Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks
View Poll Results: have you read Chronicles of Narnia yet?
yes, all of it
48.45%
yes, but only certain books
28.87%
no, not at all but I will eventually
12.37%
no, and I have no interest in this series
10.31%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Have you read The Chronicles of Narnia?

Old 07-04-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you read The Chronicles of Narnia?

This seems to be something that should be a staple of childhood fantasy, yet I find I have not read it once until now, at age 25. And mostly I'm reading it in anticipation of the upcoming film, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.

Firstly, I loved the animated version of Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe. I especially remember loving the twisted little dwarf guy who served the Witch. And that's basically all I had to do with Narnia as a child. I was kind of a lazy kid, and the cartoon was enough for me. I think I might have seen a bit of the BBC productions but not even a full movie. And right now in addition to reading the books (I got the entire boxset recently-- rather flimsy box if you ask me, and not very good in its illustrated designs either. I'd like to someday design a box of my own for this set ) and I'm also very much interested in getting the BBC productions of Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treador, and The Silver Chair. Fortunately this set (as well as the original releases) is getting re-released July 12th with better transfers. Woo!

Anyway, I have now started The Magician's Nephew which is the true first book in The Chronicles of Narnia. I am slightly disappointed that this first film is on The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe since that is in fact the SECOND book in the series, but I accept that the general public will identify more with that title than The Magician's Nephew. Besides, it seems (right now anyway), that The Magician's Nephew serves the same prelude purpose for Narnia as The Hobbit did for Lord of the Rings. Though it may introduce the world and a few very important characters of the series, it is not completely necessary for the enjoyment of the series proper.

I just finished the passage with the great Queen of the first realm that Digory and Polly check out. I forget the name of the realm, but I remember the Queen being quite scary. Even for me, at my age. It's amazing and wonderful how CS Lewis can create that very eery atmosphere without actually showing violence or anything like that. it's all implication. The queen is a terrible person. And a wonderful person at the same time. It's intense. I was scared for the kids, and scared for our real world at the same time. AWESOME! heh.

Anyway, I'm gonna be geeking through this entire series, I think. And I'm going to continue posting in this thread with some updates. I will try to avoid spoilers wherever possible. Wherever not, I will block out the spoilers. I expect everyone else to do the same for the sake of those who haven't finished the series (such as me, for one! ).
Old 07-05-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Magician's Nephew is not the true first book

I've read most of the books, and at least parts of all of them when i was younger and actually have 5 of them on my shelf right now that are about 15 years old. I am slightly interested in going through all of them again though.
Old 07-05-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Congratulations -- you've just triggered a jihad!

Some people (I'm one of them) think the books should be read in publication order. Start with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and move on from there. I think that reading preserves the right surprises, helps you get to know Narnia and the characters in the right order, etc. Others (like the current publisher) believe the books should be read in internal chronological order. To each his own, I guess, but to me, that's like taking a film with flashbacks and re-editing it into chronological order.

Here's what lewis himself said in response to a letter from a reader:
"I think I agree with your order (i.e. chronological) for reading the books more than with your mother's. The series was not planned beforehand as she thinks. When I wrote The Lion I did not know I was going to write any more. Then I wrote P. Caspian as a sequel and still didn't think there would be any more, and when I had done The Voyage I felt quite sure it would be the last. But I found as I was wrong. So perhaps it does not matter very much in which order anyone read them. I'm not even sure that all the others were written in the same order in which they were published."
Personally, I think 1) he was just being nice to a child at the begining of the letter when he says "You're right, kid," and 2) his real opinion -- that it doesn't matter in what order you read the books -- is reflected toward the end of the letter.

As for the original question, I read them when I was a kid but haven't revisited them in a good 20 years. I just picked up the omnibus edition and started reading the other night (with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, of course!)
Old 07-05-05, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, good point. Actually it does seem rather clear that Magician's Nephew was written later in the series through some allusions (ie- he'll mention a character, and then say "...who would later become ____" or "who would later do this or that" etc). So either he had the entire thing mapped out in his head before writing or this is more like a companion piece to the Chronicles of Narnia, written after at least some of the books.

Still, I stand by my Hobbit comparison and will continue reading this one. So far I don't agree with the assertion that reading this first is like rearranging flashbacks since.....so far in my reading anyway....this book is separated from the other ones by at least one whole generation(again, like The Hobbit).
Old 07-05-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i read them 25 years ago as a kid but couldn't tell you a thing about any of them....might read LW&W again before the film...might not.
Old 07-05-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read LW&W a looooong time ago, but nothing else. I've thought about reading them many times, are these books something an adult can enjoy like Potter or The Hobbit? I don't care about them being considered "kids" books, but at the same time don't want books that will bore me either.
Old 07-05-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

