Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Question about past X-men story line?

Old 03-20-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Question about past X-men story line?

I remember about 7-10 years ago there was an X-men story line based on the idea that Magneto won out Professor X as leader of the mutants. Specifically (I think), Wolverine had one claw and one cannon. What was this story line called, and was it ever collected together in one collection? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You're not thinking of the Age of Apocalypse run, are you?
Old 03-20-05, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EDIT: That appears to be exactly right. It's also about to be released in TPB...here's the link for anyone who cares.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Actually, that may be it. I only briefly read about but I was never able to find out more about it. I think it branched over a few different X-Men comics (regular, Uncanny, and maybe Generation X), but I'm not sure.

Last edited by reubs82; 03-20-05 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From what you describe it is AoA which came out ten years ago and Marvel has a sequel of sorts out now. It crossed over into every X-men title for about 5 months. It was one of my favorite storylines and I would highly recommend it. I'm not sure about the new story as I have not yet read it. Amazon has some of the TPB on their site.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=dp_searchBox_1/104-6088268-8674336?url=index%3Dbooks%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26results-process%3Dbin&field-keywords=Age+of+Apocalypse+&x=8&y=10

Edit: Here's a good summary of the story.
http://www.answers.com/topic/age-of-apocalypse

Last edited by Graftenberg; 03-20-05 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-20-05, 12:51 PM
Cool New Member

Sort of. It started as a crossover between Uncanny and X-Men, then I think there was one-shot called X-Men: Alpha.

After that the whole X-line was replaced by four-issue minis.

For example, X-Men became Amazing X-Men , Uncanny became Astonishing , Wolverine became Weapon X , X-Force became Gambit and The X-Ternals , etc.

For more go to www.tplist.com and look under X-Men crossovers.
Old 03-23-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Legion (Xavier's kid) went back in time to kill Xavier, so we had a "world without xavier" where apocalypse took over and magneto led the X-men. A silly premise, sure, but it was fun at the time and pretty radical (I mean, the X-men books were still some of the highest selling at the time and they pretty much replaced them for four months, a big gamble at the time that paid off). It was like an extended "What If..." story.

BTW, Wolverine had one hand chopped off, so it wasn't a cannon, though I can see why you'd think it was.

the first AoA TPB that is newly released has very few of the "main" issues, but a bunch of side stories. I have no idea why they did that. There are still the older collections that collect the four issues of each series under gaudy gold covers. The rest of the AoA TPBs should come out shortly, though, so you might want to wait. As they were all going on simultaneously, I have no idea how they would put them together in bigger compilations, though.
Old 03-23-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

How sad to think that I actually quit reading X-Men before that came out. I'm old.

For my money, the Brood storyline is still one of the best ever. Once they started to have several different comics of X-men, and the story line went between them all, I gave up. It was too hard to find where the next story was (small town) and it became far too much of a gimmick for me.
Old 03-24-05, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, Legion (Xavier's kid) went back in time to kill Xavier, so we had a "world without xavier" where apocalypse took over and magneto led the X-men. A silly premise, sure, but it was fun at the time and pretty radical (I mean, the X-men books were still some of the highest selling at the time and they pretty much replaced them for four months, a big gamble at the time that paid off). It was like an extended "What If..." story.

BTW, Wolverine had one hand chopped off, so it wasn't a cannon, though I can see why you'd think it was.

the first AoA TPB that is newly released has very few of the "main" issues, but a bunch of side stories. I have no idea why they did that. There are still the older collections that collect the four issues of each series under gaudy gold covers. The rest of the AoA TPBs should come out shortly, though, so you might want to wait. As they were all going on simultaneously, I have no idea how they would put them together in bigger compilations, though.
Actually, Legion went back in time to kill Magneto, because he was such an asshole in the future. That was back when Xavier and Magneto were friends though, so Xavier dodged in front of the blast and took the bullet.

Wolverine's hand wasn't cut off, because it would grow back from his healing factor. I thought someone actually STOLE it...
Old 04-13-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wasn't Wolverine's hand blasted off by Cyclops?