Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Stanley Kubrick Archives

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Don't worry about it. Once the first printing is sold out it'll be worth twice that at least.
Old 07-06-05, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I canceled my order from Barnes and Noble, and got it from Target for $130 shipped. I received my copy today with the film strip. The book is gorgeous. Im glad that I was able to land a copy.
Old 07-07-05, 12:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe1086
I canceled my order from Barnes and Noble, and got it from Target for $130 shipped. I received my copy today with the film strip. The book is gorgeous. Im glad that I was able to land a copy.
Glad you were able to get one for that price. What film strip did you get?
Old 07-07-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seem to have gotten a film strip similar to one of the guys in the HTF thread. It's a pathetic little thing that is nearly 100% black. If you look really, REALLY closely, you can see a small speck of white, that I assume is the little shuttlepod thing. I haven't bothered to check where this is in the film yet.

Still, a neat little extra.
Old 07-07-05, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Glad you were able to get one for that price. What film strip did you get?
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Old 07-08-05, 08:24 AM

Hi. Does anyone have the Amazon link where the book is $126? When I go to Amazon, the book is $200. Barnes and Noble has it online for $140, or members get it foe $126.

Thanks
Old 07-08-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Does CostCo carry this? and how much?
Old 07-08-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, also - if I order it now from, say, Barnes & Nobel, will I get a first edition with the film-strip, or is it already in it's second run?
Old 07-08-05, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by billart
Hi. Does anyone have the Amazon link where the book is $126? When I go to Amazon, the book is $200. Barnes and Noble has it online for $140, or members get it foe $126.

Thanks
Amazon has since raised the price to $200. It's no longer available for $126.
Old 07-08-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Does CostCo carry this? and how much?
I tried Costco when I was looking, and it doesnt seem that they carry this. I just re-checked the site, and nothing comes up.

I would try and contact Taschen and see if they could check their warehouse. When I emailed them last week, they still had 10 copies with the film strip. As most places have already raised their price to $200, and every other place doesn't guarentee that the book will include the film strip, this may be a safe bet.
Old 07-08-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if the publisher had a handfull of first-prints, wouldn't it be feasable that the warehouse of a bookstore would only have stock on the first-prints right now?

Anyways, I ordered through B&N's website, I asked a store if they had any, and they said that none of their actual stores carried it in stock - it was special order only. So I just got it through teir site - $140 total, no tax and free 3-day shipping - not bad. I hope it's a frist-printing. It's only been 2 months, and it's mostly been available through special orders, so it should still be a 1st-printing, right?
Old 07-08-05, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Total assumption, but I think that either Taschen or the retailers will specify when the second-prints are released.
Old 07-08-05, 01:54 PM

Taschen's Warehouse is Sold Out

I had already contacted Taschen, and the warehouse is soldout already!! They said that their store would have some in stock, but that would be full price, plus (probably) shipping. They also had told me by email that second printing isn't due out until November, so "theoretically", any new book, that you find anywhere, would have the filmstrip. I personally wouldn't trust buying it used.

I opted for Barnes & Noble online, BN.com, but "by phone" toll free. I first verified that the filmstrip is included! Then, instead of paying $140 for the book alone, I bought a BN membership for 25$ (10% off anything online or in store for 1 year; woo-hoo!), bringing the book price down to $126; the total for both was $151. I ordered by phone to be sure I got the discount on the Kubrick book instantly. BN's shipping is 'free' for anything over $25-Standard Shipping (again, woo-hoo!).

Happy hunting guys, as it looks like word about the book is catching on out there.
Old 07-08-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by billart
They also had told me by email that second printing isn't due out until November, so "theoretically", any new book, that you find anywhere, would have the filmstrip.
That's what I thought. [crosses fingers]
Old 07-13-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My biggest gripe about the book is how many pages they waste summarizing the plots to his films. If you like him enough to pay big bucks for the films, you've probably seen all his films a few times.

What scenes did you all get from the film strip?

Anyone else think taking his film and cutting it to bits and giving it out is creepy?

I'd love to see them do this for other filmmakers.

Hithcock's Notebooks is similar but not as heavy.
Old 07-14-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On one of the attached links, someone had a clip of the bone "turning" into the space ship. One thing I was surprised to learn/see - what that in the last shot of the bone, the bone isn't in the same exact position as the space ship. They are slightly (but obviously) in different positions.

I wonder if this has anything to do about the eye needing a short amount of time to refocus on a new image?
Old 07-15-05, 01:44 AM

I just got my book today, and it rocks! In fact, I thought I was carrying a rock!!!

