Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Best Entry in Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER Series?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: The Best Entry in Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER Series?
"The Little Sisters of Eluria" (Short Story)
1.09%
THE DARK TOWER I: THE GUNSLINGER--Original 1982 Release
7.61%
THE DARK TOWER I: THE GUNSLINGER--Revised and Expanded 2003 Release
2.17%
THE DARK TOWER II: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE
35.87%
THE DARK TOWER III: THE WASTE LANDS
14.13%
THE DARK TOWER IV: WIZARD AND GLASS
34.78%
THE DARK TOWER V: WOLVES OF THE CALLA
1.09%
THE DARK TOWER VI: SONG OF SUSANNAH
0%
THE DARK TOWER VII: THE DARK TOWER
3.26%
Any DT-related book (e.g. THE TALISMAN, BLACK HOUSE, HEARTS IN ATLANTIS, INSOMNIA, etc.)
0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

The Best Entry in Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER Series?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grunter
Oh cripes - ANYTHING BUT "WIZARD AND GLASS!"

One long, incredibly tedious 300 page completely telegraphed set-up for a few pages of "climax" that was utterly unsatisfying. Plus a patented "robotic" King love story strapped on, to boot.
Funny I should stumble on this thread, I'm now at page 426 of Wizard and Glass and I CAN'T WAIT for that cheesy love story to end... I found myself guilty of speed reading the last 100 pages and I never do that usually.

I voted for the Drawing of the three; read that book in 5 days I think

I was extremely curious to find out about Roland's past (especially Cuthbert and Alain) but now I can't wait for that part to end and going back to Jake, Susannah and Eddie ( "Bring on the wise fuckin' Elves!!" )
Old 10-24-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Xander
I liked all the books. The last two didn't really move in the direction I thought they would, and there was a plot device that I didn't really care for
Spoiler:
King appearing as a character in his own book? lame
. But they had a lot of cool stuff in them, and the ending really grew on me. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but the more I reflect on it, the more I like it.
That is definitely a hit or miss. I, for one, loved it. It even got me to thinking that was how the series would end(for a brief moment, anyway)

Spoiler:
Roland meeting up with King at the top of the tower ala, Neo & the architect in the Matrix. Giving Roland the choice of ending his quest or starting over

As for me, Wizard & Glass. Drawing of the Three a close second.

I would like to point out something though to those just now reading it. I used to think the same exact thing, until I read the series over before 5-7 came out. The first time you read it, especially if you are doing a marathon 1-4+ of the series, it grinds the story to a halt which I didn't like the first time either. I didn't want to know about his past, and his love, I could care less, move along with the story. Having read 1-4 twice now, I have a different perspective. I knew W&G wouldn't advance the plot, so I could enjoy it for what it was, and it is now my favorite in the series. It is when you read it for the first time and have no idea that there will be no advancement that you are thrown for a loop and are pissed off that was 400+ pages wasted. Once you are prepared for that you can just enjoy the story of what makes Roland the man he is.
Old 10-24-05, 12:35 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I love W&G now, and I loved it the first time I read it (in a marathon 1-4) session. It's not a 400 page waste, and in my opinion provides a lot more information than book 5 and 6 combined. Just because it isn't part of the linear plot doesn't mean that it doesn't advance the story.
Old 10-24-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm always kind of startled by how much people seem to like Drawing of the Three. I've been reading these books since I was really young, so my first impressions have stuck. I love the book, but always thought it was the weakest of the first 4, way way prefering The Waste Lands.
Old 10-25-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

To me, it is the WasteLands that goes no where. Our heros sit on the train for the better part of the book and go no where.
Old 10-25-05, 03:14 PM

Man was I hooked on the Dark Tower, and bad. I was a 'Dark Tower' junkie, as King might have said. It started several years back (yes, the wait for me wasn't too bad) when my brother insisted I give DTII a try. I previously read Gunslinger and had to force myself to finish it. It was one of those books you read and afterwards don't really recall what you read. Nothing really 'stuck'.

On my brother's advice I read DTII and quickly became hooked. I read III and IV fairly quickly. I reread the books, including the Gunslinger - which I quickly fell in love with after reading II-IV, several times. I actually listened to them on audio book - Frank Muller was fantastic and I was extremely upset about his accident (for selfish and non-selfish reason).

