Reload this Page >

GRR Martin's A Feast For Crows - post-publication discussion thread

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 10-10-05, 07:38 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait, finally A Feast For Crows will be out in stores. I can't even explain how much I have wanted this book, the only thing that could come close was the anticipation for the first of the new Star Wars movies. I have recently just went back and reread the first three books to remind myself of all of the story lines.
Old 10-10-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking forward to it too. With any luck my copy will be here from the UK before the end of the month (about the 25th).

Audible will have the audio on the North American release date for anyone interested in that.

Last edited by Scarecrow; 10-10-05 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm stoked as well. Luckily for me I didnt get into the series until about 2 months ago and I'm already on my way through the first 3 again. How the hell did you wait so long?
Old 10-11-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I'm going to have time to read the first three again before its release. Hope my memory is good...
Old 10-12-05, 09:58 AM

At last.

Got it. Dead chuffed. I thought I'd take a walk around some bookstores in the rain and sure enough I found it in Waterstones in Leadenhall (for any of you London-based readers). Had to pay full-whack for it 'though. Just have to read my customised summary of the previous volumes tonight and take it from there.
Old 10-12-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you can't remember the plots of the previous books there are some good online summaries.

Set aside an hour or so per book because these summaries are detailed:
http://members.aol.com/vbkorik27/main.html

This site has chapter summaries and hyperlinked names which is nice, but the summaries aren't quite so detailed, also it's not done yet only going to chapter 54 of A Storm of Swords:
http://alesmi2.farvista.net/books/index.html
Old 10-13-05, 02:06 AM

Thanks Mordred. I'm actually using my own variant of this one that you mentioned. Still haven't started it - too depressed after watching ROI fail to qualify for World Cup. Oh well....
Old 10-14-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a question. I was under the impression this was to be a 6 book series, but someone told me Feast For Crows is the last book. I am only on Book 2 so don't know any better. Is FFC the last one or is there 2 more to come later on?
Old 10-14-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Crows is definately not the last book. The series will probably be seven books at this point according to Martin.

I got my shipping confirmation from Amazon UK today. Can't wait for it to get here.
Old 10-15-05, 06:34 PM

George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series Question

Is their any place on the web, where i can get a good rundown what happen in the last three book? I don't have the time to read all three books again, before the fourth comes out.
Old 10-15-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 10-15-05, 06:56 PM

Thanks
Old 10-15-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the summaries Mordred! I finished ASOS 2 years ago so I remember most of the major plot points but this will definitely help refresh my memory.
Old 10-16-05, 11:16 AM

Thanks Scarecrow for that link!! Definitely need to refresh my memory.
Old 10-16-05, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually thank Mordred, it's his link...
Old 10-19-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Actually thank Mordred, it's his link...
Actually thank the guy who did them and whoever added those links to Wikipedia so I found them They were very useful to me, glad you guys are getting some use out of them as well.
Old 10-20-05, 12:40 AM

I'm a little torn; do I follow through on my long standing plan to re-read books 2&3 or just take the easy road of summary?
Old 10-20-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going with the summary. I want to be able to read FFC when it's released. No way I could finish the full books between now and then.
Old 11-03-05, 05:37 AM

Okay, currently have this on preorder from Amazon. Thinking about cancelling and just picking it up at a books store since Amazon apparently will not ship until the day after release! No guarantees that it will get to me on release day. I guess its not as popular as Harry Potter. Unlikely, but does anyone know any good prices at B&M stores?

By the way, someone should change the thread title.
Old 11-03-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unlikely, but does anyone know any good prices at B&M stores?
Barnes & Noble sometimes discounts new titles when they come out. Don't know if Feast will qualify as popular enough or not. I don't know if they'd be able to tell you now if it'll be on sale or not. I've had Amazon ship a title anywhere from three days before it's release to a week after, they aren't real predictable.

I liked this book a lot, but it left me wanting more. It has a different feel than the earlier books since it's really only "half" a book. In the back he says he "hopes" to have Dance with Dragons out at the end of 2006.
Old 11-03-05, 03:45 PM
FM

Originally Posted by Scarecrow

I liked this book a lot, but it left me wanting more. It has a different feel than the earlier books since it's really only "half" a book. In the back he says he "hopes" to have Dance with Dragons out at the end of 2006.
Which means we'll see it sometime around 2010. D'oh!
Old 11-03-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FM
Which means we'll see it sometime around 2010. D'oh!
Lets hope it won't take that long since it's at least half done already.
Old 11-05-05, 09:40 PM

I'm hoping the local Waldenbooks opens at 8am on Tuesday so I can pick this up before I fly out (plane leaves at 9:45) of town for the week. Have about 5-6 hours of travel time so I need something to do on the flight! (Will watch a movie for part of it). Printing off the summaries now.

Scarecrow: Do you think it would have worked better if he had just given us the first half or so of the book as A Feast for Crows and the 2nd half as A Dance with Dragons, rather than giving us half the characters now and half later?

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 11-05-05 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-07-05, 06:52 PM
Suspended pending providing a working email address

Is there a quick summary or cliffs notes version of the first three books anywhere? I read em, but hell if I can really remember what was goin on. Is there a quick way to catch up?
Old 11-07-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadow
Is there a quick summary or cliffs notes version of the first three books anywhere? I read em, but hell if I can really remember what was goin on. Is there a quick way to catch up?
From further up in this post...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.