These books can be enjoyed by people of all ages. In fact some passages I've read in The Magician's Nephew seem rather dark for children. Mostly it's implication, though.
Old 07-05-05, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read them years ago. I just picked up "The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe" and plan on re-reading the series.
Old 07-06-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
Some people (I'm one of them) think the books should be read in publication order. Start with the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and move on from there. I think that reading preserves the right surprises, helps you get to know Narnia and the characters in the right order, etc. Others (like the current publisher) believe the books should be read in internal chronological order. To each his own, I guess, but to me, that's like taking a film with flashbacks and re-editing it into chronological order.
My sentiments exactly. I read them as an adult, and cannot believe that I didn't read them when I was a kid. My copies are the old paperbacks that my boyfriend had growing up, so they're published in the "original" order. I would definitely say to read them in the original publishing order rather than internal chronology, as ruining surprises is no fun at all.
Old 07-06-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read them all within the last 3 years. In publication order.
Old 07-06-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read all of them back when I was in seventh grade. My mom gave me the hardcover book that contains all the books for Christmas. I plan on reading them again.
Old 07-06-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read these in either 5th or 6th grade. Fantastcic books. I probably never would have found out about the if it wasn't for the recommendation of the owner of a local indepedent childrens book shop.
Old 07-06-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mifuneral
I'm also very much interested in getting the BBC productions of Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treador, and The Silver Chair. Fortunately this set (as well as the original releases) is getting re-released July 12th with better transfers. Woo!
Source?

I thought the July 12 release was a straight-up re-release... these are getting better transfers?
Old 07-07-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I have read the entire series dozens of times, since I was a pre-teen...

I really prefer reading them in chronological order now.
Old 07-07-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's weird. I actually read "A Horse and his Boy" first. My 5th grade teacher gave it to me. I loved it so much that I checked the rest out of the library and read the whole series. But it's been nearly 20 years since then, so I should probably read them again.

That book was the first real "novel" I ever read and started a lifelong obsessions with books, especially fantasy.

I think I'll pick them up again...
Old 07-07-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Source?

I thought the July 12 release was a straight-up re-release... these are getting better transfers?
source: Amazon.com

# Studio: Home Vision Entertainment
# DVD Release Date: July 12, 2005
# Run Time: 522
# DVD Features:

* Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono)
* Disc 1: "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe"
* monaural sound, new digital master
* Interactive game
* Bookworm excerpt on C.S. Lewis from BBC
* Turkish Delight recipe
* Stills Gallery
* Disc 2: "Prince Caspian & the Voyage of the Dawn Treader"
* Interactive game
* Stills Gallery
* Disc 3: "The Silver Chair"
* Interactive game
* Stills Gallery
* Number of discs: 3
Old 07-08-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have read the series probably 10 times, but none since about 17-18 years ago. I want to get them all again, and when I do, I will read them in publication order.
Old 07-08-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I finished LW&W last week. What a short book. I'm going to read them in the published order as well. I read it in anticipation of the film as well. I have a few other summer books to cross off my list before I jump back into Narnia though.

I read maybe half of them back in grade school. Nearly 20 years ago.
Old 07-15-05, 01:31 PM
Political Exile

I read all of them about 5 years ago as an adult, which was right after I bought them. I read them in the order that they were in when they came in the box. I enjoyed them immensely.
Old 07-15-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in the middle of will read it eventually and not at all interested. Is it anything like LOTR? Because if it is, I'm definitely passing.
Old 07-15-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VERY different than LOTR. Quick, easy, streamlined reads. Limited number of characters. Bible allegory, although you can ignore that aspect of it and just enjoy them for the wonderful tales they are (plus filled with morality lessons). I highly recommend these books for anyone.
Old 07-15-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I realize now that I misspoke. I meant to ask, is it written or is the writing style similar to Tolkien?
Old 07-18-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read some of them when I was a kid, and I just ordered the collection from half.com in anticipation of the new theatrical release of LW&W. I'm going to read them in publication order, though.
Old 07-19-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mifuneral
(I got the entire boxset recently-- rather flimsy box if you ask me, and not very good in its illustrated designs either. I'd like to someday design a box of my own for this set )
I take it then, that you didn't buy *this* boxset, the 50th Anniversary edition. It is uniquely sturdy for a paperback boxset, using very hard cardboard, with large trade-sized paperbacks printed on deluxe shiny paper, with color drawings throughout all 7 books.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...409392/dvdtalk

Buying any other paperback boxset--and there are several others--is really a mistake. Then again, so is reading them chronologically rather than following the charming order in which they were written.

As for the BBC/PBS series, go into it with low expectations. I love it, but it needs to be viewed and judged as a children's daytime TV production rather than as a set of movies. It was never meant for primetime. It was produced for Wonderworks with no budget, and belongs in the realm of Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, etc... It's like the Wishbone verison of Narnia--without the dog!

Last edited by adamblast; 07-20-05 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 10:31 PM

narnia those were the days

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.