My filmstrip is the scene of Bowman and Poole discussing HAL's fate in the locked pod, as HAL reads their lips. I was quite happy about this! Kubrick and/or MGM must have been very fond of this pivotal scene, as it's seemingly in every promotional piece or article on 2001. The same scene is the 2-page center spread of the original, horizontal souvenir program (which I own. I wonder how many frames the entire scene was, and how many people got a similar strip? I might have been happier with a light tunnel scene, or the star child, and would have been equally happy with a title frame, spaceship closeup, or maybe the scene where Heywood is reading the zero-gravity toilet instructions

I'm totally comfortable with the filmstrips being distributed, since they have a perishable lifespan anyway. The digital transfers for DVD and future formats come either from the original color gels, or the master negatives, so it's not like it was the last, best print of the film in existence...

You do make a good point, Kube; fans who would pay big bucks for a book like this are not going to need lengthy summaries, but an ultimate edition like this is a time capsule for posterity. Upon his death, there is an ever-growing number of people who have never heard of Kubrick; only possibly seen or heard of one his films; this book will hopefully keep the legacy alive, and god help us, maybe someday see some special features on the DVDs!!

One small complaint was that the cardboard-carrying box was a little beat to hell; did this happen to anyone else?? Barnes & Noble packed it very well, so it went into the parcel pre-beaten...
Old 07-15-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got mine too.

My film strip is the scene where they're in the hanger, and about to get into a pod to go outside - it's a pretty cool shot, so I'm stoked - I compared it to the dvd, and the film strip has a lot more information on the left side.

And as far as the first half of the book, or movie summaries - I think the point is that the book has everything about Kubrick and his films, including summaries and copious photos from them - it's an all in one, go-to guide of everything Kubrick - if it didn't have the summaries and the photos it would be incomplete.

And yes, I got mine from B&N, and my carrying case was torn to hell - (I'm assuming before it was packed - it probably got beat up being shipped to B&N initially - but it did it's job at keeping the book in perfect condition, which was the point of the case, so it's not too big a deal really.

Last edited by slop101; 07-15-05 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-16-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are people who have seen the film really going to read the summaries? I'm not. That space could be filmmed with even more behind the scenes, archival papers etc.

Those who haven't seen the films shouldn't learn about their plots by reading a summary.

Either way, I think the book is great and I'm very happy to own it.
Old 07-17-05, 08:02 PM

Amazon lowered the price again to $126 for anyone that hasn't gotten it yet.
Old 07-18-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kube
Are people who have seen the film really going to read the summaries? I'm not. That space could be filmmed with even more behind the scenes, archival papers etc.

Those who haven't seen the films shouldn't learn about their plots by reading a summary.
To be fair, not every movie has a summary. Also, the summaries that are there are only about one to two pages, and some of them also have behind-the-scenes info within them. They're written more as refreshers so you can get into Kubrick's mind as you immerse yourself in the production info.
Old 07-20-05, 12:10 AM

I see the summaries as a reference point, in case a question pops up regarding chronological events, or a novice wants to sound knowledgable when discussing Kubrick with a decades-old fan...like me. Even 'I' have an intimidating friend who is the ultimate movie/book geek, seemingly familiar with every star and movie plot that ever existed; most of his topics I've never heard of, but he speaks to me like he assumes that I heard of them. I'd swear he had a super computer feeding him the info through earphone... I have to be careful what I talk about with him because he'll run circles around me on my favorite films... I need a way to check his trivia!

As far as those crazy-ass-clowns at Amazon/Borders, lowering the book price again, they've lost my business for a good while; my last order from them was misrepresented in the product thumbnail, and now that I've paid for the BN discount membership (to get the Kubrick book for $126) I'll be sure to get my money's worth out of it; it's easier to qualify for free shipping at BN, and they actually answer questions on the phone before you're ready to order; Amazon hides their phone number until you have a customer service issue now. I guess they are flooded with too much business. I'll give them some relief.
Old 10-30-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone purchased this book recently? BN.com doesn't mention if its in the 2nd printing yet or not. Wondering whether the film strip is still being included....
Old 10-30-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm curious to know too. Also, can you tell from the outside of the book whether it is a first edition or not (like a sticker or something that tells you). I'm wondering because if I see it at a store and shrinkwrapped, how would I tell if there's a film strip inside?

Thinking of getting one for myself for a b'day present.
Old 10-31-05, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Also, can you tell from the outside of the book whether it is a first edition or not (like a sticker or something that tells you). I'm wondering because if I see it at a store and shrinkwrapped, how would I tell if there's a film strip inside?
I purchased my first edition from Amazon and it came in a fitted cardboard box for carrying. I don't think there is any way to tell whether or not it is a first edition just by looking at the outside.

Last edited by Geofferson; 10-31-05 at 10:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.