DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   How fast do you read through books?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/430376-how-fast-do-you-read-through-books.html)

Bateman 02-12-06 06:32 AM

Depends on how heavy of a read the book is for me. Something heavy like Conrad I read at a very slow pace of about 15-20 pages an hour. While a lighter read is about a page a minute. I could probably read though books faster but I like to take my time when I read for entertainment.

GatorDeb 02-13-06 11:20 AM

It takes me ~5 minutes a page for my schoolbooks :( (graduate level). I'm reading for thorough comprehension, though. And I thought that was good!

I read here and there - the throne, at work, at the drive-through waiting for my meal, DMV, etc.

GatorDeb 10-03-08 04:13 PM

How long does it take you to read a book?

I am a VERY slow reader. I "hear" the words in my head and sometimes re-read. If I get interrupted mid-sentence (even if it's a long passage) I -have- to start again from the last period. I read at the most 1-2 books a month, if that. Sometimes only one book a month, sometimes less. The last book I can remember finishing is Harry Potter 7 when it came out (and that only took me a week). One problem is that I need complete silence to concentrate and read and hence I can't read most books in public. It has to be very simplistic and accessible for me to be able to read in public. So that lowers my reading possibilities. And I have a very short attention span, period, so I'm usually doing 3-4 things at a time (Internet, movie, reading, sleeping in short bursts) so I don't really read for long stretches of time.

iggystar 10-03-08 05:14 PM

It really depends. My attention span isn't all that great either, so sometimes I'll start a book and get sidelined for like, months. I also tend to read while watching television, or I'll stop and surf the net, etc. I don't need complete silence to read, but trust me I tend to get distracted, confused and have to re-read parts alot. Like my brain isn't keeping up with the material.

If it's a book that's good it will usually take me about a week. If it's something completely engrossing, I've been known to finish in a day or two. The last book I did that with was Steve Martin's Born Standing Up. But, sometimes I'll get a book, pick it up and won't pick it back up for months.

innocentfreak 10-03-08 06:01 PM

Depending on the book somewhere between a day and a week. I am a quick reader but I skim a lot of the books I read only focusing on the dialogue. I have never been able to get into long descriptions of settings and scenes.

Baron Of Hell 10-03-08 08:34 PM

Depends on the book. I've been working on the same book for the past 3 months and it is only 400 pages. However, I read 900 paged King books over the weekend. Books like Harry Potter, Song of Ice and Fire, dragonlance, I go through those like a hot knife through butter.

djmont 10-04-08 03:31 PM

I read between 50-75 pages per hour, depending on the book. (I actually read, I don't skim.) So I usually read around 3 books a week.

Lateralus 10-04-08 04:33 PM

5 days to 2 weeks, depends on how long the book is; I try to read 1 book a week.

GatorDeb 10-04-08 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by djmont (Post 8983849)
I read between 50-75 pages per hour, depending on the book. (I actually read, I don't skim.) So I usually read around 3 books a week.

That's around 18 hours a week -eek- Where do you find the time? I wish I had all that time to read IN SILENCE :(

djmont 10-04-08 07:03 PM

I read for 2 or 2.5 hours most days. I love to read, so I'd rather do it than spend that time watching TV, surfing the internet, etc. (which I obviously do as well, but not as much).

Of course, getting paid for it is good incentive... :)

boredsilly 10-04-08 07:12 PM

I'm an incredibly slow reader. Like deb, I hear the words in my head and often have to reread sentences. I would say I average a week to read a book. If it's a page turner, like say a Dan Brown book, that time is considerably shorter. If it's a bit dense, then the time can be considerably longer.

If I would venture to guess, I think my readig "speed" is slightly quicker than that of a book on tape. That's how I hear the words in my head.

Geofferson 10-04-08 07:17 PM

I average about ~1 book per week -- though will probably increase with the coming winter.

celmendo 10-06-08 04:31 PM

That totally depends upon the book. I've read books in a day. Some books that only mildly interest me have taken up to a month and a half. I average about one a week to two weeks. I spend a lot more time in front of the tube or computer.

benedict 10-07-08 02:58 AM

As a child and a teen I could read a book in a day or two. Maybe a week if it was Lord of the Rings.

