Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

Old 05-20-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

Anyone else reading this? What are your thoughts so far?

I'm about 1/2 way through and am quite disappointed. The characters are all exactly the same, with no development at all, all have the same Chuck voice. While I loved his first three books, the rest have all been disappointing...this one topping the disappointing list.
Old 05-20-05, 03:33 PM
Retired

I didn't even know this had came out.

I'll probably pick it up, I've loved most of his books. Choke and Diary I didn't like quite as well, but they're still good.
Old 05-21-05, 09:57 AM
RVP

I am only about 1/4 of the way through, so I can't make a judgement call yet. The first "short story" out of the book was disturbingly gross though. I read in a magazine that when Chuck read this story aloud to a group he usually has someone vomit or pass out.
Old 05-21-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, Guts was a tough one to read. I heard it before, so the shock was gone...but I still was disturbed to read it again.
Old 05-23-05, 08:58 AM

"Onstage, instead of a spotlight, a movie fragment:"
I read it yesterday, beginning to end.
It was a new experience for me, not knowing, with each turn of a page, whether I would laugh out loud or vomit. I was definitely nauseous when I finished, but that may have been dinner.
Some of the stories made more of an impression: Speaking Bitterness, Exodus, Punch Drunk, Evil Spirits, and Obsolete.
Spoiler:
Guts was gross, but Exodus made me gag when they began to describe what was coming out of the mouth of Rescue Betty [b]right after the man had his mouth on it![b] Hot Potting was way too graphic. The description of the grease, and the bacon smell, and the flesh coming off, and in what order was foul.

I did like the book, but I probably shouldn't have read it in a day. I could have used some time in between to "digest" it.

Last edited by benedict; 05-24-05 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm about a quarter way through, up to Mrs. Clark telling her story, right after she says "it was a video camera that ruined my marraige."

So far the stories have been entertaining but I remember him saying there were stories that would top Guts, and none of them have shocked me thus far... are they going to get better at all?
Old 06-03-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just started it the other day and am only reading it at work so it'll probably take me awhile to finish. It's not his best work, but I wouldn't say it's bad or even disappointing. And the format is pretty nifty.
Old 06-04-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking about picking this up as I am interested in reading his work...Obviously all Iím familiar with is Fight Club, but I donít want to read that one yet. Would this one be a good one to start with or should I start with other work by him?
Old 06-04-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would start with Lullaby or Survivor.
Old 06-04-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would also suggest Survivor.
Old 06-05-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well my wife picked it up for me yesterday so Ill start with it, and pick up the other 2 suggestions when finished. Thanks for the advice...
Old 06-05-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had an advance copy a while back and thought it was one of the worst books I'd read in a very long time.

Used to be a fan of Palahniuk's, but geez, his recent stuff is terrible.
Old 06-05-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I had an advance copy a while back and thought it was one of the worst books I'd read in a very long time.

agreed on both statements. his non fiction has been "ok" though...
Old 06-08-05, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus

I completely disagree. This book was great. I think the format is completely different from all the normal crap that people publish. Each short story tells part of the overall story and that is how the characters are given depth. I think because it isn't as straightforward as a traditional novel people are giving it a bad rap. I think it is because of its differtness, that it is a solid read. Very entertaining.
Old 06-20-05, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The format is interesting, but hardly original. Unless you've never read The Canterbury Tales, I mean.
Old 06-27-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

LOVED the "character's" individual stories but found myself skimming the "plot" story inbetween. Just couldn't quite get it, I guess...something about people willing to do anything to become famous or, something...
Old 06-27-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread inspired me to search for Guts. I had a hard time finishing it, because I saw a 20/20 episode about the dangers of the
Spoiler:
pool pump intake
, so I knew what was coming.
Old 07-09-05, 12:21 PM
Retired

Finished it a few days ago.

I liked it a good bit. Some of the stories were great. The parts in between weren't great, too many characters and too weak a story compared to his other works.

I'd still rate this ahead of Diary and Choke though, but a good bit behind all his other works.

Still a must read for big Palahniuk fans though.