Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Post Release Discussion

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-15-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Benedict says and I do. Just wondered why spoilers were necessary in here. If someone joins here they should know better than not to expect spoilers. That being said, I will not be back in this thread until I've received and read the book. I already know who the half blood prince is from all the lame spoilers floating around.
Spoiler:
It is your mother
:whistles:
Old 07-15-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's officially released here in Newfoundland now. There were contests in Canada where the winners were flown here to be the first ones to get the book in North America. The main bookstore, Chapters, was madness. I didn't buy the book. I am planning to get the audiobook more than likely.
Old 07-16-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well just got back with my book, and started on it. Im not the fastest reader in the world so I probably wont be back in this thread until Im finished but pretty happy about getting it. I thought waiting for Starwars was bad but this took the fucking cake. Will definitely pre-order online next time to save time and a lot of embarassment in the future.
Old 07-16-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My fiancee and I went to a midnight release party so we could get a kick out of bald, 40 year old men dressed as wizards. Good times. I let her get first dibs on the book, though, so it'll be a couple of days before I can read it.
Old 07-16-05, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

took the wife to get her book... what a show...wizards everywhere...never read a HP book...don't plan on it any time soon...not a put down really, just other things i would rather read before hand. It was important to her, so i took her, and bought the book. Some kid had a green face and looked like the Incredible hulk...and he was really loud.

my store is selling this...its the only book we ever sell...expecting a bid weekend

Henry potter rules. watch out for page 606 though...its doozy
Old 07-16-05, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without reading anything posted before this, just wanted to chime in and say that this is by far the best start of all the books! I can't put it down! And I have to work tomorrow at 9am! Shit!
Spoiler:
Phlegm!!!

Ok, see you guys on the flip side. Hopefully by Sunday night.
Old 07-16-05, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieking
It's officially released here in Newfoundland now. There were contests in Canada where the winners were flown here to be the first ones to get the book in North America. The main bookstore, Chapters, was madness. I didn't buy the book. I am planning to get the audiobook more than likely.
I took my sister to my local Chapters around 11:30 pm and it was madness. We waited approximately an hour and 15 minutes before we were able to get through the line and buy the book.
Old 07-16-05, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Benedict says and I do. Just wondered why spoilers were necessary in here. If someone joins here they should know better than not to expect spoilers. That being said, I will not be back in this thread until I've received and read the book. I already know who the half blood prince is from all the lame spoilers floating around.
Spoiler:
It is your mother
:whistles:
So who is the half-blood prince anyhow? Based on my total lack of knowledge and interest in Harry Potter, I'm guessing that the half blood prince is
Spoiler:
Harry Potter himself
Old 07-16-05, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm currently going through the book...

...and I can say that this is Rowling's best Harry Potter novel since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I certainly reads a lot faster than her last HP novel.

By the way I know who the so-called Half-Blood Prince is, but I won't reveal it for obvious reasons.
Old 07-16-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was at my brother's house hanging out until around 11 PM, then my wife and I headed home. On the way we passed the B&N that my folks pre-ordered the books from. I stopped by, asked if I could pick them up for them and they said yes and gave me a yellow wrist band (#507).

They had wand making activities for the kids (and everyone else) and some storytime thing and a really pathetic costume contest.

At midnight they started calling them in groups of 30. Around 1:10 AM they called for group 481-510. Waiting a total of 1 hr 45 mins wasn't so bad.

I got home, read three pages and fell asleep.

...but I'll be spending all day with my nose in the book.

Oh, when I left there was still a line to get your wrist bands and they were somewhere in the 800s, also, there were about 300 people left in the store (the one by South Towne Mall in Sandy, UT).
Old 07-16-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Without reading anything posted before this, just wanted to chime in and say that this is by far the best start of all the books! I can't put it down! And I have to work tomorrow at 9am! Shit!
Spoiler:
Phlegm!!!

Ok, see you guys on the flip side. Hopefully by Sunday night.
Spoiler:
It for sure isn't Harry Potter. Rowling has stated it isn't Harry or Voldemort. What a title it would be, though. Harry Potter and ... himself. What a conceited guy.
^^ Actual spoiler don't highlight if you are utterly blank about the book. ^^
Old 07-16-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got my book just now from Amazon, perfect condition and everything. Time to get cracking!
Old 07-16-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I recently saw the page that has been floating around. Cant believe I got spoiled on the day of the release. I just hope it is wrong. But now I know it'll be in the back of my head the whole time I'm reading it.
Old 07-16-05, 03:26 PM

i am already on page 170 and i just got the book 2 hours ago.
great so far
Old 07-16-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just finished it ... picked it up at Walmart at 12:30 AM ... no lines and a 14.77 pricetag ... and free cake!

I'm still debating whether I really liked the book or not. I definitley didn't blow me away, but it did have some good parts. The characters are older, yet they still have the same basic problem's they've always had.

