Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Any novels out there Anne Rice/Fried Green Tomatoes like?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 05-04-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Surely there is bettter word for this but any novels out there one could recommend for summer read that are as scenic or descriptive as Anne Rice or Fried Green Tomatoes? You know vastly beautiful local, or time period, friendships etc. Kinda qualch my travel bug abit
thanks
madara
Old 05-04-05, 07:03 PM

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Old 05-07-05, 10:05 AM

Gospel by Wilton Barnhardt has action in England, Italy, the Middle East, and Africa -- visits to monasteries, museums, and refugee camps. It's about a search for a missing gospel, and there's lots of religious history mixed in. One of the characters has an annoying but funny habit of describing horrific deaths of various Christian martyrs -- at dinnertime.

I liked Fried Green Tomatoes too, but I can't think of another book quite like it. Maybe some of Fannie Flagg's other books?
Old 05-11-05, 03:23 PM

Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All

I recommend Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All : A Novel by ALLAN GURGANUS

This book was very popular a while back so maybe you have already read it. If you have not you may like it as much or more than Fried Green Tomatoes (the book, not the food). It is told from the persective of a woman who has lived past 100 years. When she was young she married an older man who had fought in the civil war. It is very southern and very well written. Hope you get a change to read it.