Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Your Favorite H.G. WELLS story?

Old 05-27-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your Favorite H.G. WELLS story?

I'm in the middle of The Time Machine and I'm surprised at how easy it is to read for a book written in the 1800's. The narrative is terrific.

I haven't read any other stories by H.G. Wells - but do War of the Worlds or The Island of Doctor Moreau read as smoothly as The Time Machine?
Old 05-27-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recall WotW also being an easy read, it's been years though... time to dust off my dad's copy. There are also some short stories written by Wells that I liked.
Old 05-27-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

H.G. Wells was an author I devoured as a youngster -- the ideas are just so great, and the writing style (as the OP has noted) isn't as difficult as you might expect something that old to be. I have a couple of great hardcover omnibuses -- massive tomes of about 1000 pages each, that are out-of-print, but could probably be found in a used book store pretty easily for about $10 each. There are several printings that collect the following 7 novels: "Time Machine", "Island of Dr. Moreau", "Invisible Man", "War of the Worlds", "First Men on the Moon", "Food of the Gods", and "In the Days of the Comet". The first 5 in particular are excellent, and worthwhile especially if your only exposure to HGW is through the movies. WotW in particular is quite different, and much more disturbing and intense than the 50s movie. HGW short stories are also excellent, and there are collections that claim to be "complete" --though out-of-print right now.
Old 05-28-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm re-"reading" The Invisible Man right now, as an audio book. It's more interesting than I remembered, and Griffin is nastier than I remembered, too. The ultimate arrogant scientist.

Wells' earlier work is best. Later on he gets awfully stuffy and utopian. "The Man who could Work Miracles" is a lot of fun.

Writing from the 18th and 19th century works very well in audio. The slower pace of the style works with the pace of spoken word. Modern fiction style favors readers who want to charge through the background information and get to the action. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it is a significant difference in demand on the reader.
Old 05-28-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been awhile since I've read 'the time machine', 'war of the worlds', or 'the invisible man'...but I've got a copy of "The island of dr moreau' modern library edition on my shelf and I've read it 3 or 4 times since I was young....it's always very easy to read and keeps my interest throughout...it's also quite short.

It's always good to see someone getting into the old classics...not everything from that era is a tough read for modern readers

Michael