DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   I'm reading Sin City...why is everyone naked? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/419542-im-reading-sin-city-why-everyone-naked.html)

PopcornTreeCt 04-21-05 05:48 PM

I'm reading Sin City...why is everyone naked?

I mean sure the majority of the time the characters are dressed but pretty much every character is shown naked at least once. Is this common in Frank Miller stories? What's the deal?

Yocke 04-21-05 06:18 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. It fits with the story, doesn't it?

Randy Miller III 04-21-05 06:24 PM

It's pretty common in Frank Miller books. Don't know why, it just is.

PopcornTreeCt 04-21-05 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yocke
I don't see what the big deal is. It fits with the story, doesn't it?

Not 100% of the time.

Yocke 04-21-05 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Not 100% of the time.

Give me an example of when it doesn't.

BizRodian 04-21-05 11:40 PM

I am actually naked some parts of the day as well. Believe it or not!

Jackskeleton 04-22-05 04:54 AM

When doesn't it fit the time?
Charaters are hookers or strippers. other times characters walk in on each other in situations where nudity is normal.

Bandoman 04-22-05 08:40 AM

I'm naked right now.

Josh-da-man 04-22-05 09:38 AM

I think Frank just likes to draw naked people.

In his "Elektra Lives Again" graphic novel for Epic/Marvel, the finale had Daredevil duking it out with a stark-naked Bullseye. It's rare when you see a superhero/supervillain battle where one of the parties has his dong swinging around during the fight.

fumanstan 04-22-05 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think Frank just likes to draw naked people.

In his "Elektra Lives Again" graphic novel for Epic/Marvel, the finale had Daredevil duking it out with a stark-naked Bullseye. It's rare when you see a superhero/supervillain battle where one of the parties has his dong swinging around during the fight.

I always fight my supervillain's naked too.

Duder 04-22-05 11:33 AM

I was naked not a half an hour ago, and am naked under my clothes right now.

To answer the OP's question about why Frank Miller drew all his characters naked at one point or another, I'm pretty sure he did it so people would start threads about it on the internet.

Peperfatso 04-22-05 03:32 PM

For the most part, I think the folks in SIN CITY appear naked as it supports the theme of the books: sin, evil, vices, etc. Visually, I think it makes the books stronger.

PopcornTreeCt 04-22-05 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
When doesn't it fit the time?
Charaters are hookers or strippers. other times characters walk in on each other in situations where nudity is normal.

When Miho helps out Dwight at the Tar Pits. I was scratching my head there. I guess it kinda goes with the theme and adds more to the overall grittyness of the comic. I suppose more filmmakers would use nudity if they could but there's that damn MPAA.

BizRodian 04-23-05 04:39 PM

Miho was diving into tar, that's why she removed her clothes first. I actually hadn't even noticed until I just looked right now.

wolverine1028 05-03-05 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BizRodian
Miho was diving into tar, that's why she removed her clothes first. I actually hadn't even noticed until I just looked right now.

She didn't remove her clothes in the movie though. Too bad!

Jackskeleton 05-04-05 12:56 AM

yeah, it would have been interesting to see if she is really cross eyed.

Josh-da-man 05-04-05 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wolverine1028
She didn't remove her clothes in the movie though. Too bad!

I couldn't tell whether or not she was naked in that scene from the movie or not. She was covered in tar, so she might've been; couldn't quite tell.

In the "Family Values" graphic novel, Miho spends most of her page-time with her nipples sticking out of her shirt. Whether or not that will make it into one of the next movies remains to be seen. (C'mon, Devon!)

Baron Of Hell 05-05-05 05:57 PM

I'm at work, I'm naked and loving it.

Xploited 05-09-05 06:12 AM

Why anyone would complain about this in a series titled 'Sin City' is beyond me...

resinrats 05-09-05 11:56 PM

Maybe Miller is just a perv...