DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend monster books? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/413048-can-anyone-recommend-monster-books.html)

justgoofin 03-07-05 05:12 PM

Can anyone recommend monster books?

I like to read horror books about werewolves and stange creatures or monsters that sort of thing. I know there are plenty available but how do you find out which ones they are. I've done searches on horror books but that does'nt narrow it down enough. Since I grew up watching those types of movies like The Wolfman and Frankenstein I love reading whatever books I can find on the subject. Any recommendations would be great.

mwj 03-07-05 07:43 PM

I really like "It" by Stephen King and "Summer Of Night" by Dan Simmons.

justgoofin 03-07-05 08:51 PM

Wow I looked up "Summer of Night" on Amazon and it sounds really good I'll be picking that one up,thanks.

mgbfan 03-08-05 01:40 PM

You'll like Summer of Night. Great read. You can't go wrong with Dan Simmons.

Josh-da-man 03-08-05 06:52 PM

H. P. Lovecraft would be a good place to start.

For werewolves, you could try to track down "Animals" by John Skipp and Craig Spector. And Robert McCammon's "Wolf's Hour."

Sessa17 03-08-05 07:01 PM

I cannot recommend enough Necroscope by Brian Lumley. Maybe my favorite horror book ever It's vampires, but a very different take on them with one of the greatest villains I've ever read in a book. Very dense, loads of truly great horror, fantastic characters with a truly great hero & plenty of othere "creatures" if you like the book & get into the series. The first 3 books are all amazing.

Check it out over at Amazon & read the reviews about it if you want more info.

justgoofin 03-08-05 08:39 PM

This is great I love this type of feedback, this is really helpfull to me to find the types of books that truly interest me. I've often wondered about Necroscope, they sure seem to have quite a few of them at the used book store. I'll probably give them a try also.

mgbfan 03-09-05 09:57 PM

Ann Rice has lots to offer in the monster genre as well.

Baron Of Hell 03-09-05 10:19 PM

There was this crazy series of books with monsters with a name I can not think of and probably could not say it if I knew what it was. Can't even think of the the author now. I have it bookmarked will dig it out when I get home.

Vampire in the Mist was pretty good if you like D&D type vampires. Ravenloft is ok series for strange D & D monster stuff.

Baron Of Hell 03-10-05 12:33 AM

Darn site is dead. However the books I were thinking of were done by h. p lovecraft. He has a bunch of stories about monsters called Cthulhus. I haven't gotten around to reading any of the stories but people like them.

swenjj 03-10-05 01:58 PM

the Hyde effect, by steve vance is my favorite werewolf book ever, i have read it a lot of times

benedict 03-10-05 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
[....] the books I were thinking of were done by h. p lovecraft. He has a bunch of stories about monsters called Cthulhus. I haven't gotten around to reading any of the stories but people like them.

More Lovecraft/Cthulhu stuff in this thread: <A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117150" target="_blank">H. P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos</a>

justgoofin 03-10-05 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by swenjj
the Hyde effect, by steve vance is my favorite werewolf book ever, i have read it a lot of times

I do have another werewolf book by that author that's on my list to be read, I'm hoping that it's a good one. Thanks.

Giantrobo 03-11-05 06:11 AM

Yeah i've been looking out for good Werewolf books.

BJacks 03-11-05 11:29 AM

Moonstone Books has put out a lot of horror-themed graphic novels, including one just about Werewolves.

This gives me the perfect opportunity to link to our recent Werewolf Guide :). I wrote about the Moonstone release in it:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/f...werewolves.asp

Geofferson 03-11-05 11:31 AM

Tick-Tock by Dean Koontz is a passable monster novel.

justgoofin 03-11-05 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Tick-Tock by Dean Koontz is a passable monster novel.

I sometimes forget about the books I've read if it's been awile but is'nt Tick-Tock that one about the voodoo doll?

Baron Of Hell 03-11-05 05:33 PM

Don't know but that reminds me of Dean Koontz's Dragon Tears or Dragon something or other. Its about a kid with super powers that is becoming more and more god like. He uses his power for acts or great evil. He is kind of like that kid that sends people to the cornfield that don't think good thoughts more not as nice.

Giantrobo 03-12-05 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks
Moonstone Books has put out a lot of horror-themed graphic novels, including one just about Werewolves.

This gives me the perfect opportunity to link to our recent Werewolf Guide :). I wrote about the Moonstone release in it:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmtv/f...werewolves.asp

Oh how cool!! Thanks! :up: I'm a big fan of Werewolves.

Picot12 03-12-05 06:18 PM

Try "Contest" by Matthew Reilly. It is about an interstellar survival contest that takes place in the New York City Public Library with several alien contestants and one from Earth.

justgoofin 03-12-05 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Picot12
Try "Contest" by Matthew Reilly. It is about an interstellar survival contest that takes place in the New York City Public Library with several alien contestants and one from Earth.

Thanks for that one I read a review at Amazon and it sounds pretty good I think I'll be picking that one up.

Here's a small part of the review for anyone interested:

ETs with a mordant sense of drama turn the New York Public Library into "the labyrinth" for an interstellar survival game show in this ungainly thriller from Australian Reilly (Ice Station). Seven players, each from a different world, compete for their lives, combating not only each other but also a monster called the Karanodon.

boredsilly 03-13-05 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
I cannot recommend enough Necroscope by Brian Lumley. Maybe my favorite horror book ever It's vampires, but a very different take on them with one of the greatest villains I've ever read in a book. Very dense, loads of truly great horror, fantastic characters with a truly great hero & plenty of othere "creatures" if you like the book & get into the series. The first 3 books are all amazing.

Check it out over at Amazon & read the reviews about it if you want more info.

Your enthusiasm for this book makes me need to read it sight unseen. Do you rec the whole series or just this one book though?

justgoofin 03-22-05 04:26 PM

Any other recommendations would be great, I also like Bigfoot and cryptozoological themes.

pelenor 03-22-05 11:07 PM

I too will highly recommned Brian Lumley. All the books are awesome. Moebius Strip away!! Although, I didn't like the newest series, but Necroscope is one of the best series.

Chris Camfield 04-07-05 12:49 PM

Some nifty takes on werewolves and vampires in the "Dresden Files" series by Jim Butcher. IIRC the second book concentrates on werewolves, and the third, vampires. (The protagonist is a wizard in modern-day Chicago... I'd call the novels dark urban fantasy rather than horror per se.) In any case, the author comes up with some neat variations on them.