Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever noticed that Hard cover books look better without paper jacket?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-26-05, 09:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you take the paper jacket off of a hard cover it always looks better. So I removed all the paper jackets and threw them away. Anyone else do this?
Old 07-26-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
No. They help protect the books, plus they have artwork lacking on the hardcover. But I guess that's the collector talking. I also keep the slipcovers for my DVD's.
Old 07-26-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep. I prefer the classier look of the bare hardcovers, but I don't go so far as to toss the covers in the trash.
Old 07-26-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Paper jacket =
Old 07-26-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I take off the jacket when I'm reading the book (I hate it when it flops around...that's right, I said it.) But I put it back on when it goes back to the shelf.
Old 07-26-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I take off the jacket when I'm reading the book (I hate it when it flops around...that's right, I said it.) But I put it back on when it goes back to the shelf.
Same here.

A friend of mine trashes his jackets. With the varying quality of Hardcover bindings I don't really care for the look.

If you really want them looking good start buying Easton Press or Folio Society books.

To each his own.
Old 07-27-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always remove the dust jackets when reading and rarely put them back on (a few of them look really good - like the Collected Grimm Tales). Usually the dust jacket is really loud like dvd covers are and I just can't stand them.
Old 07-27-05, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The jacket holds a huge percentage of a book's resale value--not worth getting rid of if there's any chance of the book being resold on ebay.
Old 07-27-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, dust jackets will become obsolete once Dustucont paper comes out!
Old 07-27-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, the jacket is there just for protection. I don't expect it to be pretty.

Actually, in the case of bigger books like the new HP hardcover, I'm thinking of making my own jacket out of grocery bags (like back in HS)
Old 07-27-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tasha99
The jacket holds a huge percentage of a book's resale value--not worth getting rid of if there's any chance of the book being resold on ebay.
True. I've been told that on average a jacket holds about 80% of the value to a collector, more in some cases.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/roadsh...ustjacket.html
In good condition, such booksówith their dust jacketsóare worth tens of thousands of dollars, notes Marsha. Yet if the dust jacket is missing, the same first editions may be worth only several hundred dollars.
Old 07-27-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

The reader and collector of books in me is absolutely shuddering right now. By removing the dust jacket (whether to read or store the book), you're removing the purpose and personality and collectibility of the jacket, most of which has been stated above. When you read a book without the cover, it might be more comfortable in your hands, but the oils and grime and dirt and slime from your skin are getting all over that poor book's cloth. You might as well rub the spine through your ass crack.

As for storing your books without their jackets...my god, man, that's abhorrent. You've lobotomized your collection, you've made it a bland assortment of anonymous muted colors across your shelf. You've robbed the books of their faces, as well as a bit of their souls! Can you hear them crying?

Old 07-27-05, 07:26 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me too.
Old 07-27-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason Bovberg
...You might as well rub the spine through your ass crack.
Actually, I've found that doing this fun exercise is more enjoyable with those slick, glossy hardbacks that don't need a dust jacket. Like cookbooks.
Old 07-27-05, 08:42 AM

Nope - I leave the dust jacket on. Although I remove it and put a cloth cover on when I am reading a hardcover (can't rid the collector in me).
Old 07-27-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I remove the dust jacket when I'm reading a book to preserve them from unnecessary wear and tear.
Old 07-27-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually leave the jacket on because most books seem to have their actual spine titles printed in glitter that comes off on your hands...yuck!

BTW, off topic...but what's up with books printed on lousy/cheap paper...you know what I'm talking about - the kind where the width doesn't even match up and when you close the book and look at it you have the pages sticking out at different widths instead of all being uniform. It seems like every book I've ever gotten through a book club membership is printed this way...one of the reasons I stopped joining book clubs and just go to the bookstore now.
Old 07-27-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know what you're talking about, but it doesn't have to do with paper quality. It's how the book was bound & trimmed. FWIW every book I have like that was a standard publishers edition. All of my bookclub books are properly trimmed & bound (binding quality is another story though).
Old 07-27-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The reader and collector of books in me is absolutely shuddering right now. By removing the dust jacket (whether to read or store the book), you're removing the purpose and personality and collectibility of the jacket, most of which has been stated above. When you read a book without the cover, it might be more comfortable in your hands, but the oils and grime and dirt and slime from your skin are getting all over that poor book's cloth. You might as well rub the spine through your ass crack.

As for storing your books without their jackets...my god, man, that's abhorrent. You've lobotomized your collection, you've made it a bland assortment of anonymous muted colors across your shelf. You've robbed the books of their faces, as well as a bit of their souls! Can you hear them crying?

Eh, I buy books to read, not to stick them on a shelf and look at them.

I usually buy paperback - same words, cheaper and if it gets torn up, $5.99 to replace it.
Old 07-27-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Eh, I buy books to read, not to stick them on a shelf and look at them.
The more cultured among us do both. Books are literature, after all. They're a form of contemporary art. They're worthy of care.
Old 07-27-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The more cultured among us do both. Books are literature, after all. They're a form of contemporary art. They're worthy of care.
I could understand a "first edition" or something hand-illustrated, but it's not like the latest Harry Potter book is irreplacable. It's the content that matters, not the paper it's printed on.

I know there are those that will disagree with this practice as well, but it's like taking a DVD out of the case and putting in a binder. It's just packaging.
Old 07-28-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could understand a "first edition" or something hand-illustrated, but it's not like the latest Harry Potter book is irreplacable. It's the content that matters, not the paper it's printed on.

I know there are those that will disagree with this practice as well, but it's like taking a DVD out of the case and putting in a binder. It's just packaging.
I understand both arguments. But to me, books are a COLLECTION. Just like DVD's. I like collecting them and displaying them as well as watching/reading them.

Hardcovers are read with the dust covers on. To protect the book as well as myself. I can't remember what series it is, maybe Terry Goodkind, but some publisher is making a hardcover with black covers where the black comes off on your hands. Gross. Also, I never dogear hardcovers, a bookmark must be used.

Paperbacks are pretty much pulp, although Draven bends his in half when he reads them, which just drives me nuts. Don't you see what that's doing to the spine!?! I have a problem. I'm aware of this. At least he stopped doing it to my books when I asked him to. I do dogear pages in paperbacks.
Old 07-28-05, 02:44 PM

I feel the same way. A book without the dustjacket looks like a book. Most dustjacket art in my opinion is just atrocious. I never get rid of my jackets and leave them on most of the time. I do take them off occassionally to read. If I were an author I would commission my books without the jackets. I like Easton Press but just too dang expensive.
Old 07-28-05, 05:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I usually leave the jacket on because most books seem to have their actual spine titles printed in glitter that comes off on your hands...yuck!
"Is that glitter?"
"Yeah, it must be from that book I was reading last night."
"A book, huh? What was her name?!? How many ones did you have to tip her before she'd let you 'read'?"
"No honey, I'm serious, it was..."
"GET OUT!!!!"
Old 07-28-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xander
Paperbacks are pretty much pulp, although Draven bends his in half when he reads them, which just drives me nuts. Don't you see what that's doing to the spine!?! I have a problem. I'm aware of this. At least he stopped doing it to my books when I asked him to. I do dogear pages in paperbacks.
When it falls apart, I buy another one if I want it that badly. Paperbacks are pretty much "disposable" to me. Though I only do it to my own books.

I think you used to have a "no dogearring paperbacks" rule too, but I broke you of it. You can't fight me, you can only hope to contain me

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.