DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   How fast do you read through books?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/430376-how-fast-do-you-read-through-books.html)

writer106 10-04-11 09:55 PM

Re: Are you a fast or slow reader?

I'm fast reader most of the time. Sometimes I can read 4 to 6 books a month. It just depends on whether I'm busy with other stuff.

Super56K 10-04-11 10:20 PM

I'm not a very fast reader and usually take my time and chew through books. I favor the literary end of things so I kind of have to do that to digest it all, but 'popular' novels I can zip through (Tons of dialogue, quick pace, etc) for that relentless/exciting page turning effect you get from them.

As an example it took me longer than I expected to read Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses over the summer. Recently I read Peter Cline's Ex-Heroes and bombed through it and had an enjoyable experience. I'm back to Cormac McCarthy again with The Crossing and my pace has slowed.

But, movies have won out this year as far as leisure goes. My list shows 180 watched films (no tv included) so far in 2011.

Giles 10-04-11 10:30 PM

I must admit I'm really a slow reader - I blame my DC Public High school English teachers, they took the 'fun' out of reading.

Josh-da-man 10-04-11 11:53 PM

Depends what I'm reading. I can usually burn through non-fiction books and some novels quickly. I'll tear through a 300 page paperback horror novel in an afternoon, but something like Gravity's Rainbow or Anathem will take me weeks to get through.

djmont 10-05-11 07:34 AM

I typically read about 50 pages/hour, which is slower than I used to. Part of it depends, of course, on what I'm reading.

mewmartigan 10-05-11 08:16 AM

I am pretty fast when I read but finding time can be tough. The Kindle has made it easier becuase I read on my Kindle when the kids are in bed. It syncs with my phone so I can read almost anywhere when I have time....waiting for oil change, long line at grocery store, etc. The Whispersync feature is great!

Quake1028 10-05-11 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by movieking (Post 10951819)
Usually pretty fast. Before I had kids, I was averaging 80-90 books a year, so a little under 2 books a week. Now I can't find the time to start a book, let alone finish it. I read one book this year, and now that both kids are in daycare and hopefully more on a schedule, I want to start reading more often again. I have to go through the last couple of months of the What Are You Reading threads to see what new releases I've missed...

I've been wondering where you've been.

riley_dude 10-06-11 01:13 PM

It depends on the book. Some I got through in a week or so. Some take longer if they are slow movers.

marty888 10-06-11 05:18 PM

Fast reader - even faster now with my Kindle. In the 8 months I've had the Kindle, I've been averaging 3-4 books per week, whereas previously I'd was reading about 2 books per week.

Cronenbergfan71 10-06-11 10:10 PM

I'm a pretty fast reader, although I don't read as fast as I used to. I tend to savor what I'm reading a bit more than I did when I was young and there are also more distractions than there were back then. Music and movies take up more of my time than they used to, especially since I have such a large collection of each. I have to make time to keep up with them too. I guess I could stop buying but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon. I'm still averaging two books a week this year and have to say my Kindle has certainly gotten me back into reading in a big way.

Larry C. 10-07-11 12:50 AM

I'm not a big reader so I'm usually not too fast unless its something that has me hooked then I'm really fast.

I think maybe it has happened 3 times in my life that a book was so good I couldn't put it down. I wish I kept up on books that way I would know what was a great read for my tastes.

wlj 10-07-11 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 10955084)
I'm not a big reader so I'm usually not too fast unless its something that has me hooked then I'm really fast.

I think maybe it has happened 3 times in my life that a book was so good I couldn't put it down. I wish I kept up on books that way I would know what was a great read for my tastes.

i am not a big reader either, each year I will go through a short "spell" of reading. I may get a 2-3 books read and that will be it. The most "hooked" I have ever been to a book is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. I probably read that one in two days. It is the best I have read.

iggystar 10-07-11 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C. (Post 10955084)
I think maybe it has happened 3 times in my life that a book was so good I couldn't put it down.

Yeah, that's about the same for me. I've read two books in one day (Kindred by Octavia Butler and Jurassic Park), otherwise my schedule is always so busy that if I push it I can only through one in a week, mostly one in a month. Plus, I have other hobbies and there's no way I can read in a car.