In my twenties I found I was only reading a book or two a week.

These days it is more like a book a month.

Although I used to read very quickly, it is more a question of how much time I spend on books nowadays. With television, magazines, papers etc - not to mention the net - I've found that the fraction of the day I keep available for reading has much diminished. This is a matter of some regret. On the plus side, I do get out more and see more films and plays!

My unread pile remains large and growing!

celmendo 10-07-08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by John-In-VA (Post 6722312)
but gave up on Ghost Story by Peter Straub because I had only finished half of it in a couple of weeks. It's not that I disliked it. I just got frustrated by lack of progress.

That's because it was a total snore! It's one of the few novels I'd recommend the movie over any day. I think it's just his writing style.

scarface983 10-10-08 11:48 PM

im a slow reader, i know i have to read more books probably like 1 a week but i dont have alot of time.

Fladnag 11-13-08 05:41 PM

Does it realy matter? Reading is all about enjoyment. If you read slow you get more for your money. Ponder this: If the topis was sex would anyone be braging about how fast they were?

wlj 12-09-08 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fladnag (Post 9070817)
Does it realy matter? Reading is all about enjoyment. If you read slow you get more for your money. Ponder this: If the topis was sex would anyone be braging about how fast they were?

i don't think "it matters" -- it is just interesting to hear people's responses.

QuirkyMovieGirl 12-30-08 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by celmendo (Post 8987471)
That totally depends upon the book. I've read books in a day. Some books that only mildly interest me have taken up to a month and a half. I average about one a week to two weeks.

I'm the same way. It all depends upon the book.

If I'm reading for speed I can read quite quickly. But since I'm no longer in school my reading is mostly done for pleasure.

I read "Einstein's Dreams" this year, a book that could easily be read in one sitting. But it took me two months because I wanted to savor it. Each passage was so thought provoking that I took the time to think about what I was reading before continuing.

There are very few books I have ever walked away from once starting. So if I find myself reading a book I don't like I usually get stuck on it for forever, sometimes for months and months.

But it can go either way. If I love a book I can easily devour it. I read "Now is the Time to Open Your Heart" in one sitting, while waiting for the dentist. Books I love like "Harry Potter" or "Jane Eyre", or am just enjoying like "Twilight" or "Cause Celeb", I get through quickly.

tofu 12-30-08 03:05 PM

It depends as I go through reading spurts where I'll read one book in a day or take 3 months to finish a book. Part of it depends on what else is going on (if things are busy at work or I'm on vacation)

wlj 10-04-11 12:17 PM

Are you a fast or slow reader?

I consider myself a slow reader. It isn't because I am dumb, I just don't read books quickly. My wife is on the other end of the spectrum -- she can read a long novel in a couple of days. It may take me a couple of weeks. I am currently reading A Game of Thrones which is like 800 pages long. I have been reading for a week and am on page 175.

So, are you fast or slow?

movieking 10-04-11 07:49 PM

Re: Are you a fast or slow reader?

Usually pretty fast. Before I had kids, I was averaging 80-90 books a year, so a little under 2 books a week. Now I can't find the time to start a book, let alone finish it. I read one book this year, and now that both kids are in daycare and hopefully more on a schedule, I want to start reading more often again. I have to go through the last couple of months of the What Are You Reading threads to see what new releases I've missed...

DJLinus 10-04-11 07:58 PM

I'm a slow reader, averaging 1 or 2 books a month (unless a book's really short or I'm super interested in it, in which case I'll burn through it quickly). But that's also taking into consideration that I usually do my reading right before bed. By that time I'm pretty tired and only make it through a chapter or two.

I'm thinking of getting a Kindle next month and I'm wondering if that'll change the way I read.

Unrelated, but I also get sick if I read in a car. Man, I wish I could, though. So many long road trips over the years would've just flown by.

Cardsfan111 10-04-11 08:14 PM

Fast reader, when I read.

Septemberbaby 10-04-11 08:17 PM

I've had my Kindle for a little more than a year, 55 weeks to be exact and read 114 books.