Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Finally read Ender's Game

Old 07-12-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Finally read Ender's Game

Couldn't stop. Loved it. But in the end I had a hard time describing why I loved it. I am about to go through Speaker of the Dead next.

Any fans?
Old 07-12-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally read this last year. Not sure why it took me so long to check it out, I've owned a copy for years, but never gotten to it.

I absolutely loved it! One of my favorite books. I've got a few of the sequel books, although I haven't read any of them yet. I plan to soon though.
Old 07-13-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, it's an awesme book. Although some people will most likely end up posting that the sequels aren't worth it, I say read 'em all. I love the entire series. The pace of the rest of the series is a lot slower than Ender's Game, but I still found myself glued to every page.
I'd like to make a suggestion. When I read the series, I alternated between the Ender books and the Shadow books. It worked nicely for me. This is the order I read them in:
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Speaker For The Dead
Shadow of the Hegemon
Xenocide
Shadow Puppets
Children of the Mind
Shadow of the Giant
First Meetings

You might enjoy them in that order.
Old 07-13-05, 09:49 AM

I also finally read Ender's Game last year and absolutely fell in love with them. Ive got most of the series now and they are all pretty good. I would recommend reading Ender's Shadow next to get a different twist on things.

GoOd sTufF!

!Z
Old 07-13-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is brilliant work dave. Read all the works thanks to my woman.

Damn you for bringing me to Book Talk.
Old 07-13-05, 10:23 AM

Ender's Game is my favorite novel...I have read it so many times that I am on my third copy from wearing them out.

I enjoyed the shadow sequels, but the speaker/xeno/children sequels I really did not like at all.
Old 07-13-05, 10:41 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked it up about a month ago and finished it on my vacation. I was drawn to the book because I just finished the Xbox game "Advent Rising" which was written by Orson Scott Card. I loved the story in the game. I thought that Ender's game was ok. I was not blown away by it. I definitely don't have the urge to read the other books in the series right now...maybe in the future.

wlj
Old 07-13-05, 10:42 AM

I liked Ender's Game, but enjoyed Speaker for the Dead more. Couldn't really get into Xenocide, i'll probably give it another chance some time.
Old 07-13-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This first book I read was The Xenocide and I loved it. I went back a few months later (thankfully having missed any foreshadowing) and read Ender's Game and fell in love. I enjoyed Speaker for the Dead, but I already knew all the secrets so I didn't have near the appeal for me. Children of the Dead was a major let down and while I enjoyed Ender's Shadow, the rest of the Shadow series seemed to be written for 5th graders... an impression I never got with the first three books.

Since then I forced my dad to read Ender's Game. He finished it in three days and read all the sequels except for the shadow series. I purchased a copy and gave it to a girlfriend in college. She read the book in a single day skipping her classes or reading during lectures just so she could finish it. A friend who never reads was intrigued so I let him borrow the book. He finished it in two days and then started passing the book around to his friends. After I got married, I told my wife to read it. Took her two days to get through it and another three to finish Speaker. She gave a copy to her best friend who finished it in a week.

I've never seen a book have that kind of viral effect on people. If I ever have children they will be reading that book in 3rd grade.
Old 07-13-05, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's absolutely adored by many people on the internet. I just found it to be OK.

I am a big fan of Card's Alvin Maker series, though.
Old 07-13-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I loved Ender's Game - one of my favorite books.

I recommend reading Ender's Shadow a bit later - after the other Ender series books - it sort of is a "back to the roots" story that I think would read better as a remembrance of the first story rather than an immediate followup.
Old 07-13-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are we allowed to fight in Book Club?
Old 07-13-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Preacher
It is brilliant work dave. Read all the works thanks to my woman.

Damn you for bringing me to Book Talk.

I got back here the same way you got here, I suspect.

The trick to a long thread in book talk is to link to it from Other.
Old 07-13-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. Xenocide and Children of the mind were enjoyable but I'm probably not going to reread those two.

I've only read Ender's Shadow and absolutely loathed it. Sure, it 'tried to put a different spin on the original story', but I also felt it changed some of the important points about the initial story and made Ender seem less important than he clearly was in Card's novel. However, YMMV; I haven't had much interest in reading the rest of the novels.

Thought about reading the Alvin Maker series, but I'm a bit sour on Card's writing after reading "HomeComing"

Michael
Old 07-13-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved Ender's Game and also greatly enjoyed the Speaker/Xeno/Children followups. I've only read Ender's Shadow of the new ones and thought it was only ok.

The change between Ender's Game and Speaker is so drastic that it almost feels wrong to call it a sequel. While I think Speaker for the Dead is a great book in it's own right, I don't think enjoying Ender's Game has any bearing on whether or not someone will enjoy Speaker.
Old 07-13-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fantastic novel. Card's finest work (though I do love Speaker as well).

A MUST-READ for any fan of science fiction. Though if you read a lot of Card (the Homecoming series, for example), you'll start to find his prose repetitive. It's basicalyl all about boys destined to be legends (and they all have mean older brothers and you'll quickly learn that Card believes people hold grudges forever).

