Reload this Page >

Stephen King's new book: The Colorado Kid / The Pulse

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 02-28-05, 11:07 AM

Press Release

New Book by Stephen King To Kick Off Hard Case Crime’s Second Year 2005-2006

Lineup Also Includes Lawrence Block, Donald Hamilton, Ed McBain and Donald E. Westlake

New York (February 28, 2005) – Winterfall LLC, creator of the celebrated Hard Case Crime line of pulp-style paperback crime novels, today announced that a new book by Stephen King will be the lead title of the line’s second year. The Colorado Kid tells the story of two veteran newspapermen and their investigation into the mysterious death of a man on an island off the coast of Maine. The book was written specifically for Hard Case Crime and has never previously been published. One of the most beloved storytellers of all time, Stephen King is the world’s best-selling novelist, with more than 300,000,000 books in print.

Launched in September 2004 by novelists and pulp mavens Charles Ardai and Max Phillips (and recently nominated for two Edgar Allan Poe Awards by the Mystery Writers of America), Hard Case Crime revives the storytelling and visual style of the great pulp paperbacks of the 1940s, 50s, and 60s. The line features an exciting mix of lost pulp masterpieces from some of the most acclaimed crime writers of all time and gripping new novels from the next generation of great hardboiled authors, all with new painted covers in the grand pulp style. Authors range from current best-sellers such as Lawrence Block, Max Allan Collins, Ed McBain, and Donald E. Westlake to Golden Age stars like Erle Stanley Gardner (creator of “Perry Mason”), Donald Hamilton (creator of “Matt Helm”), Wade Miller (author of Touch of Evil), and David Dodge (author of To Catch a Thief).

Cover artists include the legendary Robert McGinnis, creator of the posters for the original Sean Connery James Bond movies, as well as other award-winning painters chosen for their ability to work in the vivid and dramatic style that made pulp paperbacks so memorable. After seeing samples of Hard Case Crime’s books, Mickey Spillane – creator of Mike Hammer and one of the best-selling paperback writers of all time – wrote, “Those covers brought me right back to the good old days.”

The Colorado Kid will be published in October 2005 in the classic pocket-sized mass-market paperback format in which hundreds of millions of books were sold during the heyday of pulp fiction. The book will be published through Winterfall’s ongoing collaboration with Dorchester Publishing, the oldest independent mass-market publisher in the United States. The book will also be available in audiobook and e-book editions from Simon & Schuster, publisher of Stephen King’s work since 1998.

“Steve is an extraordinary writer, and as much a fan of classic paperback crime fiction as we are,” said Charles Ardai, Hard Case Crime’s editor. “We originally contacted him to see if he’d be willing to write a blurb for our line, and he decided that what he really wanted to do was write a book for us instead. We’re thrilled that he wanted to be part of Hard Case Crime and we’re very excited to get to introduce the world to the baffling mystery of The Colorado Kid.”

“This is an exciting line of books,” Stephen King commented, “and I'm delighted to be a part of it. Hard Case Crime presents good, clean, bare-knuckled storytelling, and even though The Colorado Kid is probably more bleu than outright noir, I think it has some of those old-fashioned kick-ass story-telling virtues. It ought to; this is where I started out, and I'm pleased to be back.”

Since its debut in 2004, Hard Case Crime has been the subject of enthusiastic coverage by a wide range of publications including The New York Times, USA Today, Vanity Fair, Playboy, U.S. News & World Report, BusinessWeek, The Chicago Sun-Times, The Houston Chronicle, New York magazine, the New York Post and Daily News, Salon, Publishers Weekly and USA Weekend, as well as numerous other magazines, newspapers, and online media outlets. The Chicago Sun-Times wrote, “Hard Case Crime is doing a wonderful job publishing both classic and contemporary ‘pulp’ novels in a crisp new format with beautiful, period-style covers. These modern ‘penny dreadfuls’ are worth every dime.” Playboy praised Hard Case Crime’s “lost masterpieces,” writing “They put to shame the work of modern mystery writers whose plots rely on cell phones and terrorists.” And the Philadelphia City Paper wrote, “Tired of overblown, doorstop-sized thrillers…? You’ve come to the right place. Hard Case novels are as spare and as honest as a sock in the jaw.”

Hard Case Crime is scheduled to publish nine books in 2005, increasing to a schedule of one title per month in 2006. The next two titles in the line, due in stores at the start of March, are Home Is the Sailor by 1950s pulp master Day Keene and Kiss Her Goodbye, an original novel set on the mean streets of Edinburgh, by the rising young Scottish noir stylist Allan Guthrie.
Old 02-28-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Awesome news. I didn't expect to see any new fiction from him for quite awhile.
Old 02-28-05, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Beat me posting this by a sliver...
Old 02-28-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The folks at Hard Case Crime have been publishing some terrific books, both originals and reprints, since starting up last year. They're doing some great work over there.
Old 02-28-05, 03:11 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
After the baseball book and now this, I'm wondering if King is forcing himself out of his horror literature stereotyping come hell or high water...if so, bummer for me, because crime and sports books hold little, if any, appeal for me...
Old 02-28-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that King has finished up his Dark Tower cycle, and gone into "retirement," I wouldn't mind it if he did some smaller just-fucking-around projects like this.

