Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

How fast do you read through books??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-05, 07:08 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well....I noticed last night....I was reading HP: Goblet of Fire. It took me 30 minutes to read 30 pages. I suck I guess. That is pitiful considering that these books don't have an enormous amount of words on each page. So I guess when I read my Stephen King it takes even longer to read 30 pages.

wlj
Old 07-15-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It definitely depends on the level of interest and the quality of the book. I've finished some novels in a day, whereas others can literally take me months.
Old 07-17-05, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
I must be one of the slowest readers here! It takes me about 2 or 3 minutes per page. I usually take a few weeks to read a novel.

But I have solved Rubik's Cube in under 2 minutes.

Weird, huh?
Old 07-17-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My fastest time in solving the Rubik's cube was around 16-18 seconds, I think, but on average, it was about 45 seconds to solve it. I happened to luck into the lowest time.
Old 07-18-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm a fairly fast reader and my usual speed is just over a page a minute. I tend to finish a book in less than a week, reading in bed before I go to sleep. My speed record is probably my first reading of Battlefield Earth when I was in high school: 1066 pages of the paperback edition over a weekend when I had the flu.
Old 07-18-05, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
My fastest time in solving the Rubik's cube was around 16-18 seconds, I think, but on average, it was about 45 seconds to solve it. I happened to luck into the lowest time.
That is amazing, both your record and your average!
Old 07-18-05, 11:06 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman

The force is strong in that one.

wlj
Old 07-18-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read fast but I take my time with recreational reading. I also tend to daydream a lot or start thinking about an idea presented in the book and continue to read but not process what I'm reading. So short passages I almost always finish ahead of other people (very useful when taking the SAT and ACT) but for novels I end up re-reading the same passages over and over if I'm not focused.
Old 07-18-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I read fast but I take my time with recreational reading. I also tend to daydream a lot or start thinking about an idea presented in the book and continue to read but not process what I'm reading. So short passages I almost always finish ahead of other people (very useful when taking the SAT and ACT) but for novels I end up re-reading the same passages over and over if I'm not focused.
That is my problem lately. Drifting and not staying focused. Don't kidd yourselves folks, a page a minute is good in my book.
Old 07-23-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I work at a job where I sit at a desk for up to 8 hours a day and get paid to sit there (and make sure no one who isn't supposed to be coming in does) but I work mostly early mornings so there's no one around most of the time, so I manage to read about a book a day now. I tend to read non-fiction, fairly in-depth history and military books though, so oftentimes it's a slow read trying to fully comprehend (esp if the full history isn't explained well in the book). I sometimes jump book to book, but usually I read about 200 pages of a book in a block. But I must admit, reading for 5-6 hours straight can get awfully boring and it begins to get really tough to read and comprehend what you're reading.
Old 07-24-05, 01:22 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

When I read, I usually read fast, otherwise I'm not reading at all. I just read the new Harry Potter in a week, which is about par for the course when I'm working.

...back when I wasn't working, 3 or 4 days tops.
Old 01-22-06, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
I'm a fairly fast reader and my usual speed is just over a page a minute. I tend to finish a book in less than a week, reading in bed before I go to sleep. My speed record is probably my first reading of Battlefield Earth when I was in high school: 1066 pages of the paperback edition over a weekend when I had the flu.

I don't know how all of you guys read so fast. Everytime I read I always find myself thinking about what I read, so it takes me about 2-3 minutes per page on average (some pages take me 1 minute, others take me 15). I have been reading Battlefield Earth since September of 2002. I am around page 500 or so because it takes so long to read each page that I usually quit after 30 minutes of reading (I also take a few months off between reading). I have a habit of starting books and never finishing them. I am in the middle of 1984, Battlefield Earth, K-PAX, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Shining, The Contest, and Everything's Eventual). I just finished The Da Vinci Code because I listened to the audio CD, so I don't know if you can count that as reading.
Old 01-22-06, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
a page a minute is good in my book.
Old 01-23-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I usually read at night when I work. I'll start to get tired, and notice after a few pages that I'm just reading, not comprehending. I'll have to go back and reread those pages again. Because of that, as well as not reading every night, it takes me a few months to get through books. Every once in a while I'll come across a book that really grabs my interest, and I'll read it in a week.
Old 01-23-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading tests peg me at 800-1000 words per minute, but I think I read novels and books faster. When I'm thinking about being tested I can't just "fall into" the reading like I can otherwise - I find myself reading the words instead of just absorbing them.

