Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Robert Jordan "Knife of Dreams"

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robert Jordan "Knife of Dreams"

Well, it's been out over a week and still no threads on this bad boy, thought I would start one.

I'll just get this out of the way up front; I am now and have been in a serious love\hate reading relationship with RJ for about 7 years. I started this series with book 1 in 1990 and have grabbed all 10 following books on day 1. Just so you know my pain going into this.

Having said all that, I am loving Knife of Dreams. I don't know if it's because I have been starving for some quality fantasy or because I have been drinking alot lately, but I am really having a good time with this book.

But don't think RJ has changed his ways! Oh no, we still get lengthy prose on jacket descriptions, feelings, colors, it's all there. But there seems to be even more humor thrown in now. I'm only on chapter 12, but it seems he has taken at least some of the vast criticism to heart. It's hard to say it without giving spoilers, so all I'll say is that things finally seem to moving towards the end. But don't take my word for it, I've been thinking that since book 5.

And before everyone starts playing Dr. Obvious, yes, I know that King George RR Martin is head and shoulders above this series. I'll be 1st in line for Feast for Crows and am giddy at the prospect, but that can't stop my guilty-pleasure love for RJ. Light, I love this series.
Old 10-20-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I enjoy this series a lot, even though I too have issues with it. I'm planning on picking this up this weekend and am really looking forward to it. He's left most of his innumerable plotlines unresolved up to now, so I'm interested to see if he can actually tie everything up in two books without making a mess of it. We'll see.
Old 10-20-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Huh, I had no idea the next one was coming out. I'll have to pick it up this weekend as well.

I've never had an issue with the series, except for how long characters will go without explaining themselves to one another. I'm looking forward to picking it up again (the fantasy book I'm currently reading, The Magic of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt, Jr., isn't really doing it for me and the next Song of Fire and Ice book isn't out yet.)
Old 10-23-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Borrowed the book friend and finished it in 5 days. I must say this book gives me hope again. I Really enjoyed this one. It reminds me of the Robert Jordan of old. Parts of those plotlines are starting to come together though his next book is gonna have to be 1200+ pages inorder to finish everything. Hopefully The last book will come out soon enough. I cant wait
Old 10-23-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read 1-7, then gave up. Now I flip through the last 10 pages of each new book and see whats going on. I can't really get into his characters though...they seem a little flat. The plot itself is pretty awesome, though, and I will probably read the last book in full to see how the last battle goes down.
Old 10-23-05, 11:57 PM

I'm still moving along at a chapter or 2 a day, trying to savor it. I always do with a highly anticipated book, I hope to grow out of that someday.

Nice to see that Knife of Dreams is #1 on NY Bestseller. That must really piss off a lot of people.
Old 10-31-05, 04:13 PM

I enjoyed this book a lot. I almost don't want him to finish it with the next book and feel that it would probably be better suited for him to have two more books. I don't necessarily agree with you Ozzy that Martin's books are head and shoulders above this series..I read the first two and although I enjoyed them they didn't blow me away. Plus, we are trying to compare a series that has been only 3 books to one that is on 11. As Martin's series gets longer you may change your opinion, as many Jordan fans have changed theirs with the past few books.
Old 11-04-05, 01:03 AM

Ah, Lemieux, I love a lively discussion, especially on my favorite books. But here's the thing; I agree with you. They are 2 completely different styles, content, character building. I love them both and should be judged on their own merit. Alas, they are often compared due to being crunched into the fantasy genre.

BTW, still plugging along at a disciplined chapter a day, I still think the whole concept of the Power is absolutely brilliant!
Old 11-04-05, 03:42 PM
Banned

ARGH! I thought this wasnt out yet! Must go get it now. Leaving work. Getting cash. Going to book store.
Old 11-06-05, 03:06 PM

I just finished reading Knife of Dreams over the weekend and while I enjoyed it, it's only slightly better than Crossroads of Twilight.
The problem is, nothing significant is accomplished by any of the characters.
Spoiler:
Inside jacket cover usually gives hints as to what will happen in the beginning/middle of the book to let you speculate what canl happen and possible consequences. Unfortunately in KoD, what's written on the cover is ALL THAT IS ACCOMPLISHED! Read the inside cover, read the book, and you'll see that all Jordan has done is expanded 6 paragraphs of a basic plot outline into 750 pages of prose. Nothing happens beyond that and there's nothing new to hint of what to look forward to in the next book.
The time jump was jarring, starting the book 6 months past the end of CoT, and giving bare descriptions of what had happened in the meantime. So was the sudden personality change of a minor character, Aram.
Things of significance in previous books were ignored. In CoT, there was a chapter (was it part of the prologue? it's been a while) describing the meeting of the rulers of the Borderlands and their agreement to find the Dragon Reborn. The forsaken having a meeting together.. nothing coming of it, nor of their new leader. The M'Hael.. nothing.

