Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Finished + Release Date Confirmed !!

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Finished + Release Date Confirmed !!

Old 12-20-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And she's done. The Leaky Cauldron and other news sites are reporting it, JK has finished her manuscript, and the publisher will announce the release date within a day.

Anyone remember how long the wait was for the last book between her finishing and the publish date?
Old 12-20-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a link up on Yahoo! too.

J.K. Rowling Completes 6th Harry Potter Novel

Looks like we should be seeing it around mid June again.
Old 12-21-04, 06:52 AM

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Book 6 Release Date Confirmed!!

July 16, 2005! (Thanks to Mugglenet for the info!)

Mark your calandar!

(I thought this would be better than a general "merged news" thread for this particular subject)
Old 12-21-04, 08:38 AM

Cool
Old 12-21-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WOO HOO!
Old 12-21-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn... I should probably start on the 5th one.
Old 12-21-04, 11:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
(I thought this would be better than a general "merged news" thread for this particular subject)
OK, having taken note of what you've said, we now have a new thread; albeit a merged one.

Last edited by benedict; 12-21-04 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Um.... member feedback.
Old 12-21-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah baby! Half Blood Prince, The Solomon Key, Return of the Sith and Batman Begins all in one year! What a great year it's shaping up to be.
Old 12-21-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't wait.

I read all the books last summer for the first time... and waiting for #6 has been killing me. Glad I started to late so that I didn't have to wait in-between books.
Old 12-22-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes!
Old 12-22-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Yeah baby! Half Blood Prince, The Solomon Key, Return of the Sith and Batman Begins all in one year! What a great year it's shaping up to be.

oh man not being a harry potter reader i thought for a minute there that there we re future books with the names Batman Begins and Return of hte Sith and thought, wow she's gonna get sued
Old 12-22-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool. I gotta stop stallin' and get around to reading the books....
Old 12-22-04, 07:06 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by glassdragon
oh man not being a harry potter reader i thought for a minute there that there we re future books with the names Batman Begins and Return of hte Sith and thought, wow she's gonna get sued

That certainly would make for an interesting book.

"And Harry Potter, who has the scar upon his head, turned the corner to see Batman fighting a powerful Sith lord."
Old 12-22-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does JK make that many typos or do I not understand publishing? How long does it take to type it into a computer and start printing copies? I'm sure some insider will post here with the info to make me look foolish, but I have to ask. I've never understood why that takes so long.
Old 12-22-04, 08:03 AM

They purposely wait for the school year to end before releasing the Harry Potter books so that kids don't slack off on school work to read them
Old 12-22-04, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Does JK make that many typos or do I not understand publishing? How long does it take to type it into a computer and start printing copies? I'm sure some insider will post here with the info to make me look foolish, but I have to ask. I've never understood why that takes so long.
Writing is hard work. You just don't crank out a book in a few days. They take years sometimes. "The Lord of the Rings" took Tolkien like 10-12 years to finish. There's more than one draft and lots of rewrites. As a writer you have to make sure the audience can understand the story. There's plot development, etc. Try to write a book and see how long it takes you. People got upset because "Goblet of Fire" was way overdue. I sympathise with J.K. I am not a published writer but I have written a couple of books for myself and it isn't easy. Potter fans should really cut Ms. Rowling a break. I am actually surprised and amazed she has churned out so many already.
Old 12-22-04, 10:55 AM
Retired

He meant why's it take so long to get it out now that she's finished it and turned it in to the publisher. Not why'd it take her so long to write it.
Old 12-22-04, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
He meant why's it take so long to get it out now that she's finished it and turned it in to the publisher. Not why'd it take her so long to write it.
Oh, okay. My apologies.
Old 12-22-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Well, you're not too far from the truth there. There are going to be novelizations of Begins and Sith. Just not written by JK.
Old 12-22-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ceeece
Writing is hard work. You just don't crank out a book in a few days. They take years sometimes. "The Lord of the Rings" took Tolkien like 10-12 years to finish. There's more than one draft and lots of rewrites. As a writer you have to make sure the audience can understand the story. There's plot development, etc. Try to write a book and see how long it takes you. People got upset because "Goblet of Fire" was way overdue. I sympathise with J.K. I am not a published writer but I have written a couple of books for myself and it isn't easy. Potter fans should really cut Ms. Rowling a break. I am actually surprised and amazed she has churned out so many already.
Plus she's expecting a kid in the Spring... that's gotta account for something.

But she better get cracking on Book 7.
Old 12-22-04, 02:30 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys think you have been waiting a while, George RR Martin has taken over 4 years to give us his next installment of a Song of Ice and fire and Not to mention Stephen Kings Dark Tower series, That said I am eagerly awaiting The Half Blood Prince
Old 12-22-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Amazon.ca preorder is in! Still haven't gotten past the second book though...
Old 12-22-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As has been noted, I meant the time between finishing the writing and printing the books. I took her announcement as all the proofreading and such was done, and now it was just the wait for the physical printing.

Slightly OT, but did I dream this? I thought I saw a news thing where they had machine that could make a book on demand in less than an hour or so. You just selected your title, and it printed it up and bound it right there. It was supposed to save bookstores storage space. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Old 12-22-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many pages is it? Hope its a biggy.
Old 12-22-04, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by madara
How many pages is it? Hope its a biggy.
We don't know how big it is exactly, but it's shorter than OotP. I take it to mean it's at least bigger than GoF though, since she doesn't say it's shorter than that.
People got upset because "Goblet of Fire" was way overdue.
I think you're talking about "Order of the Phoenix". GoF was released a year after the previous one, while it took 3 years for OotP.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.