Okay ... I know some people just want to be spoiled ... so here it goes. Do not read if you want to be suprised ... major,major spoilers below.

Spoiler:

The half-blood prince is .... Snape.
The major character death is .... Dumbledore.
Dumbledore's killer is .... Snape.

One positive of this penultimate books is that we finally get some answers, and the stage seems pretty well set for the final installment.
Old 07-16-05, 07:06 PM

1. I found myself, at various points throughout the story, flashing back to the first time I read Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone. What a fanciful story, fun and full of whimsy that was. I can't really say the same thing about either this story or Order of the Phoenix ... I found myself amazed at some points that these stories were even connected to that first one. I understand ... characters are getting older, times are getting darker, the first wasn't totally fun because Harry's parents still got killed, etc., but it's really a shame that the characters can't seem to have fun anymore, that everything must be seeped in dreariness. At some points HBP reads more like a soap opera than a children's book (which it really isn't), and though that progression makes sense in the world of the story, I believe I'm still allowed to mourn the loss of some of happiness.

2. The identity of the half-blood prince ... well, like I said above, no spoilers, but like the identity of Kane's sled as Rosebud, the prince's identity really means very little to the plot of the story. Sure, it is a mystery, but one with very little weight or (seeming) importance.

3. Death ... once again, Rowling has hinted that a major character would not survive this penultimate chapter of the series. Once again, Rowling also toys with the readers, using their expectations to jump to early conclusions about certain circumstances. However, Rowling relies on standard plotting, meaning there are probably very few surprises to be found within the middle of the 652 page story.

4. Romance ... Rowling ratchets up the hormones in this story, which makes sense considering these are 16 and 17 year old kids in living in truly scary times. The British vocabulary adds a bit of mystery to the proceedings (ie, the kids are snogging, not smooching), but even in British English, a slut is still a slut ... definitely an interesting word to be used, for sure.

5. Mysteries ... Many questions are answered, and even more are raised. More light is shed on the "life" of Voldemort, and there are some other interesting ties to the other stories. There are a few of what I like to call "integral" mysteries ... ie, mysteries that drive the plot. Much like in her other books, these mysteries are very unlikely to be solved through the use of logic ... instead, an item innocently mentioned in early description takes much greater importance later, much like Ginny's acquisition of the diary in Chamber of Secrets.

While there were definitely some interesting elements in this novel, I'm not sure I enjoyed it nearly as much as some of the other ones. Questions are answered, but at a very slow and deliberate pace. Emotion and description run amok, as in OotP, in such a way that it seems as if Rowling is deliberately trying to improve her writing by "showing instead of telling", yet losing her flow in the process.

Perhaps my opinions will change upon further digestion of the material and another reading.

My rankings of the novels so far:

1. Goblet of Fire
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. -6. Order of the Phoenix & Half-Blood Prince
Old 07-16-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rowling is a sadist.

She is not taking the easy route and giving the hero the easy way, he will fight and struggle and hurt all the way to the end.

As for the next book
Spoiler:
Ginny has to stay with him, he has to realize that love is what saved him, and he will need all the love and help he can get.
Old 07-17-05, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that I've finally finished this book...

...I can say it's J.K. Rowling's best work since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Some spoiler comments:

Spoiler:
1. The last 100 pages feels rushed, but I think it was deliberately written that way with great effectiveness.

2. I especially liked how Dumbledore started to tell Potter the history of Tom Marvolo Riddle--a history of a very troubled family indeed.

3. I propose this highly controversial idea: what if Professor Dumbledore was planning his deliberate own passing? It's not as ridiculously far-fetched as you think--note that when we meet Dumbledore in the novel for the first time he was already much more physically frail than in previous HP novels. It also explains why Dumbledore has been passing down information about Voldemort to Harry Potter as fast as possible, the better for Potter to do the final confrontation with Voldemort down the road. In short, Professor Snape may have unknowingly set the stage for the final fall of Voldemort, in my humble opinion.

4. Why do I think that given the hints in the novel that Potter may be an unintentional Horcrux of Voldemort? Crazy as it sounds, that could explain the scar and the reason why the Sorting Hat nearly put Potter into the Slytherin house....

All in all, a fast-reading novel that reads much better than Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I just hope Rowling is up to the task of completing Book 7 by Summer 2007 with a reasonably satisfactory conclusion!
Old 07-17-05, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WOW. Best. Harry. Potter. Book. IMO of course. I didn't think there was a chance Goblet could be topped but DAMN.

