Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

How fast do you read through books??

Old 02-12-06, 06:32 AM

Depends on how heavy of a read the book is for me. Something heavy like Conrad I read at a very slow pace of about 15-20 pages an hour. While a lighter read is about a page a minute. I could probably read though books faster but I like to take my time when I read for entertainment.

Last edited by Bateman; 02-12-06 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It takes me ~5 minutes a page for my schoolbooks (graduate level). I'm reading for thorough comprehension, though. And I thought that was good!

I read here and there - the throne, at work, at the drive-through waiting for my meal, DMV, etc.
Old 10-03-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How long does it take you to read a book?

I am a VERY slow reader. I "hear" the words in my head and sometimes re-read. If I get interrupted mid-sentence (even if it's a long passage) I -have- to start again from the last period. I read at the most 1-2 books a month, if that. Sometimes only one book a month, sometimes less. The last book I can remember finishing is Harry Potter 7 when it came out (and that only took me a week). One problem is that I need complete silence to concentrate and read and hence I can't read most books in public. It has to be very simplistic and accessible for me to be able to read in public. So that lowers my reading possibilities. And I have a very short attention span, period, so I'm usually doing 3-4 things at a time (Internet, movie, reading, sleeping in short bursts) so I don't really read for long stretches of time.
Old 10-03-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It really depends. My attention span isn't all that great either, so sometimes I'll start a book and get sidelined for like, months. I also tend to read while watching television, or I'll stop and surf the net, etc. I don't need complete silence to read, but trust me I tend to get distracted, confused and have to re-read parts alot. Like my brain isn't keeping up with the material.

If it's a book that's good it will usually take me about a week. If it's something completely engrossing, I've been known to finish in a day or two. The last book I did that with was Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. But, sometimes I'll get a book, pick it up and won't pick it back up for months.
Old 10-03-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on the book somewhere between a day and a week. I am a quick reader but I skim a lot of the books I read only focusing on the dialogue. I have never been able to get into long descriptions of settings and scenes.
Old 10-03-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on the book. I've been working on the same book for the past 3 months and it is only 400 pages. However, I read 900 paged King books over the weekend. Books like Harry Potter, Song of Ice and Fire, dragonlance, I go through those like a hot knife through butter.
Old 10-04-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read between 50-75 pages per hour, depending on the book. (I actually read, I don't skim.) So I usually read around 3 books a week.
Old 10-04-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5 days to 2 weeks, depends on how long the book is; I try to read 1 book a week.
Old 10-04-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by djmont View Post
I read between 50-75 pages per hour, depending on the book. (I actually read, I don't skim.) So I usually read around 3 books a week.
That's around 18 hours a week Where do you find the time? I wish I had all that time to read IN SILENCE
Old 10-04-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read for 2 or 2.5 hours most days. I love to read, so I'd rather do it than spend that time watching TV, surfing the internet, etc. (which I obviously do as well, but not as much).

Of course, getting paid for it is good incentive...
Old 10-04-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm an incredibly slow reader. Like deb, I hear the words in my head and often have to reread sentences. I would say I average a week to read a book. If it's a page turner, like say a Dan Brown book, that time is considerably shorter. If it's a bit dense, then the time can be considerably longer.

If I would venture to guess, I think my readig "speed" is slightly quicker than that of a book on tape. That's how I hear the words in my head.
Old 10-04-08, 07:17 PM

I average about ~1 book per week -- though will probably increase with the coming winter.
Old 10-06-08, 04:31 PM

That totally depends upon the book. I've read books in a day. Some books that only mildly interest me have taken up to a month and a half. I average about one a week to two weeks. I spend a lot more time in front of the tube or computer.
Old 10-07-08, 02:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

As a child and a teen I could read a book in a day or two. Maybe a week if it was Lord of the Rings.

In my twenties I found I was only reading a book or two a week.

These days it is more like a book a month.

Although I used to read very quickly, it is more a question of how much time I spend on books nowadays. With television, magazines, papers etc - not to mention the net - I've found that the fraction of the day I keep available for reading has much diminished. This is a matter of some regret. On the plus side, I do get out more and see more films and plays!

My unread pile remains large and growing!
Old 10-07-08, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by John-In-VA View Post
but gave up on Ghost Story by Peter Straub because I had only finished half of it in a couple of weeks. It's not that I disliked it. I just got frustrated by lack of progress.
That's because it was a total snore! It's one of the few novels I'd recommend the movie over any day. I think it's just his writing style.
Old 10-10-08, 11:48 PM

im a slow reader, i know i have to read more books probably like 1 a week but i dont have alot of time.
Old 11-13-08, 05:41 PM
Cool New Member

Does it realy matter? Reading is all about enjoyment. If you read slow you get more for your money. Ponder this: If the topis was sex would anyone be braging about how fast they were?
Old 12-09-08, 07:58 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Fladnag View Post
Does it realy matter? Reading is all about enjoyment. If you read slow you get more for your money. Ponder this: If the topis was sex would anyone be braging about how fast they were?

i don't think "it matters" -- it is just interesting to hear people's responses.
Old 12-30-08, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
That totally depends upon the book. I've read books in a day. Some books that only mildly interest me have taken up to a month and a half. I average about one a week to two weeks.
I'm the same way. It all depends upon the book.

If I'm reading for speed I can read quite quickly. But since I'm no longer in school my reading is mostly done for pleasure.

I read "Einstein's Dreams" this year, a book that could easily be read in one sitting. But it took me two months because I wanted to savor it. Each passage was so thought provoking that I took the time to think about what I was reading before continuing.

There are very few books I have ever walked away from once starting. So if I find myself reading a book I don't like I usually get stuck on it for forever, sometimes for months and months.

But it can go either way. If I love a book I can easily devour it. I read "Now is the Time to Open Your Heart" in one sitting, while waiting for the dentist. Books I love like "Harry Potter" or "Jane Eyre", or am just enjoying like "Twilight" or "Cause Celeb", I get through quickly.
Old 12-30-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends as I go through reading spurts where I'll read one book in a day or take 3 months to finish a book. Part of it depends on what else is going on (if things are busy at work or I'm on vacation)
Old 10-04-11, 12:17 PM
wlj

Are you a fast or slow reader?

I consider myself a slow reader. It isn't because I am dumb, I just don't read books quickly. My wife is on the other end of the spectrum -- she can read a long novel in a couple of days. It may take me a couple of weeks. I am currently reading A Game of Thrones which is like 800 pages long. I have been reading for a week and am on page 175.

So, are you fast or slow?
Old 10-04-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are you a fast or slow reader?

Usually pretty fast. Before I had kids, I was averaging 80-90 books a year, so a little under 2 books a week. Now I can't find the time to start a book, let alone finish it. I read one book this year, and now that both kids are in daycare and hopefully more on a schedule, I want to start reading more often again. I have to go through the last couple of months of the What Are You Reading threads to see what new releases I've missed...
Old 10-04-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a slow reader, averaging 1 or 2 books a month (unless a book's really short or I'm super interested in it, in which case I'll burn through it quickly). But that's also taking into consideration that I usually do my reading right before bed. By that time I'm pretty tired and only make it through a chapter or two.

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle next month and I'm wondering if that'll change the way I read.

Unrelated, but I also get sick if I read in a car. Man, I wish I could, though. So many long road trips over the years would've just flown by.
Old 10-04-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fast reader, when I read.
Old 10-04-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had my Kindle for a little more than a year, 55 weeks to be exact and read 114 books.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.