Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

100 People Who Are Screwing Up America : (and Al Franken Is #37)

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 07-06-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Anyone read this yet? I am tempted. I enjoyed Goldburg's Bias. I haven't seen the whole list (only about 10 people, so if you know the list, post it) and it is mainly liberals with a dash of conservatives.

Old Bernie is treated like he was always some conservative troll, which has amused me. Not sure what his particular political persuassion is now. Seems to have politics in line with classicman from what I have seen.....so no one likes him.
Old 07-06-05, 12:28 PM

I can't take it seriously if Al Franken is on there. He's an irrelevant talk show host, he doesn't have any real power or influence.
Old 07-06-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I can't take it seriously if Al Franken is on there. He's an irrelevant talk show host, he doesn't have any real power or influence.
Which is why he's likely running for the Senate.
Old 07-06-05, 02:36 PM

I browsed through a copy at the campus bookstore yesterday at lunch. It seemed as if the main thrust was that liberals are ruining America, and he threw in a couple of non-liberals (irrelevent ones at that - Jimmy Swaggert and David Duke) to have a facade of fairness. Each "chapter" sounded whiny and repetitive. I wasn't impressed.
Old 07-07-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone who puts Al Franken on a list like this and excludes Sean Hannity (which I'm assuming he did) is full of horseshit.
Old 07-07-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is the list online anywhere?
Old 07-07-05, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Duran
Anyone who puts Al Franken on a list like this and excludes Sean Hannity (which I'm assuming he did) is full of horseshit.
I looked for Hannity, Limbaugh, and O'Reilly, and didn't find them. I did find Michael Savage, at least. I don't think he included Ann Coulter either.
Old 07-07-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just another silly, whiney, bitchbitchbitch book. I'm a conservative generally, but I have little patience for this crap.

People actually spend money on this? And time to read it? Amazing...
Old 07-08-05, 07:08 PM

just how powerful does the right wing have to get before they will chill with this persecution/liberal menace crap? I guess there's no reason to let up while there are still people who voice opposition, it's gotten them this far, cowing the media into compliance.
Old 07-08-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lucasorion
just how powerful does the right wing have to get before they will chill with this persecution/liberal menace crap? I guess there's no reason to let up while there are still people who voice opposition, it's gotten them this far, cowing the media into compliance.
They can't let up because this is the way for them to not only gain power, but to stay in power.
Old 07-12-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, you tell them!!! I'm so sick of the [right wing extremists/left wing pinkos] always bashing the [Republicans/Democrats] and coercing the [right wing/left wing] media into blinding the American public into developing opinions that are not my own!!!! It's the [Michael Savages/Michael Moores] and [Tim Robbins/Toby Keiths] of this country that just don't know when to shut up...

Both sides are guilty of it, and both sides just need to shut their pieholes and get to work... if I hear one more time about how [The Republicans/The Democrats] are focusing on bashing, while [The Republicans/The Democrats] are working for the good of the American people, I'm going to be sick.
Old 07-12-05, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by BradJ
Yeah, you tell them!!! I'm so sick of the [right wing extremists/left wing pinkos] always bashing the [Republicans/Democrats] and coercing the [right wing/left wing] media into blinding the American public into developing opinions that are not my own!!!! It's the [Michael Savages/Michael Moores] and [Tim Robbins/Toby Keiths] of this country that just don't know when to shut up...

Both sides are guilty of it, and both sides just need to shut their pieholes and get to work... if I hear one more time about how [The Republicans/The Democrats] are focusing on bashing, while [The Republicans/The Democrats] are working for the good of the American people, I'm going to be sick.
Great post. Especially the "shut their pieholes" part.
Old 07-12-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what's even more pathetic about this book is that the jacket looks like it was designed by a high school student...it's extremely rudimentary and cheap looking.
Old 07-12-05, 10:29 AM

Old 07-12-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by lucasorion
I think it would help them to chill if liberals didn't continue to defect and write them from their point of view. I am sure to most that Goldberg is a turncoat, etc., but he was a very liberal person. Actually, that isn't entirely true....he was always decently socially conservative and fiscally liberal. A rare breed that you don't see too often....like classicman.

My guess is that if a decently known conservative turned liberal, the left would love to read it as well, and be ready with "I told you so" statements.
Old 07-12-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great, I will put this Liberals suck and are ruining America book right next to my Conservatives suck and are ruining America books on my "Partisan Assholes suck" shelf.

This crap is old and tired whether its Franken, Colter, this jackass or however writing these books. It takes so long to sift the truth from the opinion and lies in these books that is hardly worth the effort to read them.
Old 07-12-05, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Great, I will put this Liberals suck and are ruining America book right next to my Conservatives suck and are ruining America books on my "Partisan Assholes suck" shelf.

This crap is old and tired whether its Franken, Colter, this jackass or however writing these books. It takes so long to sift the truth from the opinion and lies in these books that is hardly worth the effort to read them.
Old 07-13-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If there was a book titled
"The 300,000,000 People Who Are Screwing up America"
it might a bit more accurately and appropriately titled for the subject matter. (All those people actually screwing up America)
Old 07-13-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goldberg (the author) was the guest on the Daily Show tonight. I'll post the video of his interview when it's posted on comedy central
Old 07-14-05, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BradJ

I think there is truth in what you are saying, which is why I registered independent when I turned 18. There is a problem with over-idealizing and factionalizing, but when the people in power are abusing that power the next best thing to having a bunch of know-nothing sheep is to have a bunch of people who say, "Ah, that's just the way it is, it would be the same if we put the other guys in there too" - there is a danger in over-equivocating, because that just enables the status quo.
Old 07-14-05, 03:19 PM

The video of his appearance on the Daily Show is at crooksandliars.com and it's hilarious. It's pretty far down the page by this point, the site gets updated several times a day.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by PotVsKtl; 07-14-05 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quicktime:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The...d-Goldberg.mov

or windows media player:
http://movies.crooksandliars.com/The...d-Goldberg.wmv
Old 07-14-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great interview.
Old 07-15-05, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside

Old 07-15-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jon Stewart destroyed him without even getting too partisan - Goldberg must not have been ready for that from a "comedian".

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.