Just...WOW.
Old 07-17-05, 04:53 AM

Spoiler:
I propose this highly controversial idea: what if Professor Dumbledore was planning his deliberate own passing?
Spoiler:
That's what I was thinking too, but with the thought that Snape was in on it as well. First we see them arguing about something (as told by Hagrid) and then on the tower DD pleads to Snape. He doesn't say, "please don't kill me" he just says Snape's name and "...please". what if Snape was angry at DD for telling him that if he had to kill him to keep his cover (as well as saving his life with the Unbreakable Vow), then he should? Maybe that's what they were arguing about. I just don't buy for a second that DD would let Snape back over to the good side with some lame tale of "Oh, I feel so guilty for getting James and Lily killed." It was no secret he hated James, and he called Lily a Mudblood, so it was hardly like they were best buds or anything. That's not a mistake, that's downright idiotic and something I don't think DD is capable of.

I couldn't believe it when Snape killed DD. I was totally freaking out; I still can't believe he's dead. This sucks.
Old 07-17-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I couldnt help it, I came back eventhough Im only through page 125...I agree that the start so far is very good, but I also miss the lightness of the first book. I understand though why it had to go in this direction. I have a question, that has always been the one thing I dont like about the book (not that I dont like the book, but this is one thing that really puzzles me), but I think Ill come and ask later when Im done because at the beginning of the book so far, its really bothering me and I just know Ill be tempted to read what others have to say about it and I dont want to be spoiled on other possible points.
Old 07-17-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't read the Amazon reviews if you did not finish the book, the very first review has who died.

Old 07-17-05, 08:16 AM

[spoiler]

3. I propose this highly controversial idea: what if Professor Dumbledore was planning his deliberate own passing?
Spoiler:
I really don't think that Dumbledore would ever beg for his life, even though that is how it was described. I still have the feeling that Snape is against Voldemort just because ... well ... it would be a waste of a lot of characterization and setup if Harry's feelings about him were true all along. Snape also let's Harry and the others go ... I'm pretty sure a true Death Eater would have just killed Flitwick instead of knocking him out.

Spoiler:

4. Why do I think that given the hints in the novel that Potter may be an unintentional Horcrux of Voldemort? Crazy as it sounds, that could explain the scar and the reason why the Sorting Hat nearly put Potter into the Slytherin house....
Spoiler:

That makes a lot of sense, but if true, might make a truly happy ending hard to come by.

Last edited by silentbob007; 07-17-05 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 09:17 AM

Drove past the Wal-Mart and saw a line that went outside the store. Drove up to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (a Wal-Mart with only groceries) at 11:45, went in and was third in line. Had the book at 12:01.

Spoiler:
I agree that Snape didn't change sides. The second chapter, where he makes the unbreakable vow, gives hints that he is bluffing. He doesn't know what Draco's mission really is. He pretends that he does to get Malfoy's mom to talk about it. Then Bellatrix springs the unbreakable vow on him which he had to make to keep up appearances.

It wasn't until after he made the vow that he realized that the mission was to kill Dumbledore. When they realized that Snape had to keep the unbreakable vow or die himself, I'm sure Dumbledore was insistent that Snape follow through with it, to keep his cover.

Since Snape was helping Malfoy with the project, they could make sure that it went along in Dumbledore's own time. Dumbledore could teach Harry, assemble the last few pieces of the puzzle, and make sure that his own death happened in a way and setting where there would be no other casualties (e.g. cursed locket, poison). This would also allow Malfoy and Snape to remain at Hogwarts, as their identities as Dumbledore's killers would not be known to the general public.

Malfoy had worked on the Disappearing Cabinets without the knowledge or assistance of Snape, hence the invasion of the Death Eaters and the additional collateral damage and deaths. The invasion obviously caught Snape (and Dumbledore) off-guard and he hesitated with going through with the mission. It was only after Dumbledore begged "Please" than Snape did the deed. Unfortunately, now Snape's "cover" at Hogwarts is blown and the Order of the Phoenix thinks he is a traitor, even though it was done at Dumbledore's insistance.

The second thing I noticed was the fake horcrux. The note was signed "R.A.B" which I connected with Rigelius Black, Sirius' younger brother who had become a Death Eater, became disenchanted with them, and was killed for it. If that is the case, the real horcrux (if Rigelius wasn't able to destroy it before his death) could still be in the Blacks' home at Grimmauld Place or worse, it may have been stolen by Mundangus and sold someplace, without anyone realizing its value.

The last thing I noticed was one of the horcruces was thought to be hidden in something from "Griffindor or Ravenclaw". James and Lilly Potter were Griffindor making Harry, in a manner of speaking, "something from Griffindor". We know that that horcrux can only be created during the act of murder. I'm thinking that somehow, when Voldemort killed Lilly, that he unintentionally made Harry a horcrux. The book describes the Slytherin ring, which was actually a horcrux, as having a crack in it. This crack may be a sign of a horcrux and Harry's scar is his own sign of being a horcrux.

Last edited by Booth; 07-17-05 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-17-05, 10:01 AM

Booth ... great analysis ... I think you are right on.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.