Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Marvel ever going to release golden-age reprints?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 02-26-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've released the first 10 issue reprints of Captain America Comics from the 40's but what about Sub-Mariner, Human Torch, Marvel Mystery Comics?? DC has released its classic archives.
Old 02-26-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You can get every spidey book in the form of 10 cd's.
Old 02-26-05, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton

Spidey is Silver Age. Golden age is aprox 1937-1945
Old 02-27-05, 01:03 AM
Cool New Member

I've seen a tpb format of some golden age Marvel comics that had a painted cover featuring Captain America, The Submariner and The Human Torch.

And the other day at the comic book store there was a comic that had classic Submariner vs. Human Torch reprints for 4.95. It looked clean. Glossy cover and pages with the original covers reprinted inside for each chapter.
Old 02-28-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So i guess those WWII era sories will be locked up never to be seen i guess.
Old 03-01-05, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Admitadly there isn't a lot out there, but maybe you haven't come across the following? Try the Golden Age Of Marvel Volume 1, Captain America the Classic Years, Captain America Classic Years Volume 2 and the recent Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics Volume 1.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 03-01-05 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-01-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are more coming. I think they're going to be (or have already) releasing some Marvel Masterworks volumes with material from the Golden Age.
Old 03-10-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did you hear that?
Old 03-11-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I can't speak for Ben, but you're looking at the first Marvel Masterwork volume (last pic in my last post). It's out, on the shelf at a few stores I've been to in the past month.
Old 03-13-05, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Digweedrocks
Spidey is Silver Age. Golden age is aprox 1937-1945
You could probably add another 10 years to that. The Silver Age "officially" started in 1956 (with the release of Showcase #4)
Old 03-16-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah Golden Age is 1938 with Action Comics #1 and ending when Fantastic Four #1 ushers in the Silver Age in 1961. I like the Silver Age a lot, but Golden Age is my favorite. Not only for the WWII comics but also for the classic scifi elements of the 50s.
Old 03-16-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
The silver age is usually traced to the first appearance of the new Flash ('56, I believe) or the first appearance of the Martian Manhunter, I forget what year that was. The silver age definitely predates Fantastic Four, but as Stan Lee would remind us, that kicked-off the Marvelous Age of comics.

And good news for those wanting some golden age Marvel, this is in the June solicit's:

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: GOLDEN AGE SUB-MARINER VOL. 1
Written by BILL EVERETT
Penciled by BILL EVERETT
Cover by ALEX SCHOMBURG
Marvel continues collecting its classic Golden Age material, reprinting early adventures of Namor! This monumental hardcover volume remasters and restores the first four historic issues of SUB-MARINER from 1941. See the Sub-Mariner battle Nazis in defense of his underwater kingdom; also featuring the adventures of the Angel!
280 PGS./All Ages $49.99
ISBN: 0-7851-1617-6
Old 03-17-05, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Namor vs. Nazis =
Old 03-23-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I just picked this up. It's pretty cool. They scanned the entire book, covers, ads, letters page and all from Amazing Fantasy 15 through Amazing Spider-man 500. A few of the earlier books aren't in perfect condition, and a few of the scans are a little crooked, but it's still a very cool thing to have for 40 bucks.

Now if they would only do this for some more of their big titles...
Old 03-23-05, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mutley Hyde
Namor vs. Nazis =
I was thinking just the other day, or hoping, that when the Namor movie comes out, Columbus will have set it during WWII. Namor versus Nazis would rock.
DC really has done a better job in collecting their golden age material, across the board they have been kicking Marvel's ass for several years as far as trading material but it seems like Marvel is starting to move in the same direction.
Old 03-24-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D.Zero
DC really has done a better job in collecting their golden age material, across the board they have been kicking Marvel's ass for several years as far as trading material but it seems like Marvel is starting to move in the same direction.
I think part of that's due to the fact that Marvel doesn't have the same quality of Golden Age material as DC. In general, I have to say that Marvel does a MUCH better job than DC at reprinting their material, Silver Age in particular, in all sorts of forms for whatever budget. The Essentials/Masterworks option is a good example of this.