When I'm reading I don't even really know I'm reading most of the time, I just absorb the story kinda like watching a movie.

Normally I read a typical 300 page-ish fantasy/sci-fi book in about 5 hours. I'm re-reading George R.R. Martin's Ice & Fire before reading "A Feast for Crows". I normally re-read an entire series before reading the newest book.

I just read "A Game of Thrones" in two days - I'd say about 8-10 hours or so.
Old 01-23-06, 08:31 AM

I'm glad to see that I fall into the same category as alot of you. Depending on the novel, it can take me a week or several weeks. For example, I recently read the latest Potter book in about 4-5 days, but gave up on Ghost Story by Peter Straub because I had only finished half of it in a couple of weeks. It's not that I disliked it. I just got frustrated by lack of progress.
Then again, I was also skimming through parts of The Illustrated History of the Civil War, so that didn't help.

As others mentioned, I sometimes get sleepy while reading and find that I'm not comprehending what I just read. I also end up having to go back to the last few pages when I pick it up again so I can figure out where I am at.

Throw in work, family, television, DVDs, etc.. and it's hard to find time to really blow through a novel.
Old 01-23-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
I'm around a page a minute too, and not faster than 100pg/hour. I could read faster, but choose not to -- this is the pace that I get the most enjoyment out of a book. I like playing dialog in my head, imaging how the characters would sound. I like savoring a book I really like. With lack of free-time, I can rarely finish a book in less than a couple weeks now.
Old 01-23-06, 11:56 AM

I usually take about a week to finish a book, assuming that its about 300 or so pages, as most are. I like to read several things at once, though- one fiction, one non-fiction, a graphic novel and a magazine.

I could probably read faster, but I have a fear that I will someday run out of books to read if I go through them too quickly.
Old 01-27-06, 02:43 PM
Banned

As I believe I have a mild case of ADD, I have trouble with big books. A week or two is normal for me, except for James Patterson books. He has small chapters in his books and I can zoom thru his books in 1-2 days....
Old 01-27-06, 03:01 PM
Retired

Varies on how much free time I have and how much reading I"m doing for grad school (get burnt out on reading sometimes).

Generally pretty slowly as I'll just read at most an hour or so before going to bed on average, as I have other commitments and hobbies I do at other times of the day.

I probably read about a page a minute or a little faster, like others have mentioned, I like to take my time and enjoy it, appreciate the writing etc.
Old 01-27-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Not sure in terms of page-rate, but usually about 6-10 books a month.
Old 01-27-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Just read Stephen King's Cell in two days, one of the fastest times I think to read a book.
Old 01-28-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Back in Feb of 2003, I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (10 HUGE books, about 7-800 pages each) in 15 days of actual reading (although the days were spaced out over 21 days - some days I took a break.)

During and after that time, I had some straaaange dreams.
Old 02-12-06, 01:23 AM

Generally books I really love (harry potter mostly) I'll read the night/day I get them and will take a break for sleeping, wake up and finish it. I've done this with several other "lighter" books, like Davinci Code, usually finishing it in a day or two-of course that's only if I have the day off and nothing better to do.

I usually will either finish a book in about a week or forget about it and finish it months later.
Old 02-12-06, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I just read "A Game of Thrones" in two days - I'd say about 8-10 hours or so.
I am wating till I have a block of free time for that one. My friend that suggested it to me said it was the page turner of page turners.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.