There's more things I can talk about, but in the end, I'd say that anyone wanting to buy the book should wait until it hits the bargain racks at B&N.
Old 11-10-05, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by keyed
I just finished reading Knife of Dreams over the weekend and while I enjoyed it, it's only slightly better than Crossroads of Twilight.
The problem is, nothing significant is accomplished by any of the characters.
Spoiler:
Inside jacket cover usually gives hints as to what will happen in the beginning/middle of the book to let you speculate what canl happen and possible consequences. Unfortunately in KoD, what's written on the cover is ALL THAT IS ACCOMPLISHED! Read the inside cover, read the book, and you'll see that all Jordan has done is expanded 6 paragraphs of a basic plot outline into 750 pages of prose. Nothing happens beyond that and there's nothing new to hint of what to look forward to in the next book.
The time jump was jarring, starting the book 6 months past the end of CoT, and giving bare descriptions of what had happened in the meantime. So was the sudden personality change of a minor character, Aram.
Things of significance in previous books were ignored. In CoT, there was a chapter (was it part of the prologue? it's been a while) describing the meeting of the rulers of the Borderlands and their agreement to find the Dragon Reborn. The forsaken having a meeting together.. nothing coming of it, nor of their new leader. The M'Hael.. nothing.

There's more things I can talk about, but in the end, I'd say that anyone wanting to buy the book should wait until it hits the bargain racks at B&N.
Just finished it...
Spoiler:

I was really surprised to hear you say nothing happened in this book. While I did think it moved much slower than it needed to, hello? Perrin finally rescues Faile and pretty much destroys the Shaido. Mat gets married to Tuon. Elayne finally becomes queen of Andor. They've captured 6 more of the black sisters, plus Semirhage. Rand's hand got destroyed and he fought in two fun battles. Not much happened in the first half of the book, but I thought the second half was pretty good. I still am not convinced that he can wrap up everything in one more book, but he's doing a good job so far. I'm glad things are finally progressing again, and can't wait to read the next/last one.
Old 11-10-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am almost done with the book, about 50 pages left. It is so much better than Twilight of NOTHING HAPPENED. Thank god.
Old 11-11-05, 02:19 PM

Would someone here be able to give me a summary of Crossgoards of Twilight? I do not own that one and have only read it once, if at all so I have no clue what the heck is happening up to now in Knife of Dreams... I did read Winters Heart this summer again but it didn't click that there was a book after it.
Old 11-11-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Feneant
Would someone here be able to give me a summary of Crossgoards of Twilight? I do not own that one and have only read it once, if at all so I have no clue what the heck is happening up to now in Knife of Dreams... I did read Winters Heart this summer again but it didn't click that there was a book after it.

I read Crossroads of Twilight twice, and I still came away with the impression that nothing really happened.... Basically, all the major story arcs remained unresolved from Book 9 (Kidnapping of Faile and Mat's adventure with Tuon).
Old 11-15-05, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

cot was all just setting up for this book.
Old 11-17-05, 01:43 AM

Finally finished, really enjoyed this one. I thought a lot happened in this book, can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I now have my wife reading the series, there is nothing geekier than throwing out a "Light!" "Blood and Bloody Ashes" "Face might as well have been carved out of stone" and having your wife actually get the joke. A new level
Old 11-17-05, 09:54 AM

I like "Blood and Bloody Ashes". I keep meaning to work that into my cursing.
Old 11-19-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dashed
cot was all just setting up for this book.
Agreed, but it still makes it less than worthless.
Old 11-21-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sure it makes it less than worthless but at least KoD didnt have to waste any time with the setup. Making it a far better book that the recent few
Old 11-27-05, 03:45 AM

2 weeks done, I'm still reflecting (always good) and now my wife is starting on it. Time to start GRR Martin.
Old 11-28-05, 06:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey all,

I was pleasantly surprised. A fair amount happened, real activity. Definately moving towards Tarmon Gaidon. But... how quickly?

Ciao,
Smithsguy