I agree DTIV is excellent - one of the best. The backstory is great and you learn a lot about who Roland once was. I can't pick a favorite, though it would definitely be one of the first four books.

So, once King announced he was 'saddling up' for the last time, I was both excited and nervous. Three books in one sitting? He's never done that before. I think the end result was a lackluster conclusion to what could have been the greatest series ever written.

Spoiler:

Dark Tower V - boring. Long story building up to a quick and lackluster finale.

Dark Tower VI - Yuck. I won't even bother. I've always told myself I would reread the series again - a straight shot through. But I will never reread DT6. Ever.

Dark Tower VII - Decent. I do believe King knew the ending all along. I've heard him say both. In forewords he would state that he did not know the conclusion, that he would discover it along with us. But in a Today show interview he specifically stated that he knew the ending since day one. I believe that.

General thoughts:

King as a character was lame. I believe King's accident was definitely an unfortunate event for the books. They clearly would have been written much differently otherwise.

The whole spider/Roland baby was just stupid. Stupid. Its final encounter with Roland was also lame.

I'm okay with the ending. I expected more, but I'm okay with it. I just think books 5 and 6 were godawful. I'm sure King had ideas about what he wanted to do with books 5 and 6. He talked about wolves in prior afterwords. But even so, the books were weak and clearly he rushed through them.

Will I reread the series again? Sure will (excluding 6). And I will love the first four, but my enjoyment will be somewhat lessened now.
Old 10-26-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will soon have an 8th in the series to look forward to . . . from Comic book resources.

KING MAKER - Added 10/26

Publishing News seem to have themselves an official scoop.

"STEPHEN KING IS writing a graphic novel for Marvel Comics. Illustrated by Jae Lee, well-known American illustrator of comic books, it will form the eighth volume in King's Dark Tower series, published by Simon & Schuster in the States and Hodder in the UK. Marvel is distributed worldwide by Diamond Book Distributors and publication is scheduled for next autumn."

Marvel are expected to confirm this news later in the week. We refer our honourable readers to the Lying In The Gutters from September 26th
Old 10-26-05, 03:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be a son of a...
Old 10-26-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see how this will be good.
Old 10-26-05, 06:48 PM

Scratches head...
Old 10-26-05, 07:30 PM

I haven't read the 7th book yet but from spoilers and reactions to this story I gather an 8th entry wouldn't really be possible. Or if it was it would be a retelling with different order to the facts we know.

Maybe this information today is a mistake and it's actually an adaptation of the series is coming? Wouldn't be too hard to do. Other sites are now saying the official confirmation comes next week.
Old 10-26-05, 08:33 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I've heard that the final book fails to tie up a few loose threads (for instance, I heard Ted Brautigan fails to make an appearance after HEARTS IN ATLANTIS implied he'd be a critical link to the saga's conclusion--if that information is wrong, please don't tell me; allow me to be pleasantly surprised); if that's true, maybe that's the impetus behind this graphic novel.
Old 10-27-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
thoughts that include spoilers for the 7th book:
Spoiler:

Hmm...interesting. I could see where they could continue and maybe show what happens when Roland finally makes it to the tower for the final time, as it was implied that he was doing this for the last time when he starts over with the horn. But can he actually finish something epic like this in comic book form? I don't know.

And yes, I think Ted Brautigan does appear in the 7th book. Isn't he at that city with the rest of the breakers? Can't recall off the top of my head what happens to him, though.

I'm sure I will end up picking this up, I'm just kind of skeptical right now.
Old 10-27-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well wasn't there always supposed to be one more book that focused on Roland's past?

And, from what I remember
Spoiler:
Ted did appear, I thought. It has been a while since I read it. I don't think it was a major plot point though.
Old 10-27-05, 03:29 PM

It could be a good thing.