Don't get me wrong, Ender's game is a true gem. But reading some of his other work has caused me to downgrade my opinion of his genius just a little.
Old 07-13-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too read it last year after getting the title of some list of must read books. I thought was great. Good read.
Old 07-13-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Having read the Ender books, I got a chance to listen to them on audio books (made MP3s, and listened to them while driving around town), and at the end of the audio book for either "Ender's Game" or "Speaker for the Dead", Card said that "Ender's Game" was expanded from a novella to a novel because it was the only way he could write "Speaker for the Dead" without having to bring the readers up to speed with Ender's backstory, and get to the meat of the story in "Speaker for the Dead" much quicker in the novel. He wrote the novel version of "Ender's Game" on the same terms agreed to for "Speaker for the Dead" at one of those ABA conventions with his publisher at Tor on a handshake.

I finished up the Bean trilogy recently, liked "Ender's Shadow", thought "Shadow of the Hegemon" was okay, and didn't think all that much of Shadow Puppets".
Old 07-13-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does it compare to the short story? I read "Ender's Game" years ago when I read Maps in a Mirror and it was far from my favorite story in the collection (so though I've had the novel on my shelf for years, haven't actually gotten motivated to read it.)

??
Old 07-14-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
How does it compare to the short story? I read "Ender's Game" years ago when I read Maps in a Mirror and it was far from my favorite story in the collection (so though I've had the novel on my shelf for years, haven't actually gotten motivated to read it.)

??
It's world's better than the short story. The short story is good, but the things that made Ender's Game so great are almost completely gone. Maps in a Mirror is my favorite short story collection. There's a lot of stuff in there that I love, particularly "Unaccompanied Sonata" and "The Porcelein Salamander."

"Unaccompanied Sonata" is quite possibly my favorite short story ever. "The Porcelein Salamander" is the greatest fairytale I've ever read which is amazing because it's like 6 pages long. I've never met a girl who didn't cry after reading it either.

Interestingly enough Card himself thinks those two stories along with a third called "Atlantis" (I think!) are his three best works and they encompass everything about him as a writer. I finally managed to read the "Atlantis" short story a few years ago and I was completely and fabulously underwhelmed and the total banality of it. It was rough forcing myself to finish it.
Old 07-14-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
It's world's better than the short story. The short story is good, but the things that made Ender's Game so great are almost completely gone. Maps in a Mirror is my favorite short story collection. There's a lot of stuff in there that I love, particularly "Unaccompanied Sonata" and "The Porcelein Salamander."

"Unaccompanied Sonata" is quite possibly my favorite short story ever. "The Porcelein Salamander" is the greatest fairytale I've ever read which is amazing because it's like 6 pages long. I've never met a girl who didn't cry after reading it either.

Interestingly enough Card himself thinks those two stories along with a third called "Atlantis" (I think!) are his three best works and they encompass everything about him as a writer. I finally managed to read the "Atlantis" short story a few years ago and I was completely and fabulously underwhelmed and the total banality of it. It was rough forcing myself to finish it.
It's my favorite collection too (well, maybe tied with The Best of John Collier). Unfortunately, not a year after I paid almost a hundred bucks for my copy, it was reprinted. Not that I'm not glad that the book is doing well; I just wish I'd sold off my overpriced copy before the reprint.
Old 07-15-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
It's my favorite collection too (well, maybe tied with The Best of John Collier). Unfortunately, not a year after I paid almost a hundred bucks for my copy, it was reprinted. Not that I'm not glad that the book is doing well; I just wish I'd sold off my overpriced copy before the reprint.
Wow I had no idea it was reprinted. And here I thought I finally had a valuable book
Old 07-15-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ender's Game is my all-time favorite science fiction book. Speaker For The Dead is a worthy follow-up, but Xenocide was rather disappointing - so disappointing that I haven't read any of Card's other books that take place in the "Ender" world.
Old 07-15-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Wow I had no idea it was reprinted. And here I thought I finally had a valuable book
Well I just looked at half.com, and maybe what I'm thinking of is a paperback release (it says hardback 1990, paperback 2004). Though it seems like it's a lot cheaper now with some hardbacks going for as low as $25, the truly cheap ones seem to be paperbacks listed in the wrong category.
Old 07-17-05, 05:56 AM

I've read probably 18 or more OSC books. I read the whole Ender and Ender's Shadow series except for the recently released Shadow of the Giant which is the concluding volume to the Shadow series. If you liked Ender's Game but you didn't like Speaker I think you would still like Ender's Shadow. I personally love both branches of the series though they are very different. The Ender series takes a more philosophical approach while Ender's Shadow sticks to a military/sci-fi story line. Bean's story is at least as interesting and entertaining as Ender's.

The Alvin Maker series is excellent; Iíve read all of the volumes released so far. It's a very entertaining retelling of history. There are times when it seems that Card imposes his Mormon religion on the characters a little but it doesn't spoil the story.

I wouldn't recommend the Homecoming series. The first two volumes are really good sci-fi but the concluding volumes are terrible. I have enough complaints about this series to fill up a book of my own.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.