Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Book Talk readers' views concerning "spoilers"

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: What spoiler warnings are required, if any, in Book Talk discussions?
Thread titles should include "possible spoilers" warning re book released less that 6 months ago
19.05%
Participants should spoilerise posts incl. details of plots re books released less than 6 months ago
9.52%
I don't need any warnings: discussions of books WILL incl. possible spoilers!
61.90%
I have another view.... [Post details in this thread!]
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-06, 05:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently it was put to me that maybe a particular discussion thread should have "spoilers" in the title because it gave away things that someone not yet having read the book might not want to know.

I realised that my views might not be in line with others here, so thought I should post a poll to elicit your views.

Please feel free to say more than "yea" or "nay"....

Last edited by benedict; 02-07-06 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 945 Likes on 667 Posts
As long as there are no spoilers in the thread title I'm fine with free roam discussion.

With movies, there are countless trailers and lots of pre-discussion. You don't have that with books, so there is no need to step foot into a thread about a book you haven't read.

The exception seems to be Stephen King since he is popular around here and garners discussion regardless of a books release. I was enjoying the Cell thread up until release week when posts started rolling in on the plot, then I just quit viewing the thread. Pretty simple.
Old 02-08-06, 08:25 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
I agree - I don't see the need for spoiler warnings either. Regarding the TV and Movie forums, spoilers are required when discussing the plot before the TV show airs or movie is released. The majority of book discussions here are concerning books already released.
Old 02-08-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I think we have gotten crazy with the spoilers around here anyways. But I know if there is a book I havent read, and dont want it spoiled, I wont go in that thread.
Old 02-09-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts
I don't care if there are spoilers in a thread dedicated to one specific book, but think people should spoilerize plot points if it's a general thread (i.e. Recommend some good books type threads) or if they're talking about a book other than what the thread title indicates. In other words, if someone was in The Cell thread and wanted to compare it to say, The Stand, any major plot points from The Stand should probably be spoilerized, just out of courtesy.
Old 02-09-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with max that if the thread is not explicitly about the book then you should spoilerize plot points.

Certain exceptions to the general rule might be books that generate a lot of pre-publication buzz (Harry Potter comes to mind) where there is a substantial discussion going on that's not specifically about the plot. Either that or just have another thread when the book comes out specifically for plot discussions.
Old 02-12-06, 08:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point(s), WallyOPD, the post-publication thread is something we've done in the past and I'll endeavour to remember to do it in future.

Last edited by benedict; 02-12-06 at 08:55 AM.