He could certainly use a little fun injected into his writing.

(Then again TGWLTG was pretty much Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
Old 02-28-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd buy that for the retro cover alone, awesome!
Old 03-01-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Now that King has finished up his Dark Tower cycle, and gone into "retirement," I wouldn't mind it if he did some smaller just-fucking-around projects like this.

I guess his meaning of "retirement" is from the horror genre. I enjoy all his stuff, so I'm looking forward to some new avenues from him.
Old 03-01-05, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I'd buy that for the retro cover alone, awesome!
Same here. I visited www.hardcasecrime.com and was so impressed with the look of these books and the authors that I placed an order for the first four installments yesterday.
Old 03-01-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Weird, but I loved TGWLTG though I have talked with several people that didn't like it.

I'm looking forward to this book.
Old 03-02-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Same here. I visited www.hardcasecrime.com and was so impressed with the look of these books and the authors that I placed an order for the first four installments yesterday.
There's some kind of saying about books that this reminds me of.
Old 03-02-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In this case, you definitely CAN judge a book by its cover (in fact, you often can). I've read 3 or 4 of the Hard Case books so far and reviewed two of them, and have been very pleased. One of the others, which I didn't care for as much as some, was recently nominated for an Edgar award. Those guys are really doing some fine work.
Old 03-02-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

well hell
silly me, i thought retirement.. meant no more books

good to see thats not the case
Old 03-02-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then again TGWLTG was pretty much Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I certainly disagree with this

by the way did I read that correctly? a Stephen King book you can fit in your pocket??!!
Old 03-03-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think in King's case, retirement means only a couple books per year.
Old 03-04-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, cool news. I didn't hear about this line but it sounds very interesting. Anyway, it's nice to see that ol' Steve isn't really retired (I had a hard time believing that would actually happen) and I'm looking forward to getting this. Great cover too.
Old 07-12-05, 12:47 PM

Not on the subject of The Colorado Kid, but on another new Stephen King novel...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...576044-9513660

As an exclusive gift to Amazon customers, Hall of Fame author Stephen King shares the chilling first chapter of a work in progress. In "The Pulse," a sunny afternoon in the park turns into a scene of terror for a young man who witnesses the beginning of a deadly "event."
Click the link to read the first chapter.
Old 07-12-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
After the baseball book and now this, I'm wondering if King is forcing himself out of his horror literature stereotyping come hell or high water...if so, bummer for me, because crime and sports books hold little, if any, appeal for me...

based on that last post
doesnt sound like this is the case
Old 07-13-05, 01:36 PM
Banned

Thank God!
Old 07-19-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-26-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

i really should have read that article closer
we were in books a million the other night.. and i decided to pick it up (not realizing it hadnt been released yet)
I went through the king section in fiction.. and couldnt find it
so I figured it might be under a different genre.. so I hunted around some more and never could figure it out... when i got home, i decided to look it up just for the hell and noticed the release date

oh.. and to make matters worse.. the night i was at books a million, just happened to be the they were releasing the new harry potter crap (I didnt know that ahead of time, I was over at best buy and figured i would hop into BAM while i was there).
Old 07-28-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I would like for him to do a few more like The Eyes of the Dragon.
Old 07-28-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I would like for him to do a few more like The Eyes of the Dragon.
Eyes of the Dragon rules. I could see some more adventures set in this world.
Old 07-29-05, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
You're in luck, Eyes of the Dragon takes place in the same world as the Dark Tower series.
Old 08-13-05, 02:33 PM
Banned

Well, I've been so occupied reading INSOMNIA right now that I hadn't found a window of opportunity to read Chapter 1 of THE PULSE. I just did now, after a gap of time with nothing to do at work, and though I love the events of the final paragraph, I must admit I'm stunned at the awkwardness of the actual writing style. Frankly, it reads like something a high schooler would write. Is this a very early King piece, only now being released? I just can't imagine that this is really a new piece of work from the master, what with lines like:

"There was an expression of undoubted contentment on his face to go along with the spring in his step." (undoubted contentment?)

"Three kids were clustered around the window, book bags at their feet, waiting to receive goodies." (the master of environmental texture is reduced to "goodies"?)

"Clay thought, as he almost always did on one level of his mind or another when he saw a variation of this behavior, that he was watching an act which would once have been considered almost insufferably rude--yes, even while engaging in a small bit of commerce with a total stranger--becoming a part of accepted everyday behavior." (man, that's a hell of a convoluted sentence to convey such little vital information)

If this is the King of 2005 writing this, I dearly hope we're looking at an uncorrected first draft. I can understand King's talent for unique, compelling plots perhaps fading over time, but his actual talent at manipulating and commanding language...?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.