Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the scariest book you've ever read? / Recommend a scary book

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What's the scariest book you've ever read? / Recommend a scary book

Old 11-20-05, 09:28 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin
Since most of my Favorite Stephen King stories are already memtioned here, here are some of my favorites that havent been mentioned so far: Stephen King's The Shining is pretty good.
Ahem, how insulting. Please reread post #24.
Old 11-20-05, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not really into scary books, but for me the scariest one I read is Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Old 11-20-05, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Ahem, how insulting. Please reread post #24.
Ooops...my bad.
Old 11-20-05, 04:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Well, alright then... (*folds arms against chest haughtily*)
Old 12-01-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a big reader of scary books, but I will say that IT had me so scared, I could only read it during the daylight
Old 02-12-06, 07:55 PM

bump so I don't have to search for this thread...
Old 02-13-06, 10:52 AM

remember reading Robert MacCammon's They Thirst (the undead in LA) and Blue World (short stories) as a young pup . recall that both were pretty creepy - more creppy than the usual S. King and J. Saul fare i was reading at the time.
Old 02-13-06, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
a read a short story collection from Stephen King that really gave me the scares, but I cant recall the title of the book
Maybe Skeleton Crew? That story "The Jaunt" scared the shit out of me. To this day I can not sleep if I read it. And "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" always creeped me out. Never was a huge King fan, but this collection of stories was really well written and pretty unnerving at times.
Old 02-13-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by areacode212
When I was a kid, it was The Amityville Horror.
I was going to say the same thing. Scared the shit out of me in High school.
Old 03-01-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Salem's Lot (again!)

and a book I haven't been able to re-read because I was SO creeped out by it was Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Old 03-23-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to add my name to The Shining. I thought Phantoms was scary as well. And when I was younger I was really spooked by Apocalypse, sequel to The Sentinal.
Old 03-23-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ceeece

I think "Salem's Lot" was pretty scary. As well as his short story "Jerusalem's Lot". .
I just got finished reading SL, and absolutely loved it...I dont know what took me so long to finally get around to reading it, but Im glad I did. I didnt know there was another short story though. Is it a continuation, prequel , or just a shorter version? I would definitely check it out.
Old 03-23-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know if non-fiction is allowed, but the scariest book I've ever read is "Helter Skelter". I read it when I was way too young for true crime (10? 11?), and for years afterward I couldn't sleep in the dark, and thought Charlie Manson was in my closet at night!
Old 04-02-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,347 Likes on 2,138 Posts
S. King's The Stand is my favorite, although I wouldn't really call it scary it did have a few unnerving parts ie: walking through the tunnel.
Old 04-03-06, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
I just got finished reading SL, and absolutely loved it...I dont know what took me so long to finally get around to reading it, but Im glad I did. I didnt know there was another short story though. Is it a continuation, prequel , or just a shorter version? I would definitely check it out.
It's a prequel of sorts; there is yet another short story directly connected to 'SALEM'S LOT called "One for the Road" (both short stories referenced can be found in NIGHT SHIFT), that works as a brief sequel (though, as I recall, none of the characters in the novel make repeat appearances in either short story). And if you really want all the connective tissue, you'll need to read DARK TOWERs V-VII, which involve a certain faithless priest...
Old 04-03-06, 09:25 AM

The short story "The Boogyman" in Steven King's "Night Shift". Made me not sleep with the closet door open.
Old 04-03-06, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Njl
Scariest book I've read would probably be The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

I will second this recommendation with all my heart. Banks' stuff is hard to find in the States and is often not cheap if you can't find used. It's worth every penney if you can find his stuff (I dropped about $200 on about 8-9 books of his last weekend). This particular story is very, very gritty and I was nervous and amazed at many times in the story.

Right now I'm trying to convince my Mom to read it. It will freak her out.

Also recommended (not necessarily scary)...anything this guy has written under Iain Banks or Iain M. Banks. His Science Fiction work is brilliant and straight fiction always very interesting.
Old 06-20-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What's the scariest book you've ever read? / Recommend a scary book

BUMP:

Any recommendation from the last three years? Going on vacation next month, and looking for something uber-scary.
Old 06-20-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It's from 2002, but The Darkest Part of the Woods by Ramsey Campbell is a fantastic read.
Old 06-21-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Black Book of Communism, the most horrific thing I have ever read.
Old 06-22-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wageslave
The short story "The Boogyman" in Steven King's "Night Shift". Made me not sleep with the closet door open.
One of my fave's! I think this is the one where the main characater is talking to a therapist, correct?
Old 06-23-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check some of these out.
Old 06-29-09, 09:46 PM

I tried to find some Karl Edward Wagner stuff after reading about "Sticks" as I'm a big fan of Kane and the prices of his books (nearly all are out of print) are scarier than the books recommended in this thread. Thumbs up to the House of Leaves recommendation. I thought the Navidson Record portions were very unsettling.
Old 06-30-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone read those "Thriller" books? The first volume was edited by James Patterson, and the second one was done by Clive Cussler (which only came out about a month ago). I have the first one, but haven't started it yet.
Old 03-15-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry for repetition, but House of Leaves is just *so* good - I know I won't ever forget it. It freaked me out and gave me nightmares from the very first night while I was reading it, and I grew up as someone loving 70s/80s horror. I can probably at least guarantee you've never read anything like this.

Originally Posted by Tscott
It's about 1) someone who finds some notes of a film critique and tries to assemble them and what the process does to him, 2) the blind man who critiqued the film and recently passed away, 3) the family of a documentary film maker who discovered that the house he owned is bigger on the inside than the outside, and 4) er, maybe there's only 3 things....
Hm, I think you were going to be right if you were going to name a 4th party as someone who made a contribution to the tale...

(*Don't* read this is you haven't yet read House of Leaves):
Spoiler:
Don't forget The Editors -- who, yes, could have at least theoretically played a part in writing, along with the ones you listed in your post, and particlarly Johnny, but seems obvious that if this is being presented as a "real" book, JT should have had his own Editors (unless you read it as if he made the Copyright page -- and don't forget the Copyright page - which in this book, is part of the "story"... If there had really been Editors, they would have added that, surely..?

Originally Posted by Tscott
Recommended for those to like to puzzle things out, but if you like to turn your brain off when you read, this wouldn't be the book for you.
Agreed... You have to be able to devote some time and thinking to House of Leaves -- otherwise, don't bother. There's no other way to read it and fully appreciate it, because there are many treasures inside.

And yeah, there is a house which (just in case):
Spoiler:
...repeatedly has internal measurements which do not physically add up to quite the same and are actually larger than the external measurements going 'round the outside of the House but the author doesn't act in a puffy, condescending kind way..

Lot of chills, too..

Last edited by mersaulte; 03-15-10 at 12:32 AM. Reason: i'm dumb.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.