Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Good Alien Invasion books

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Alien Invasion books

I'm looking for a book similar to War of the Worlds. Something in the present that has aliens stage a worldwide invasion (none of this attack a tiny town and only a few people know about it stuff) and we can't do much to stop them. They take over the world and people have to form a resistence to eventaually win.

I know of these:
Battlefield Earth, War of the worlds.
Old 07-02-05, 09:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
  • John Christopher's trilogy "The Tripods" which I read and enjoyed when I was 11/12. Technically, it probably doesn't quite count as "alien invasion" but the WotW theme is there .
  • Harry Turtledove's "World War" series. I read a couple of the books which have something to recommend them but in the end I lacked the inclination to continue.
  • I've heard that there is an unfinished series by David Gerrold entitled "War Against the Chtorr" but I've not read any of the books myself.
Depending on whether or not you get sufficient replies/suggestions/recommendations, you might also check Google for what has been said on the newsgroups.

Last edited by benedict; 07-02-05 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of my favorites is Niven and Pournelle's "Footfall."

I really liked Turtledove’s Worldwar series, though a bit long. The initial 'Worldwar' tetralogy takes place during World War 2 and the follow-up ‘Colonization’ trilogy begins in the 1960s.

Last edited by Newfrd; 07-02-05 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-02-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 2 by Alan Moore.
Old 07-02-05, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Day of the Triffids? Were they from Earth or Space?
Old 07-02-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
David Gerrold's War against the Chtorr is great, but he's not finished writing it yet...it tends toward the philosophical and psychological a lot.

The aliens soften up the earth with plague, then start a kind of bio-terraforming/invasion....not really quite the same. But there are giant pink worms that eat almost anything and take hefty weaponry to kill!
Old 07-02-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I second Harry Turtledove's alternate history series that include the four books in "The Worldwar Saga," the three books in the "Colonization" series and the new book "Homeward Bound" (haven't read that one yet).

Aliens invade Earth during World War II.

Last edited by movielib; 07-04-05 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-03-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Lost my copy of Footfall unfortunately, but I remember when I read it thinking it was dated as it took place in the 1980s and the Soviets were still around and when I read some of it they were no longer a threat. I have the first book of the WorldWar Saga and will start it when I finish some other books.

What I liked about Footfall and what I read of WorldWar was that it told some material from the invaders POV. That is something that is lacking in a lot of the movies about alien invasion.