I always make it a goal to read more each year, but I still only average way less than I like. This year has been horrible I think I've read five so far.

Maxflier 10-07-11 10:04 AM

When I was younger I was a fast reader, I read Sphere in 2 days and Jurassic Park in 3. Nowadays it takes me months (not kidding) to get through a book because I will usually only read one chapter before putting it down and going do something else.

iggystar 10-07-11 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 10955257)
i am not a big reader either, each year I will go through a short "spell" of reading. I may get a 2-3 books read and that will be it. The most "hooked" I have ever been to a book is "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. I probably read that one in two days. It is the best I have read.

You know, I may have read that book in a couple of days as well. Either that one, or Into the Wild by Krakauer. Both were riveting.

kd5 10-12-11 05:39 PM

I read fast but I don't have nearly enough time to read so it takes longer to finish a book. -kd5-

djmont 10-13-11 04:57 PM

I guess you could say I'm a fairly big reader -- around 6'2", 215. Bigger than most readers, anyway.

mlisette23 10-15-11 03:38 PM

It really depends on what I'm reading, I can read the Eye of the World in 2-3 days, but Robinson Crusoe took me a few weeks...and it's significantly shorter.

The Bus 10-16-11 07:58 AM

Depends on the book and the writer. But finishing it in <i>x</i> vs. <i>y</i> days doesn't make one a slow reader or a fast reader. It just means you put more time into it. :)

movieking 10-18-11 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Quake1028 (Post 10952386)
I've been wondering where you've been.

I pretty much fell off the face of the earth with reading. The oldest one was finally sleeping regularly, so I was able to have a good routine of reading, but then the baby came along and decided she hated sleep, so reading has been a luxury I haven't been able to enjoy. Starting to get back into it a little bit, reading a couple of short stories (Stephen King, Michael Connelly)....

Ash Ketchum 10-20-11 10:06 AM

Last year, I read 17 paperback novels and this year about 13 or 14 so far (plus a couple of nonfiction). I read every workday during my commute. I take a book with me and keep reading it to and from my office (subway or express bus) until I finish it. Then I start another one. In terms of speed, I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm not fast, but I'm not slow either. I like to savor what I read, esp. if it's great writing. I can read short books that are largely dialogue in two or three days. Longer, denser books, like Jude the Obscure and The Thin Red Line, can take a few weeks. I recently finished Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima and it took a couple of weeks. But it's one of the best books I ever read. Every line said something, every paragraph was just a beautiful piece of writing.

Fist of Doom 10-20-11 10:50 AM

I'm probably a little above average in terms of speed.

As mentioned, the type of book and the circumstances make a big difference. I can fly through a John Grisham book, with its stripped-down storytelling style. Cormac McCarthy's prose is something I like to savor. And reading at the beach with no distractions is a lot faster than reading at home.

PopcornBandit 10-25-11 03:31 PM

I'm a moderately fast reader depending on the subject matter of the book. Sometimes I do read too fast though and find it hard to retain any of what I just read.

Living Dead 10-26-11 02:05 AM

I'm pretty fast. I usually read about 3 or 4 books a month. But then I started reading Harry Potter in June. I found those books so tedious that I just finished the 7th today, so it took me 4 months to read them all. I'm at a complete loss to understand why they're so popular. There was just so much in that story that was horribly repetitive, made no sense, and there were characters and entire subplots that went nowhere. But once I started it I wanted to finish it. It was definitely creative, just very poorly constructed.

draven31 10-26-11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Living Dead (Post 10979606)
I'm pretty fast. I usually read about 3 or 4 books a month. But then I started reading Harry Potter in June. I found those books so tedious that I just finished the 7th today, so it took me 4 months to read them all. I'm at a complete loss to understand why they're so popular. There was just so much in that story that was horribly repetitive, made no sense, and there were characters and entire subplots that went nowhere. But once I started it I wanted to finish it. It was definitely creative, just very poorly constructed.

And you can post your bashing of the Potter books in that thread.. -ptth-

LOL

Anyway, like some of ya'll i'm a fast reader of the subject matter grabs me. I'll put a book down and never pick it back up if it doesn't. I'm also big on rereading a book I enjoy.