Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Chuck Palahniuk recommendations?

Old 06-20-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chuck Palahniuk recommendations?

I read Fight Club some time ago (right after the movie came out) and I loved it. I recently picked up Choke on a whim and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just wondering what I should check out next by him.
Old 06-20-05, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Survivor.
Old 06-20-05, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

survivor.
invisible monsters
stranger than fiction

then IMO the rest all blend into one another and you'll be disappointed.
Old 06-20-05, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My order would be:

Survivor
Fight Club
Lullaby
Diary
Choke

I haven't read stranger than fiction and I'm only about 3 pages into invisible monster.
Old 06-20-05, 05:02 PM

I vote survivor next but you can't go wrong with anything. reading haunted right now so we will see if it is good as the rest.
Old 06-20-05, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also reading haunted, but kinda slowly.

The disjointed style works against Palahniuk's strength of creating characters we slowly grow to like, such as those in Survivor and Fight Club. But maybe that's just me. In Haunted, you just get those short stories. When the story is done, you don't even know the characters yet, let alone like them. It's gradually building up with the "real-life" chapters inbetween, but I don't even care about those at this point.

I'm gonna stick with it, but right now I'm not a huge fan of this book.
Old 06-21-05, 12:34 PM
Retired

My order would be:

Fight Club
Survivor
Invisible Monsters
Lullaby
Choke
Diary

And Haunted is up next on my reading list. Not interested in the non-fiction stuff really.
Old 06-21-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only read Fight Club, Survivor, and Invisible Monsters.

I read Fight Club before the movie came out on a recommendation of a friend. I was amazed, even just from the trailer, at how well the adapted the book into a movie. It was almost unfilmable, much like Naked Lunch. Kudos to David Fincher.
Old 06-21-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fight Club has a traditional format. Nothing anywhere near the level of schizophrenia displayed in Naked Lunch. It doesn't even make sense to compare the two in terms of format or...anything, for that matter.
Old 06-22-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not saying it wasn't a traditional format...but seriously...how can you make a movie out of a book that's all gibberish in someone's head? the book is also very non linear.
Old 03-05-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got through my first Chuck book - Diary. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. It seemed to become quite tedious and repetitive. It was almost as though it was tedious because he was trying to lull the reader into a slow pace so his 'twists' or 'surprises' would have more of an impact. There was alot that I liked about the book, but some of it just didn't do it for me. It was especially laborious getting started.

I'm curious about one thing - the ending - if someone can answer this for me...
Spoiler:
The letter to Chuck at the end - seemed juvenile and not very clever to me - but apart from that, why the different name? Who was supposed to have written the diary? Who sent it to Chuck? If it wasn't Misty, then how did this new woman find it?

Also - I haven't given up on Chuck - where should I go next? I loved the FC movie, but am not interested in reading the book. Is Survivor the consensus then?
Old 03-05-06, 01:14 PM
Retired

I'd go with Survivor or Inivisible Monsters, followed by Lullaby and Haunted.

I thought Choke and Diary were pretty mediocre.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 03-05-06 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Diary is my least favorite of his books, so it was probably best that you got that out of your way first. I like his books in the following order:

Fight Club
Survivor
Invisible Monsters
Choke
Lullaby
Diary

..haven't read Haunted or either of the nonfiction works. So, I'm not sure if you want to save the best for last or what, but there's my order of preference.

-JP
Old 03-05-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger

Also - I haven't given up on Chuck - where should I go next? I loved the FC movie, but am not interested in reading the book. Is Survivor the consensus then?
Dont count out FC yet...I was the same way, but just decided one night to sit down and read it, and its my fav by him. I really liked Diary, but I agree it is tedious and takes a while to get going. Its not quite typical of his other reads. I would definitely try Survivor next, probably my next fav after FC. I still have yet to get to Lullaby and its sitting on my shelf waiting, but I keep going to the library and picking up other books.
Old 03-05-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason I don't want to tackle FC is because I already know what happens - the twist. Plus I don't get much time to read and I read pretty slow so I have to be selective. When there's a movie, I watch that instead - I know it's the dummy way to go about it, but that's me.
Old 03-06-06, 01:13 AM

There are a few differences between the book and the movie.

-JP
Old 03-06-06, 08:38 AM

"Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk

great short story...and u can read it for free.

http://www.seizureandy.com/stuff/guts.html
Old 03-07-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another vote for Survivor.

I'm reading Haunted right now, but due to the style as mentioned, I put it down, then pick it up.

I forget which ones I've read by him, but I've liked them all.
Old 03-07-06, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by enrage
"Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk

great short story...and u can read it for free.

http://www.seizureandy.com/stuff/guts.html
Yeah, that short story is...indescribable.

-JP
Old 03-07-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thats the problem with Haunted...There are some really good stories, and some lousy ones so its really hard to get and stay into. As much as I wanted to love this book, the bad parts of it make it just meh for me. I appreciate the attempts, just falls flat too many times imo.
Old 05-05-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On Topic: I'd also recommend Fight Club or Survivor, but especially Fight Club -- even if you've seen the movie, it's a great piece of work.

Kind of Off Topic: I just bought Hauinted a few days ago, and earlier tonight I noticed that I'd left my bedside light on, so I crossed the bedroom to turn off the light, leaving the room in darkness. Suddenly, this ghostly face jumped out at me from the bedside table --
Spoiler:
the face on the cover of this book glows in the dark!
ETA: and it scared the crap outta me!!

Last edited by SMB-IL; 05-05-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-06-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SMB-IL
On Topic: I'd also recommend Fight Club or Survivor, but especially Fight Club -- even if you've seen the movie, it's a great piece of work.

Kind of Off Topic: I just bought Hauinted a few days ago, and earlier tonight I noticed that I'd left my bedside light on, so I crossed the bedroom to turn off the light, leaving the room in darkness. Suddenly, this ghostly face jumped out at me from the bedside table --
Spoiler:
the face on the cover of this book glows in the dark!
ETA: and it scared the crap outta me!!
Really? I have the hardcover, signed , and I tired it, placed it under a lamp too, but it didn't glow. Do you have the soft cover?
Old 05-10-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any news on any new works?
Old 05-10-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chuck supposedly has a sort of 'how to' book on writing that they're working on.
http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/
And aside from chuck, you should check out Irvine Welsh as well. And Irvine’s new book – Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs comes out soon.

If you guys want some free haunted stickers:

http://www.chuckpalahniuk.net/commun...threadid=24311
Old 04-24-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought I would bump this as his new book, Rant, is scheduled for May,1... Looking forward to this one as much as the new HP book. Although Haunted wasn't the best, I think he will come back strong with this one (at least I am hoping so). I am actually working on Lullaby right now as its the only one of his I have yet to read.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.