Spoiler:

The way I saw it, THIS should have been Roland's last trip to the tower. I mean, I want to know what happens when he reaches the tower and completed his quest properly. To write a story over 30 years and have it go full circle - ugh. I can see why some would appreciate it, but I really wanted some conclusion to the story.
Old 10-27-05, 09:23 PM

Spoiler:
It completely depends on what you consider "the story." I thought of it as a reflection of Roland, which is why I hated some of the inane stuff from the later books (spider-baby, King appearing, etc). The fact that Roland continually chose the tower over love/friends/etc made the conclusion self-evident. Though, I can completely see why some feel it was a bad ending and a cop-out. I still like it better than the lame-ass "mega happy ending" with Susannah and fake-Jake/fake-Eddie
Old 10-28-05, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Mordred
I can't see how this will be good.

Prequels are always good.. right? Official announcement today.

http://www.marvel.com/publishing/sto...tory.htm?id=51

Only in "Graphic Novel" Form. hooorah!

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC THE DARK TOWER

New Comic Series Exploring the Origin of the Notorious Gunslinger Character Marks First Time Stephen King Has Produced Original Content for the Comic Book Format.
Marvel Comics to Launch First Issue in April 2006.

NEW YORK – World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, and Marvel Comics join forces this spring to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

The comic series will mark the first time Stephen King has produced original content for an ongoing comic book project. The series will expand the saga of King’s epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will inform new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics "come of age" and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I’m excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King.

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

King continued, "I love Jae Lee's work, and I think this is going to be a dynamite partnership. Frankly, I can’t wait."

The first issue is scheduled to debut in April, 2006 with a hard cover collection of the first 6 issues released Holiday, 2006. Fans will start seeing promotional items – which feature more info in the series – beginning this December. Watch for more info as it becomes available at www.marvel.com/king
Old 10-28-05, 07:16 AM

I like this part -

The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.
Old 10-28-05, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I like this part -

The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.
Hmmmm, interesting.
Old 10-28-05, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Sounds pretty cool to me. I'll check it out.
Old 10-28-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think news like this deserves its own thread.

Here is a longer version of the article.

It also mentions two new books coming next year. Jan. & Oct.
Old 10-28-05, 12:00 PM
Banned

Hmm, more background stuff...eh...not as interested as I'd like to be, but I'm sure I'll lay my $ down just the same...
Old 04-01-06, 09:58 AM
Banned

Well, to update anyone who cares (and to kick off fresh discussion, why not?), I finished Book 6: SONG OF SUSANNAH yesterday and...WOW! This series is nearly sheer perfection thus far (please let the final entry not ruin everything that has come prior). My worries about WIZARD AND GLASS were certainly wholly unfounded--it was a riveting read. It would be very, very hard to pick a favorite thus far, though if you asked me right this second, I would probably go with the unpopular choice of WOLVES OF THE CALLA--it's just that so much was going on in that story, from going todash, to the main Wolves storyline, to the subplot with Andy the robot, and the one with Susannah's growing chap, to the introduction of Father Callahan and, by extension,
Spoiler:
Stephen King himself
, it became the fastest read I've ever had for a novel that huge. I just tore through it. It was also the first in the series to really add in healthy doses of the horror element for which King is famous (Susannah's nighttime feeding at the swamp was vintage King horror and I wasn't until I read it that I realized how much that usually ever-present quality to King's writing had been absent up until then). For those who think the series went off the proverbial cliff after Book 4, I cannot disagree more strongly--this series hasn't missed a beat yet. I can only conclude that the naysayers just can't get past the major plot twist I spoilerized above but, personally, I find that twist to be compelling and, really, very likely the only authentic place this tale could have ended up.
Old 06-10-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I just finished off the series today.

Spoiler:
I pondered for a few seconds wether or not I should listen to King's warning, but quickly decided against it. And I was quite glad I didn't. I saw the ending coming somewhat (partly thanks to hearing and reading a few opinions on the series), but I truly did not see it coming. I think it was the right ending just like King said, and when I should start the cycle all over again, I expect to view it in a different, richer, light.

As of right now Book 7 is now my favorite, but another reading of the series is definitely required to form a solid opinion.

I'm very interested to hear Filmmaker's thoughts on the series, because I have largely agreed with him.

On another note, it is quite interesting Book 2 has 19 votes in the poll. *creepy music play*
Old 06-10-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think number 7 is absolutely the best. Most of the plot threads are concluded nicely. I can't vwait to read them again. I would also add that Wizard and Glass was my least favorite. I kept waiting for the story to end and the adventure to start up again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.