Other ( please list )
23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite Science Fiction Writer?

Old 09-22-05, 12:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhmac
The fact that "Other" is leading means that this isn't a very good poll.
Hmmmm.... maybe you didn't really have anything constructive to add to this thead?
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
I feel like an ass, I should have put jules verne and phillip k dick as well.
There used to be the facility for moderators to add to poll options but I think it has gone. Nevertheless people can still vote "Other" and explain their choice.

Personally, I have a great difficulty choosing at top ten let alone a favourite writer. Gene Wolfe would be up there, as would David Zindell. From the oldschool I'd certainly mention the Heinlein, Clarke and Asimov and would be hard pushed to ignore the works of Bradbury, van Vogt and PKD.

And on another day I bet I'd look through my shelves and list a dozen further notables!
Old 09-26-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Anne McCaffrey??? She gets into fantasy too, but I love the stuff she weote for Dinasoar planet, Sassinak, the "Ship Who...." series, and of course a lot of the Dragonrider of Pern series, the ones that are sci-fi-like anyways. By far my favorite.

runner up would be Ben Bova.

Also like some of Orson Scott Card's stuff, but some of it gets kinda "out there".

Out of the list, my favorite would be Asimov, loved the Foundation series.
Old 09-29-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Philip K. Dick is my favorite. Harlan Ellison would be up there for me too, along with Bradbury and Asimov.

I am absolutely and completely addicted to PKD's writings. I probably like his short stories the best, but I also am very fond of his novels.

I just got done reading the the complete (to date anyways) series of Hugo Award winners and The New Hugo compilations. This was great way to expose me to some excellent writers that I wasn't familiar with before.

A few that I definitely want to start reading more of were; Ursula LeGuin, Pol Anderson, and Connie Willis.

For those of you who like short stories I highly suggest checking those compilations out.

Also, I would be interested in hearing some suggestions for which Ursula book I should start with, if anyone has some.
Old 10-01-05, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asimov

I do like some Heinlein and some Orson Scott Card (Ender books). And Heinlein's "Door into Summer" is a personal favorite book for some odd reason, I re-read it once every few years.

But Asimov, hands down. Robot novels, Foundation Novels, short stories, I consider Asimov my #1 by far.
Old 10-01-05, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I voted other - Jules Verne.
Old 10-01-05, 11:21 AM

I said Heinlein. A close second would be Neal Stephenson.
Old 10-04-05, 06:41 PM

strange list. orwell is not a scifi writer. and i wouldn't put huxley or vonnegut in that category either.

on that list, probably Heinlein, but my favorite science fiction writer is PKD.
Old 10-05-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 318 Posts
Another vote for Asimov. The good doctor's novels were a cornerstone of my youthful development, and I devoured all the Foundation, Robot, and Galactice Empire books I could grab. His robot short stories were just fantastic.

Tied for a close second would be Harlan Ellison and Ray Bradbury, although Ellison would probably punch my lights out if I ever called him a science fiction writer to his face. I still have the same copy of STALKING THE NIGHTMARE I bought 20 years ago and it remains probably my favorite short story collection ever. The same with THE ILLUSTRATED MAN.

Groin, and