would have been breaking the Unbreakable Vow (and thus would have died) if Snape hadn't gone through with it. Dumbledore didn't want that to happen.
Old 09-01-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
Book 6 spoilers:

Spoiler:
I still cannot believe that anyone who read book 6 actually thinks that Snape is either playing both sides or with Voldemort. It just boggles my mind.
Ditto.
Old 09-11-06, 01:42 PM

I predict... Harry will be made the Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor for the year, as no one is more qualified at this point than he. Someone will kill Voldemort, maybe not Harry. And if the author has to kill of a main character, my guess is Snape or Hagrid. She could not possibly kill off Harry withouth the entire world feeling betrayed by her.

Rowling's writing is very logical, but not always predictable. She would have to defy all logic to kill off her main character. But maybe she would kill off Malfoy.

Last edited by Shipwreck; 09-11-06 at 01:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.