Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Film Noir Books that you would suggest

Old 12-25-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Film Noir Books that you would suggest

Hi, I have a descent collection of films of the film noir era. I recieved a book for Christmas that I love. I have some other books and magazines, anything like this you would suggest.

Old 12-30-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

its been days....help
Old 12-30-04, 07:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Not a personal recommendation but....

.... here is a link to an Amazon list: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...984533-0567132

Your book and some others are mentioned here: http://members.aol.com/alainsil/noir/index.htm

Another Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...67132?v=glance

And here's one for Powell's: http://www.powells.com/subsection/Fi...nFilmNoir.html
Old 12-30-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I highly recommend "The Art of Noir: The Movie Posters and Graphics from the Classic Era of Film Noir" by Eddie Muller.

I don't have your Taschen Film Noir book, but they put out some beautiful books. Next year they're releasing The Stanley Kubrick Archives which should be amazing.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/exce.../show/1/81.htm

Last edited by William Fuld; 12-30-04 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eddie's a very cool guy and his book is a lot of fun. Check it out.
Old 12-30-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, though not books on the FILM portion, I would read anything by Chandler who's novel's and short pulp stories spawned off a lot of Film Noir (Big Sleep, Double Indemity and Murder My Sweet come to mind).
Old 12-31-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks guys....thats what i needed
Old 12-31-04, 11:39 PM

id highly recommend Dark City. its a fun and easy read.
Old 12-31-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Well, though not books on the FILM portion, I would read anything by Chandler who's novel's and short pulp stories spawned off a lot of Film Noir (Big Sleep, Double Indemity and Murder My Sweet come to mind).
Double Indemnity is a Cain novel, if I recall correctly, Chandler just assisted with the screenplay. Pretty cool how a great film-noir writer adapts a novel of another great film noir writer, eh?
And besides these two, Dashell Hammett is also great.
Old 01-01-05, 04:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Now that the thread is drifting away slightly from the Film Noir of the title I'd take this opportunity to link back to the earlier discussion of the literary genre:
Old 01-01-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the link....I am looking more for studies and observations On Film Noir...defining the Genre and what not....And i Love the old still pics
Old 01-10-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
thanks for the link....I am looking more for studies and observations On Film Noir...defining the Genre and what not....And i Love the old still pics
If you're interested in stills, then "The Noir Style" by Alain Silver and James Ursini is a must-have. It has a ton of great stills, with accompanying text providing insight into each of them. It's pricey ($50), but, if you search long enough, you can probably get a good price for it at half.com (where I got mine) or Ebay.
"Hard Boiled: Great Lines From Classic Noir Films" be Peggy Thompson and Saeko Usukawa also features a lot of stills and poster reproductions. I believe it's out of print. It took a long time for me to find. (Again, try half.com.) If you can't find it, "The Little Black and White Book of Film Noir" by the same authors features most of the same quotations, but doesn't have any of the pictures, since it's only a pocket-sized book.

Here's my recommended reading list from "The Complete List of Film Noir on DVD...." thread.

Film Noir: An Encyclopedic Reference To the American Style (Third Edition) Edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward
Dark City: The Lost World Of Film Noir Eddie Muller
The Film Noir Reader: Volumes 1-3 Edited by Alain Silver, et al
Hard Boiled: Great Lines From Classic Noir Films Peggy Thompson, et al
More Than Night: Film Noir In Its Contexts James Naremore
Film Noir: The Dark Side Of The Screen (20th Anniversary Edition) Foster Hirsch

Mike Keaney's "Film Noir Guide: 745 Films of the Classic Era, 1940-1959" is supposed to be very good. It's supposed to be similar to the above-mentioned "An Encyclopedic Reference To The American Style", but has a lot more entries. Unfortunately, it's $75, and I've never been able to justify spending that much on it.

I bought "The Big Book Of Noir" quite a while back. It's a bit dry at times, but it does cover noir in films, literature, radio, and television. It also has a great interview with Abraham Polonsky. It's not the best book you'll find on noir, but you can usually get it real cheap at half.com. (I think I only paid about $5.00, including shipping.)

Then there are some film books not fully dedicated to noir that have some great information.

"The Bad and the Beautiful: Hollywood in the Fifties" by Sam Kashner and Jennifer MacNair has interesting stuff od "Night of the Hunter" and "Sunset Boulevard". Plus it has a whole chapter on the greatest movie ever made, "Sweet Smell of Success".

"Conversations with Wilder" by Cameron Crowe should be required reading for any true film fan. From a noir aspect, you'll get Wilder's thoughts on "The Big Carnival/Ace In The Hole" and "Double Indemnity". And if that's not enough, you get to hear Wilder's thoughts on more recent cinema, such as "Titanic" (He HATED it.) and his feelings about Raymond Chandler. ("He was a lot like Hitler in many ways.")

"Painting With Light" by John Alton, one of the greatest cinematographers in film history and responsible for the look of many classic films of the noir movement may only be of interest to obsessives like myself, but it's well worth picking it up, if you can find it.
Old 01-11-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that is a perfect list....I'll be looking out for a few of these
Old 01-11-05, 02:33 PM

Paul Schrader's 1972 "Notes on Film Noir" essay is still the most interesting study of the movement IMO. It's included in one of the Film Noir Reader collections (I believe the first one).
Old 01-11-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by legend42
Paul Schrader's 1972 "Notes on Film Noir" essay is still the most interesting study of the movement IMO. It's included in one of the Film Noir Reader collections (I believe the first one).
I agree. And it is, indeed, in the first volume of "Film Noir Reader".
Old 01-11-05, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by legend42
isnt this included in The Killers Criterion?
Old 05-20-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toccoa_winters
isnt this included in The Killers Criterion?

bump for that
Old 09-21-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody read the dark side of the screen by foster hirsch?

Old 09-22-05, 12:43 PM

Good Read

Yes, I've read this. I really enjoyed it too.
Old 09-24-05, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

might just be my next book....i found a few that i want to pick up and add to the collection